Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Canadians schedule change for CTV

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    You can watch the Nationals on Skate Buz - that is the equivalent to CBC's BOLD on the internet.

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...c-8e709f30a54f

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladskater View Post
    You can watch the Nationals on Skate Buz - that is the equivalent to CBC's BOLD on the internet.

http://www.skatebuzz.com/ViewNewsArt...c-8e709f30a54f
    According to this link, there will be full streaming for Junior events, but only Senior practices. That's the maddening part. Unless CTV and TSN televise every skater in every Senior event, or broadcast via the web at least, we have lost a whole lot with CTV and TSN. Skate Canada, please bring back CBC!!! This whole thing stinks!

Custom Title
    Northern Dancers

I was so mad that a couple of days ago I sent an e-mall to Skate Canada. Unfortunately I could not find an e-mail address to high-ranking someone in the Skate Canada.
    I did not get any answer to my e-mail so I think they just disregarded my e-mail.
    Perhaps we can get start a petition, send a complain-letter(e-mail) or do something????

I also think that if Skate Canada sold a right to transmit Nationals to media company (regardless of who that company is) they should assure that people not only would be able to see competition on TV but also wiould be able to view it on the internet and/or view all of it later on the internet.

Custom Title
    Maybe it's because Skate Canada is having a tough time selling tickets and they are trying to get more local fans to actually go to the competition in Moncton. This year they are even throwing in free hamburger and hotdog packages with the tickets. That's never been done before. Chttp://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/eventsresults/competitions/tickets.aspx
    And there is no title sponsor. (they should call it the CTV Canadian Championships)
    And for sure Moncton is not an easy or cheap place to get to from the rest of Canada.
    Everyone is bemoaning the loss of the excellent skating coverage provided by Bold. But in all fairness the live streaming link on Skatebuzz is not active yet and there is still hope!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by trains View Post
    Maybe it's because Skate Canada is having a tough time selling tickets and they are trying to get more local fans to actually go to the competition in Moncton. This year they are even throwing in free hamburger and hotdog packages with the tickets. That's never been done before. Chttp://www.skatecanada.ca/en-us/eventsresults/competitions/tickets.aspx
    And there is no title sponsor. (they should call it the CTV Canadian Championships)
    And for sure Moncton is not an easy or cheap place to get to from the rest of Canada.
    Everyone is bemoaning the loss of the excellent skating coverage provided by Bold. But in all fairness the live streaming link on Skatebuzz is not active yet and there is still hope!
    Wow. We have to sell skating tickets with hot dogs now. Seriously. This is ridiculous. Well, here's something to consider. An all event pass to Senior Canadians is about $150 per person. That's the cheapest option. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money. Add in travel costs, hotel, and so on, and most people can't afford to go to Nationals. You have to be an uber fan to make that kind of commitment. If the tickets were more reasonable, more people will buy. I'm also really curious to see if the crazy schedule change will actually result in less money for Skate Canada. I'm sure that Saturday night will be a full house, but will the rest of the day's events be full? I'm guessing not. Skate Canada needs to go find themselves a title sponsor. I'm sure it can be done. And then make sure the tickets are more affordable. Until there is a title sponsor, Nationals should only be held in main metropolitan areas where the odds of filling an area are pretty good. BC is pretty expensive for for most athletes and fans (Vancouver would have been better than Victoria) but the attendance was really good for Junior and Senior events. There is a sizeable population to support it. Anything in Southern Ontaro works (ie. Ottawa, greater Toronto area, greater Hamilton area, Niagara, Kitchener/Waterloo, London). Same with Montreal/Quebec City. I image Calgary or Edmonton could also fill an arena.

And I'm with Katia here. If CTV doesn't want to show all the events on the main networks, that's fine. Just stream the events live on the Internet so we get to see all the skaters. This will not destroy ticket sales. Anyone who really loves skating, has the money, and wants to go see the event live will do so. For the majority of the rest of the country, live on the Internet would be fine. At the very least, the entire events should be available online after they are completed and the main networks have shown their skating specials. I'm sure PJ would be willing to provide her commentary.

We should complain to CTV too. Point out that CBC always does a significantly better job. If CTV wants to make skating fans happy they have to at least come close to matching what CBC does.

Tripping on the Podium

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    Wow. We have to sell skating tickets with hot dogs now. Seriously. This is ridiculous. Well, here's something to consider. An all event pass to Senior Canadians is about $150 per person. That's the cheapest option. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money. Add in travel costs, hotel, and so on, and most people can't afford to go to Nationals.
    Until there is a title sponsor, Nationals should only be held in main metropolitan areas where the odds of filling an area are pretty good. BC is pretty expensive for for most athletes and fans (Vancouver would have been better than Victoria) but the attendance was really good for Junior and Senior events. There is a sizeable population to support it. Anything in Southern Ontaro works (ie. Ottawa, greater Toronto area, greater Hamilton area, Niagara, Kitchener/Waterloo, London). Same with Montreal/Quebec City. I image Calgary or Edmonton could also fill an arena.
    I think that the $150 is not the problem, it's the cost of flying to Moncton and staying there for a couple of days. As much as i hate to see everything in the SW Ontario, there is something to be siad for cheaper flights and lots of options....

I'm also extremely upset with CTV re their so called "skating coverage"

K

At least CTV has only taken a couple of events. CBC is still televising the Worlds, Grand Prix, etc.

Custom Title
    Skate Canada lists on their website a possibility of all day live streaming for Sat Jan 21.
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1390/language/en-US/Default.aspx
    There is nothing listed for Friday, but there is hope!

I don't have the schedule handy at the moment, but it looked to me like TSN was going to be covering at least most of Friday's senior events ?? Hard to say what they will actually do, but the time slots seemed to align with the actual event times...

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernDancers View Post
    An all event pass to Senior Canadians is about $150 per person. That's the cheapest option. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money. Add in travel costs, hotel, and so on, and most people can't afford to go to Nationals.
    Wow. I wish we could get an all-event pass to US Nationals for $150. You can't get even an upper-bowl seat in the rafters for that! A preferred seating pass for 2013 US Nationals cost $913. And of course, there's hotel and travel costs on top of that. Since USFS doesn't often hold Nationals on the East coast, the travel costs for Easterners can be very high; the total cost for US Nationals can easily top $2000.

Quote Originally Posted by mmcdermott View Post
    I don't have the schedule handy at the moment, but it looked to me like TSN was going to be covering at least most of Friday's senior events ?? Hard to say what they will actually do, but the time slots seemed to align with the actual event times...
    Replying to myself since I had a minute to look this up...

Here's the TSN Schedule: http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/feature/?fid=51109

If I'm getting my time zone conversions right, they're starting Ladies Short coverage at 2:00 Eastern, which would be 3:00 Atlantic. The ladies short starts at 1:15 Atlantic, so they won't be covering most of the Ladies live. If they show some taped it could cut into the Pairs short which starts at 4:05 Atlantic (3:00 Eastern).

With the Ice dance, on the other hand, it looks like they're starting at 7pm Eastern but the event doesn't start until 8:55 Atlantic (7:55 Eastern) ???? I guess they'll show some taped stuff from earlier before then (?). Weird.

With the mens' short on Saturday they're starting at 2pm which is before the event starts at 3:15 Atlantic (2:15 Eastern). I wouldn't be surprised if they take up a bunch of time with chatting and replays though ... There's nothing more aggravating than commentators sitting there chatting when you know there are live events in progress!

Custom Title
    " here's nothing more aggravating than commentators sitting there chatting when you know there are live events in progress! "

There is nothing more aggravating then someone trying to make you buy tv coverage when you long time ago decided not to have tv, and watch all your movies/tv shows/sport events thru the internet.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(I don't have time/energy to watch dumb TV programms as there are so many other things to do )
    Last edited by katia; 01-12-2012 at 05:42 PM.

Custom Title
    Well, I certainly would never be able to attend a US Nationals then. $913??? That's nuts!!!

Custom Title
    Well, that's really good news!! As long as they stream whatever they don't show on TV, I'm fine with that. Between the 2, we'll be fully covered. That's my main concern. Novice and Junior will be fully streamed on SkateBuzz. We should not be missing skaters and teams at Senior because they happen to not be in the final flight. I would like to see ALL skaters.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast