Canadians schedule change for CTV | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Canadians schedule change for CTV

mmcdermott

On the Ice
We should complain to CTV too. Point out that CBC always does a significantly better job. If CTV wants to make skating fans happy they have to at least come close to matching what CBC does.

KMK0902

On the Ice
Wow. We have to sell skating tickets with hot dogs now. Seriously. This is ridiculous. Well, here's something to consider. An all event pass to Senior Canadians is about $150 per person. That's the cheapest option. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money. Add in travel costs, hotel, and so on, and most people can't afford to go to Nationals.
Until there is a title sponsor, Nationals should only be held in main metropolitan areas where the odds of filling an area are pretty good. BC is pretty expensive for for most athletes and fans (Vancouver would have been better than Victoria) but the attendance was really good for Junior and Senior events. There is a sizeable population to support it. Anything in Southern Ontaro works (ie. Ottawa, greater Toronto area, greater Hamilton area, Niagara, Kitchener/Waterloo, London). Same with Montreal/Quebec City. I image Calgary or Edmonton could also fill an arena.

I think that the $150 is not the problem, it's the cost of flying to Moncton and staying there for a couple of days. As much as i hate to see everything in the SW Ontario, there is something to be siad for cheaper flights and lots of options....

I'm also extremely upset with CTV re their so called "skating coverage"

K

mmcdermott

On the Ice
I don't have the schedule handy at the moment, but it looked to me like TSN was going to be covering at least most of Friday's senior events ?? Hard to say what they will actually do, but the time slots seemed to align with the actual event times...

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
An all event pass to Senior Canadians is about $150 per person. That's the cheapest option. I don't know about you, but that's a lot of money. Add in travel costs, hotel, and so on, and most people can't afford to go to Nationals.

Wow. I wish we could get an all-event pass to US Nationals for $150. You can't get even an upper-bowl seat in the rafters for that! A preferred seating pass for 2013 US Nationals cost $913. And of course, there's hotel and travel costs on top of that. Since USFS doesn't often hold Nationals on the East coast, the travel costs for Easterners can be very high; the total cost for US Nationals can easily top $2000.

mmcdermott

On the Ice
I don't have the schedule handy at the moment, but it looked to me like TSN was going to be covering at least most of Friday's senior events ?? Hard to say what they will actually do, but the time slots seemed to align with the actual event times...

Replying to myself since I had a minute to look this up...

Here's the TSN Schedule: http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/feature/?fid=51109

If I'm getting my time zone conversions right, they're starting Ladies Short coverage at 2:00 Eastern, which would be 3:00 Atlantic. The ladies short starts at 1:15 Atlantic, so they won't be covering most of the Ladies live. If they show some taped it could cut into the Pairs short which starts at 4:05 Atlantic (3:00 Eastern).

With the Ice dance, on the other hand, it looks like they're starting at 7pm Eastern but the event doesn't start until 8:55 Atlantic (7:55 Eastern) ???? I guess they'll show some taped stuff from earlier before then (?). Weird.

With the mens' short on Saturday they're starting at 2pm which is before the event starts at 3:15 Atlantic (2:15 Eastern). I wouldn't be surprised if they take up a bunch of time with chatting and replays though ... There's nothing more aggravating than commentators sitting there chatting when you know there are live events in progress!

katia

On the Ice
" here's nothing more aggravating than commentators sitting there chatting when you know there are live events in progress! "

There is nothing more aggravating then someone trying to make you buy tv coverage when you long time ago decided not to have tv, and watch all your movies/tv shows/sport events thru the internet.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrr.

(I don't have time/energy to watch dumb TV programms as there are so many other things to do:) )

Last edited:

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
Well, that's really good news!! As long as they stream whatever they don't show on TV, I'm fine with that. Between the 2, we'll be fully covered. That's my main concern. Novice and Junior will be fully streamed on SkateBuzz. We should not be missing skaters and teams at Senior because they happen to not be in the final flight. I would like to see ALL skaters.

katia

On the Ice
The funny title on the Skate Canada site
"Live Streaming from the 2012 Canadian Figure Skating Championships"
And then when you click on the link ......." no live streaming on Friday, Saturday, Sunday "
OH, well, at least on the internet I can watch every other national competition but Canadian.
Tks so much Skate Canada.
ROTFL

NorthernDancers

On the Ice
They are saying on the site that Saturday up to 3pm is TBD. Ridiculous. if they can stream all the Juniors, they should be able to streat the Seniors that won't make it to TV. That's true of Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I have no complaints against SkateBuzz seeing that they go out of their way to provide free services even when CTV has the (presumably) profitable contract to broadcast the event. I'm instead rather grateful they try to pick up what they can from the cutting floor to bring to true fans of figure skating. Of course, it is more ideal with CBC and SkateBuzz working with Skate Canada for the complete package. Let's put some effort to ensure that would be the case in the future.

katia

On the Ice
Skate figuring

I have nothing against skatebuzz. What I complain about is Skate Canada. If they are getting contract they should assure that fans and viewers would be able to watch skating on the internet. And if they would not be able to watch it streaming live they would be able to watch it later. In full.
At the moment I can not watch it live on the internet, I can not watch it later on the internet, I even can not buy the segment from TSN/ctv to watch it on the internet -- to watch it live streaming OR to watch the whole competition later.
And that is what I complain about.
Also Skate Canada is talking about how no one is interested in skate figuring. How people can be interested in something they can not watch? I mean TV is so......... 20 century.

Last edited:

derplutz

Rinkside
when you all listen to the sultry tones of rod black all your disappointments about this new schedule change will be forgotten

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
In the US, IceNetwork shows everything live of US Nationals that is not going to be shown on NBC or UniversalSports. Also, IN will have the NBC/US portions on demand some time after the live showings.

I don't see why SkateBuzz can't negotiate something similar for Canadian Nationals. It's not as if the TV networks plan on doing reruns of a sport that is supposedly of so little interest to Canadian audiences. :sheesh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
You have to pay for IN or Universal Sport and from what I know, the services aren't always so great. SkateBuzz is free to all Canadians and I think it's not geoblocked either.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
It's an odd arrangement in general, though. CBC has international events, CTV has events that are skated in Canada regardless of Nationals/international. Skatebuzz, like SF mentions, is free and Skate Canada likely has no interest in alienating a stream of money (CTV). If CTV's contract states that it gets all seniors, it does.. Skatebuzz can do nothing.

skatinginbc

Medalist
The funny title on the Skate Canada site "Live Streaming from the 2012 Canadian Figure Skating Championships". And then when you click on the link ......." no live streaming on Friday, Saturday, Sunday "
Haha, that's really funny.:rofl:

trains

On the Ice
2 days ago Skate Canada released 275 rink side seats for sale. (hmm...perhaps an empty reserved VIP section that nobody showed up for?)
http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/NewsDetails/tabid/2157/sni[2797]/1408/language/en-US/Default.aspx
And you can clearly see on the live streaming video that nobody but people involved with the event has turned up to watch Junior Canadians. It's empty.
It's kind of sad to see a Canadian skating event with that turnout.