2 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 59.70 29.88 30.82 7.86 7.36 7.61 7.82 7.86 1.00 #9
3 Alissa CZISNY USA 57.25 27.49 29.76 7.50 6.93 7.43 7.64 7.71 0.00 #8
4 Kanako MURAKAMI JPN 55.77 28.88 26.89 6.86 6.39 6.79 6.79 6.79 0.00 #7
5 Viktoria HELGESSON SWE 54.16 28.13 26.03 6.57 6.14 6.68 6.57 6.57 0.00 #6
6 Mae Berenice MEITE FRA 50.49 28.71 21.78 5.61 5.18 5.50 5.57 5.36 0.00 #5
7 Sonia LAFUENTE ESP 49.51 27.43 22.08 5.68 5.21 5.71 5.61 5.39 0.00 #1
8 Yretha SILETE FRA 48.25 26.60 21.65 5.46 5.18 5.43 5.61 5.39 0.00 #2
9 Lena MARROCCO FRA 43.95 22.95 21.00 5.32 4.93 5.32 5.43 5.25 0.00 #3

What a marathon. The SD in half an hour! This daytime schedule (for North American East Coasters) is wonderful, but it's too packed! My neck is aching!

skatinginbc

Medalist
Exactly. I was thinking "Oh my god, she can be the World champion this year" and then she went down on the steps.

oleada

Record Breaker
I really loved Elizaveta. For 14, she does a wonderful job with the tango. Her jumps are so easy and soft, and her musical expression and maturity have already improved since Canada. Deserved lead.

Alissa was a disappointment. I thought she should've gone behind Kanako. Her jumps were shaky and obviously UR, but her programs are so empty, as well. Lovely spins as usual.

Carolina's skated this SP a lot better, but since she already has qualified for the GPF, I'm assuming her heart isn't as into it as the past couple of weeks. I still love the program, though.

Murakami's combo was obviously UR and I hate how they've failed to channel her natural energy and speed this year!

I really liked Silete. Overall, the ladies were a huge step up from pairs and dance.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Audrey who Alissa is channelling (I believe) did smile a lot but Audrey wasn't plastic, she had other expressions than just a smile. For most of the time I think the smile works, but I actually fine the constant and only smile to be off putting. Everything else is beautiful (arms, head etc).

Agree. I think the smile in the middle of the program, with exception to spiral sequences, is just the look she has - toothy might be the word. I love this program for her...loved last years SP as well.

See, I just don't get the gush over Caro. IMHO, her long limbs and height makes her awkward. Reminds me of Buteryskya which you all know I'm not a fan of (thou Caro has softer knees). Alissa is somehow able to make her height a asset - though I agree this was not her best performance. In the end, I think Alissa's scores were correct and I thought Caro's technical scores were too high but would agree with the overall placements.
Neither had their best skates today, but for me this season Kostner gets bonus points for choreo and interpretation, in addition to speed. Alissa keeps recycling the same soft skates and I find her mannerisms (including the shoulder-hunching to express joy...huh?) irritating and her slowness dull. I only started to enjoy Kostner last season. Alissa was on emotionally today though, I do agree with Nadine about that, and I certainly admire her fortitude and progress. ETA: And needless to say, her spins!

Mirunna

Record Breaker
The GOE on Alissa's last 4 elements is insane! I would have Kanako third to be honest.
Liza is amazing, I have never seen a 14 year old skating like her. I know she has her issues, but she was so into her performance today, no wonder she got the best mark on this component(compared to her other components).

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Neither had their best skates today, but for me this season Kostner gets bonus points for choreo and interpretation, in addition to speed. Alissa keeps recycling the same soft skates and I find her mannerisms (including the shoulder-hunching to express joy...huh?) irritating and her slowness dull. I only started to enjoy Kostner last season. Alissa was on emotionally today though, I do agree with Nadine about that, and I certainly admire her fortitude and progress.

Interesting...I think the shoulder thing is a mannerism of humility and likely not something she realizes she does. I LOVE that when she skates, she pulls her shoulders back and opens up her chest. What you find as slowness and dull, I find reassuring, relaxed and emoting power under grace and control. For me, these kinds of programs for Alissa help her demonstrate that sometimes less is more. I'm not a fan of program with so much flailing of arms and legs ect.

One of the skaters, I can't remember, has this weird knee-jerk in their right leg. Not unlike the mule kick but this is done at the knee and it drives me crazy...can't remember the name. She does it going into jumps, going into spins, coming out of jumps and spins ect. Oooh, wish I could remember the name....

The young French girl reminded me of a Surya Bonaly - but much better behaved.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I am very happy for Liza. The marks look about right to me, around 3 points behind Alyssa and 4 points behind Caro in PCS but making up those differences in TES. Regardless of what happens in the LP this has been an incredible GP season for Liza.

Art&Sport

Medalist
I like Alissa and Carolina -- they each have different strengths, and apparent weaknesses. If either truly stepped up, they should be rated better than Tukt at this point, but instead they seem to be skating like, "Oh well, Tukt can't skate at Worlds." IMO, both Alissa and Carolina should be skating like, "I'm the best!" Both Alissa and Carolina showed nerves and some faltering in their programs, but overall okay. To me that's less than what they are both capable of doing and showing. I was particularly disappointed with Alissa's shaky approach to her jumps. She skated this program with more confidence at Skate America. Alissa has got to go to the next level -- amp up her confidence and gain a stronger comfort level with her jump technique or else continue to play it safe, falter slightly under nerves and land again in 4th or 5th at Worlds. Alissa could be podium material -- even gold at upcoming Worlds (without Kim and Ando there) if she skates to her full potential.

Similarly for Carolina, who I would say is somewhat stronger with her confidence (in addition to having more political clout behind her), but Carolina still has a tendency to falter in big moments. IF you want to be a champion, you've got to "grab the bull by the horns." That goes for both Alissa and Carolina.

As far as Alissa's smile, she does have a wide Cheshire-like smile anyway. It is clearly obvious when it is forced, and megawatt gorgeous when it is genuine. I think Alissa's coaches are trying to get her to stop looking so down on herself when she doesn't skate her best. That is all part of developing confidence -- not going around with a hangdog expression. Be positive and look to the positives -- believe in yourself and put your best face forward at all times.

Murakami had a lovely skate, Tukt did what she can do, and the other ladies were good -- no real standouts.

prettykeys

Medalist
Interesting...I think the shoulder thing is a mannerism of humility and likely not something she realizes she does. I LOVE that when she skates, she pulls her shoulders back and opens up her chest. What you find as slowness and dull, I find reassuring, relaxed and emoting power under grace and control. For me, these kinds of programs for Alissa help her demonstrate that sometimes less is more. I'm not a fan of program with so much flailing of arms and legs ect.
I agree, I really like Alissa's SP this year. She and Akiko have my fav SP's for this season's Ladies.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Congrats to Elizaveta. I was impressed. Her jumps are just fabulous and she has good artistry, only 14 oh my! Alissa jumps were shaky today but overall she skated a pretty good program. Caro looked like a goddess on the ice. I think her SP is my favorite this season. I thought that Victoria H. did a a great job today. She has a lightness and a nice flow going on and I like that. Lovely skated program by Kanako.
It was nice to see her so happy in the K&C.

LLLLutz

Rinkside
Lovely skate from Liza, the girl is just amazing :)

Loved Caro's SP as well, the program is a true masterpiece in terms of choreography and interpretation and I can't get why Alissa's empty soppy program gets the same IN and CH score as Caro's.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Lovely skate from Liza, the girl is just amazing :)

Loved Caro's SP as well, the program is a true masterpiece in terms of choreography and interpretation and I can't get why Alissa's empty soppy program gets the same IN and CH score as Caro's.

Caro is not higher than Alissa in artistry and presentation skills. Their styles are different, but that doesn't mean Caro excels over Alissa in interpretation and choreography. You may enjoy Carolina's programs better -- a lot of fans do. However, Alissa and Carolina are not that far off in terms of artistry, altho' Alissa does edge Caro in spins and Caro has more speed and stronger jumps (altho' Caro's jumps aren't always consistent). Both of them need to step up if they want to be World champion.

LLLLutz

Rinkside
Caro is not higher than Alissa in artistry and presentation skills. Their styles are different, but that doesn't mean Caro excels over Alissa in interpretation and choreography. You may enjoy Carolina's programs better -- a lot of fans do. However, Alissa and Carolina are not that far off in terms of artistry, altho' Alissa does edge Caro in spins and Caro has more speed and stronger jumps (altho' Caro's jumps aren't always consistent). Both of them need to step up if they want to be World champion.

I didn't say Caro is higher in artistry, cause I'm not sure what artistry is in figure skating, but Carolina does have better interpretation - her SP is sophisticated, innovative and very musical. And let's not forget she skates to Shostakovich, which is a huge challenge by itself and she might be the only woman in figure skating be able to skate to this piece like she does.
Alissa is, well, Alissa - soppy girly music, soppy girly skating, big smile. Yes, she has maybe the best flow out there and she knows to use her hands and hit great positions. I'm still waiting her to leave her comfort zone and go for it with some exciting stuff.

dwiggin3

Final Flight
Alissa - soppy girly music, soppy girly skating, big smile. Yes, she has maybe the best flow out there and she knows to use her hands and hit great positions. I'm still waiting her to leave her comfort zone and go for it with some exciting stuff.

You make an interesting point but I wonder, which is better or rewarded the most, a skater who knows exactly what works for them and sticks to it and does it better than most or a skater who tries different things, some producing good results, some not? While I agree that innovation and excitement is good in skating, I also think there is real merit is knowing what works well for you and perfecting it.

thoughts anyone?

LLLLutz

Rinkside
You make an interesting point but I wonder, which is better or rewarded the most, a skater who knows exactly what works for them and sticks to it and does it better than most or a skater who tries different things, some producing good results, some not? While I agree that innovation and excitement is good in skating, I also think there is real merit is knowing what works well for you and perfecting it.

thoughts anyone?

The judges are human after all, they are getting bored - it's just a question of when...

brightphoton

Medalist
That argument of avant-garde interpretation vs. tried and true interpretation only works if both of them are good. The only thing Alissa has in common with Audrey is the color of her hair. Hepburn was regal and sophisticated, yet mischievous and free. I certainly don't remember Hepburn having a O_____O look on her face for an entire film.

coolboogie22

Match Penalty
I'm proud that Elizaveta win the SP. I hope that it will wake up somes of the ladies. Today, it take a triple flip and a triple lutz for winning and, one of these 2 in combination with a triple toe or loop. The Kostner strategy triple toe/triple toe and an other easiest jump solo is ridiculous many ladies in the junior can do that (I'm wondering if she was inspired by Laura Lepisto with this strategy, it work in the past put for Sochi it will not work). I wish to see a change in those ladies who don't make the big jump in the SP because in Sochi the russian skater and other skaters like yu-na kim and maybe joannie rochette will go for the big trick. :)

Last edited: