Ladies SP, 11/18/11 | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP, 11/18/11

prettykeys

Medalist
That argument of avant-garde interpretation vs. tried and true interpretation only works if both of them are good. The only thing Alissa has in common with Audrey is the color of her hair. Hepburn was regal and sophisticated, yet mischievous and free. I certainly don't remember Hepburn having a O_____O look on her face for an entire film.
omg...LOL

LLLLutz

Rinkside
Yes, they are human but how do you know they are getting bored?

Remember Sale & Pelletier in 2002 winning the technical scores and losing gold medal in presentation score for their two - three year old program, as soppy and empty as it gets ?
That's how she will know...

krenseby

Final Flight
Remember Sale & Pelletier in 2002 winning the technical scores and losing gold medal in presentation score for their two - three year old program, as soppy and empty as it gets ?

Whether they lost the gold medal at that point or actually won is not clear cut, now is it?

Dots

Final Flight

...and nothing would make you feel better I'm sure. :unsure:

Anyway, too bad about the jumps, Alissa's sp is one of my favorites ever. Her dress is very beautiful too :clap:

Art&Sport

Medalist
I didn't say Caro is higher in artistry, cause I'm not sure what artistry is in figure skating, but Carolina does have better interpretation - her SP is sophisticated, innovative and very musical. And let's not forget she skates to Shostakovich, which is a huge challenge by itself and she might be the only woman in figure skating be able to skate to this piece like she does.
Alissa is, well, Alissa - soppy girly music, soppy girly skating, big smile. Yes, she has maybe the best flow out there and she knows to use her hands and hit great positions. I'm still waiting her to leave her comfort zone and go for it with some exciting stuff.

Fair enough, LLLLutz, you feel that Caro has better interpretation and choreography than Alissa. I think that Alissa has very good interpretation skills (as good as Caro) and better musicality than Caro, and more accomplished spins. I agree with you that Caro's choreography for her programs this season slightly edges Alissa's choreography, but that doesn't mean they aren't fairly equal in their overall ability to perform choreo.

"Soppy" for you, may be "beautiful and lyrical" to others. In any case, both Alissa and Carolina need to step it up and perform their programs with a lot more confidence, charisma and take charge attitude.

If you are not sure what "artistry" means in figure skating, start by taking a look at clips of Janet Lynn, Toller Cranston, John Curry, Robin Cousins, Jeffrey Buttle, Stephane Lambiel, Michelle Kwan, Gordeeva/Grinkov, Matt Savoie, and Johnny Weir at their best. Then you might want to take a look at both of Dai Takahashi's and Jeremy Abbott's programs this season. If that doesn't help explain artistry for you, I'm not sure what will.

Bruin714

On the Ice
Pl. Name Nation TSS
= TES
+ PCS
+ SS TR PE CH IN Ded.
- StN.
1 Elizaveta TUKTAMISHEVA RUS 62.04 34.99 27.05 6.68 6.25 7.07 6.89 6.93 0.00 #4
2 Carolina KOSTNER ITA 59.70 29.88 30.82 7.86 7.36 7.61 7.82 7.86 1.00 #9
3 Alissa CZISNY USA 57.25 27.49 29.76 7.50 6.93 7.43 7.64 7.71 0.00 #8

The scoring of the PCS is still awful. Notice how Kostner received higher PCS than Czisny in every category (SS TR PE CH IN). The judges are just lazy.

jiggs

On the Ice
The scoring of the PCS is still awful. Notice how Kostner received higher PCS than Czisny in every category (SS TR PE CH IN). The judges are just lazy.

I disagree. Today, Caro was better than Alissa in all categories, which was reflected in PCS, and rightly so. Alissa's program is not nearly as difficult transition-wise and Caro was faster and had more attack. Alissa was cautious and slow today. When Alissa is on, her PCS should be similar to Caro's. But today, she just wasn't on. Elizaveta's PCS, on the other hand, were a little too high.

Last edited:
I disagree. Today, Caro was better than Alissa in all categories, which was reflected in PCS, and rightly so. Alissa's program is not nearly as difficult transition-wise and Caro was faster and had more attack. Alissa was cautious and slow today. When Alissa is on, her PCS should be similar to Caro's. But today, she just wasn't on. Elizaveta's PCS, on the other hand, were a little too high.
Small point of fact: the words you attribute to me are not mine but Bruin714's. I agree with you re: Kostner and Czisny (per my previous comments in this thread).

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States
Queen Tut does it again. This child is astounding. What aplomb! And those who say she lacks artistry are nuts. She'll get better with years but this was a fierce tango.

ITA! Queen Tut has won my heart! Crossing fingers the puberty monster is kept at bay from this little girl! HUGE talent there!

Yretha is my new favorite French skater! So much potential there!

Alissa-once again I had heart in mouth. Like with Mirai, I just cannot relax when watching her performances-especially in the SP. Imo she is very lucky to be ahead of Murakami after the SP. Carolina did very well in spite of a hand down on her second jump and the fall on the SS-she attempted and landed a 3T/3T! Great fight!

Remember Sale & Pelletier in 2002 winning the technical scores and losing gold medal in presentation score for their two - three year old program, as soppy and empty as it gets?

Mme Le Gougne was especially bored. ;)

lavender

Record Breaker
I like Kanako's new mature look but her legs are just out of control. They are all over the place. She needs to learn to stretch out her legs..straighten them out or something.

There's been some crazy falls this year. Carolina was really into her program so the fall wasn't a big deal. I like her long better though.

seniorita

Record Breaker
I m so happy with Carolina 's sp that I forgot all the rest, I have watched it in the two previous Gps already but just cant get enough of it!
And I m also thrilled with Elisaveta, especially thinking that in the past her sps were her nemesis, and the fact that Eurosport guys cant spell her name right, it is hilarious!

Well done to Victoria also!
What happened to Kanako this year, i feel they want to make a 17 skate like Arakawa, her programs dont suit her.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I m so happy with Carolina 's sp that I forgot all the rest, I have watched it in the two previous Gps already but just cant get enough of it!
And I m also thrilled with Elisaveta, especially thinking that in the past her sps were her nemesis, and the fact that Eurosport guys cant spell her name right, it is hilarious!

Well done to Victoria also!
What happened to Kanako this year, i feel they want to make a 17 skate like Arakawa, her programs dont suit her.

I feel like Kanako has grown a bit. She seems all legs like Christina Gao has been in the last few year and has likely loss her center of gravity. Just from looking at her, she seems uncomfortable with her new body...

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I really like Viktoria Helgesson's SP this season. Granted, I usually like her programs. It was the only SP I watched - I can't bring myself to be that interested in the ladies' comp this season, for some reason.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
For me, these kinds of programs for Alissa help her demonstrate that sometimes less is more. I'm not a fan of program with so much flailing of arms and legs ect.

I think the less-is-more approach is only effective for skaters with outstanding skating skills. I personally don't think she has those. I get that that's the thing team Alissa is going for, but I haven't warmed up to it yet. For instance, what transitions does she actually have in both her programs to receive the A-grade marks? Alissa is a lovely skater, but I'm feeling awkward about the sudden top-skater treatment. I felt the same way about Kanako last season (who I realise is a very different type of skater to Alissa. I mean in terms of the gap between what they show and what I see as hype and the marks they receive).

The mule-kick you're referring- is it Caroline? Tara?

Last edited:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Just caught up with all top 3 performances on youtube. The 2 old guards stuck to the same old shtick again. Even if they are almost a decade older than Liza, their maturity, experience, competitive attitude apparently don't mean a heck of a lot competing next to her. They are suppose to have greater skating skills, but if it is a competition based on what one does on ice that day? Their score should be lower.

Carolina upping her game to the easiest 3:3 of the whole lot, and Alissa having her usual 4 minutes Ice Princess Me special on the Life channel (Audrey Part II following Audrey Part I last year - sponsored by Colgate. I am wondering if it will be a trilogy). Both a bit overmarked as usual in PCS (were they really that close to Liza with what they put out there? Come on!). Carolina's program still feels emotional shallow, vapid and there's nothing integrated about her package, except maybe a more 'interesting' background music used which she remember to pose on time during this Shostakovich piece. She failed to engage to it with any depth or reading of the music or even feelings (other than trepidation which was written all over her face). But apparently depth, sophistication, and interpreting just don't mean a great deal in competitive figure skating these days.

I don't know why people can't imagine this piece of music can work for skating, it has such a deliberate musical structure, sharply punctuated with motif through out. It is hardly shapeless, languid or over archingly lyrical that actually requires interpreting. If you can tap to the beat with your fingers and hum it, you sure can skate it. It should be stressed, it is not a competition of music choices but how the skater respond to it, and Carolina was just routine about it just like all her past performances.

If anything, the music cleverly hid Carolina's lazy failing arms, clumsy forms and lack of style in general. I often wonder if Carolina ever does dumbbell lifting during her training, because if there are any muscles between her torso to her finger tips, she rarely make use of them especially in the 2nd half!! Just watch her last year's Tango SP also confirms this. Her performance here is just as musically contrived and lack finesse as it has always been. Mind you, it is certainly an accomplishment she can make Shostakovich sound so vanilla, regardless of the lemon zing her costume implied, artificial sweetened and there's nothing genuine about it.

Liza proved why she is the great ingenue (soon no more) that would take the ladies by the storm this year. She is ballsy, gutsy, she owned the ice when she is ON and there's a world of difference between her performance attitude to the 2 other old guards. She attacks her program, she loves performing. Whatever limited/lacking program Liza were handed with, she did her best and was committed to it. The little ice coverage seems to be a trend right now, since points are rarely properly rewarded or penalized anyway. Of course Her physical size and limitation doesn't help either. I have said Liza is better than her programs and I am sticking to it. It is likely her choreography is the cheapest produced out of the 3, yet Liza's has added enough of her own embellishment to make it her own. Imo It is a better tango (even with a little Russia Diva attitude thrown in) than ALL of ladies's Tango Stampede last year including Akiko's and Carolina's.

I can see her PCS is slowly increasing but I'd argue she deserve more if is marked purely based on what was put out on ice today - regardless of her obvious small physical size. She is the only one responded to the music with conviction, thoughts and clarity. On top of that, she went out there and owned her program and remind people it is a still a skating competition that require competitive technical content. She totally earned her place while other 2 just sat back and hope they won't make anymore whoopsidaisies. They should thank their lucky stars the Russian Babies are not competing at worlds this year.

-------------

Less is more only if there's more to begin with. Otherwise less is just less!

Last edited:

npavel

On the Ice
As many point out Elizaveta is still junior and she has the right to be so at 14. But it should show more in the pcs. She is great, I love her, but the difference between her and Carolina, Alissa and Viktoria is great. This is a ladies competition after all