2 Sara HURTADO / Adria DIAZ ESP
3 Kristina GORSHKOVA / Vitali BUTIKOV RUS
4 Xintong HUANG / Xun ZHENG CHN

Warm-Up Group 2
5 Elena ILINYKH / Nikita KATSALAPOV RUS
6 Anna CAPPELLINI / Luca LANOTTE ITA
7 Tessa VIRTUE / Scott MOIR CAN
8 Nathalie PECHALAT / Fabian BOURZAT FRA

Hmm. First time seeing Chock/Bates. Their skating styles go together but looks wise, I'm not so sure. He's a boy-next-door type, she looks like too much woman for him. Then the height difference. I miss Emily (with him). But no doubt, this team is good too.

Hurtado/Diaz... her costume is a big mistake. He seems to be a far more elegant skater than she is - or is that just me?

Last edited:
Oh my gosh. Is it possible for the costumes to get even worse? What the h*** did they put on his arm? A green and yellow duster? :eek: And is she going to change her skirt for every season? Autumn leaves, spring flowers, summer breezes, winter snowflakes. I can hardly wait. NOT.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Hurtado/Diaz... her costume is a big mistake. He seems to be a far more elegant skater than she is - or is that just me?
They seemed to be enjoying themselves, though - and they deserved to! Four years ago there was no Spanish dance program, they had to convince their fed that it was worth doing. It's been quite a learning curve for them and it's wonderful seeing them get noticed. I hope being around better teams and seeing how they work will help their development.

I think he's probably better than her, yes, but she's a star. In that they kind of remind me of P/B; not that they're similar in most ways, but that's kind of the dynamic with Nathalie and Fabian.

They're good, actually, but they look totally European from a distance. I don't know if it's their makeup or his Liberace shirt and her cutouts.

The audience is tepid. Come on, folks - you're here, you might as well give them some love!

(Maybe it's a fashion revolt?)

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Madison Chock & Evan Bates USA
SD Samba: Chick Chick Boom Rhumba: Doom Diggy Diggy
52.01; season's best
Much more smooth and together than in their previous outing. A fair amount of steaminess from Ms. Chock. At least one of the rhumba sequences will not get full credit. Loved their lift--it really went with the theme. And I love the way Madison undulates up out of it.

Sara Hurtado & Adria Diaz ESP
SD Mais que nada and Magdalenha by Sergio Mendes

2nd set of three twizzles very labored, but nice rhythm in the other two
Sara fell setting up for the final pose
The lift was that crazy one where he's in a cantilever spread eagle lifting her in a low to the ice position and then they both lean backwards (always love it)
45.71, with one deduction

Kristina Gorshkova & Vitali Butikov RUS
SD Rhumba; Cha Cha
The music was terrible.
The costumes were put together by magpies, storing up shiny bits of this and that
The team was not skating to the music, but this could be because the track being played only loosely resembled music.
It was seldom that any unison was shown by this team.
The best that can be said is that they did the rhumba pattern more or less competently, if not quite in unison or to the music.

Xintong Huang & Xun Zheng CHN
SD Mambo; Rhumba; Samba
Very, very bright yellow/chartreuse costumes with 2 huge pink applique flower up near the neck.
rhumba not too bad
It looked like she almost slipped away from him in the lift
circular step labored
hydrablade for the fun of it
Steps labored with hit or miss edges

50.71 into second place with a season's best

auser

Record Breaker
They seemed to be enjoying themselves, though - and they deserved to! Four years ago there was no Spanish dance program, they had to convince their fed that it was worth doing. It's been quite a learning curve for them and it's wonderful seeing them get noticed. I hope being around better teams and seeing how they work will help their development.

I think he's probably better than her, yes, but she's a star. In that they kind of remind me of P/B; not that they're similar in most ways, but that's kind of the dynamic with Nathalie and Fabian.

Thank you for the info on these dancers. My first impression was "At last some genuine Latin spirit" then saw they were from esp

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov RUS
SD HipHip ChinChin by Club des Belugas; Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendez with the Black Eyed Peas; Mujer Latina by Kike Satander Music
Elena in a different dress than in practice-teal blue with cut outs, and the long tail frayed look skirt in the back. Dress has no back on the top.
circular step has good speed & quite close together
nice
She poses laid out on his skate. He pulls her up they pose, start mas que nada (tortured by BEP)
rhumba one-at least one step looked off
twizzles; he's off center and screws up one set
rhumba 2
mujer latina
lift the part where he lifts his leg up still does not look smooth.
Much better than last 4 teams.
I do not like the Black Eyed Peas version of Mas Que Nada. Perhaps the black eyed peas would go better with rice, in Hoppin' John than in this rhumba

I have to leave for an appt in a few minutes

Oh, I/K were yummy. She's too hot to handle too (like Chock) but he's a bit more in her sexiness league. Hope the other costume designers were looking. Hers looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen, but I assume that's intentional. :p

colleen o'neill

Medalist
:laugh:doris..I can just see those busy little magpies putting G/B's costumes together ..like in the Disney movies... H/Z's costumes are so Chinese..they're like those fold out paper garlands that you find in the emporiums in Chinatown...