Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Short Dance

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Madison Chock & Evan Bates USA
    SD Samba: Chick Chick Boom Rhumba: Doom Diggy Diggy
    52.01; season's best
    Much more smooth and together than in their previous outing. A fair amount of steaminess from Ms. Chock. At least one of the rhumba sequences will not get full credit. Loved their lift--it really went with the theme. And I love the way Madison undulates up out of it.

Sara Hurtado & Adria Diaz ESP
    SD Mais que nada and Magdalenha by Sergio Mendes

2nd set of three twizzles very labored, but nice rhythm in the other two
    Sara fell setting up for the final pose
    The lift was that crazy one where he's in a cantilever spread eagle lifting her in a low to the ice position and then they both lean backwards (always love it)
    45.71, with one deduction

Kristina Gorshkova & Vitali Butikov RUS
    SD Rhumba; Cha Cha
    The music was terrible.
    The costumes were put together by magpies, storing up shiny bits of this and that
    The team was not skating to the music, but this could be because the track being played only loosely resembled music.
    It was seldom that any unison was shown by this team.
    The best that can be said is that they did the rhumba pattern more or less competently, if not quite in unison or to the music.

Xintong Huang & Xun Zheng CHN
    SD Mambo; Rhumba; Samba
    Very, very bright yellow/chartreuse costumes with 2 huge pink applique flower up near the neck.
    rhumba not too bad
    It looked like she almost slipped away from him in the lift
    circular step labored
    hydrablade for the fun of it
    Steps labored with hit or miss edges

50.71 into second place with a season's best

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    They seemed to be enjoying themselves, though - and they deserved to! Four years ago there was no Spanish dance program, they had to convince their fed that it was worth doing. It's been quite a learning curve for them and it's wonderful seeing them get noticed. I hope being around better teams and seeing how they work will help their development.

I think he's probably better than her, yes, but she's a star. In that they kind of remind me of P/B; not that they're similar in most ways, but that's kind of the dynamic with Nathalie and Fabian.
    Thank you for the info on these dancers. My first impression was "At last some genuine Latin spirit" then saw they were from esp

Elena Ilinykh & Nikita Katsalapov RUS
    SD HipHip ChinChin by Club des Belugas; Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendez with the Black Eyed Peas; Mujer Latina by Kike Satander Music
    Elena in a different dress than in practice-teal blue with cut outs, and the long tail frayed look skirt in the back. Dress has no back on the top.
    circular step has good speed & quite close together
    nice
    She poses laid out on his skate. He pulls her up they pose, start mas que nada (tortured by BEP)
    rhumba one-at least one step looked off
    twizzles; he's off center and screws up one set
    rhumba 2
    mujer latina
    lift the part where he lifts his leg up still does not look smooth.
    Much better than last 4 teams.
    I do not like the Black Eyed Peas version of Mas Que Nada. Perhaps the black eyed peas would go better with rice, in Hoppin' John than in this rhumba

I have to leave for an appt in a few minutes

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Oh, I/K were yummy. She's too hot to handle too (like Chock) but he's a bit more in her sexiness league. Hope the other costume designers were looking. Hers looks like a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen, but I assume that's intentional.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    doris..I can just see those busy little magpies putting G/B's costumes together ..like in the Disney movies... H/Z's costumes are so Chinese..they're like those fold out paper garlands that you find in the emporiums in Chinatown...

C/L - now there's a well matched team. That was pure champagne... until she forgot to stop skating at the end (or did she slip a little?). Plus, they have the best music... and good costumes (is anyone listening)?

Oh boy, second look at V/M!

Anna Capellini & Luca Lanotte ITA
    SD Rhumba: Volveras by Gloria Estefan
    Samba: El ChupacapraFD
    All grown up now, Anna!
    start w/rhumba
    looks pretty good
    twizzles, nice arms with them 3 sets. 2nd set could use more ice coverage.
    circular step
    this feels more or less like a rhumba
    skid into the samba part which has the right marchy hip rollingy feel
    into the step
    lift rotational lift
    more marching to the carnival.
    She forgot to stop marching at end when music stopped.
    I liked it better than I&K
    Anna does like her red and silver costumes

64.62!!

V/M totally polished but a little oomph is missing, partly because his costume is icky (too tight, and looks like practice clothes) and makes him seem less of an equal. A tiny loss of balance at the end? I hope Doris has time to annotate this one!

Que pasa? IN froze.

Dang, they chacked almost all of P/B. He has poetic feet in the closeups!

I see that BackStageBarbie was having the same problem with the costumes that I was.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 11-18-2011 at 03:08 PM.

No, I like Scott's costume , perfectly like a latin ballroom guy. I thought their lift looked off and they were very smooth to save it.. or was it the camera angle ?

ETA; Good to see Fabian looking better. I really like this SP for them . It's great fun.
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 11-18-2011 at 03:14 PM.

P and B have my favorite short dance of the season. I love it; it's so much fun. His pants are even growing on me--thought they were pretty atrocious when I first saw them., but hey, they go with the dance.

I just finished watching some of the programs on youtube. Call the fashion police on Gorshkova and Butikov and Hurtado and Diaz! I didn't watch the Chinese team, but I hear their costumes were atrocious too.

Virtue/Moir and Pechalat/Bourzat were awesome. Huge improvement from P/B, but it's expected as he was ill at their last event. I think I/K performed their SD better than at their last comp, but C/L didn't perform it quite as well. I still enjoyed them though. I couldn't bring myself to watch Chock/Bates because I'm still sad about the Samuelson/Bates split, and the one time I did watch C/B's short dance I honestly wasn't THAT impressed.

I'm still grieving over that split , too ..but C/B's SD is much improved all the same. Can't say they're not working hard. but have they earned my forgiveness ? That's another question..

Me three. I heart Emily and Evan and Madison don't look right together to me, nor Emily and Todd. The Skating Church should forbid divorce.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Virtue/Moir's SD makes me sad. We have to watch this all season long but we only got to see their fair superior FD once.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    No, I like Scott's costume , perfectly like a latin ballroom guy. I thought their lift looked off and they were very smooth to save it.. or was it the camera angle ?
    No, it was definitely off. I actually thought this skate wasn't as polished as we've seen, but they skated it with attack - Scott definitely brought some more heat to the ice now. Like the change to the opening, upped the transitions (that they actually outpaced their PCS from SC here is something noteworthy). I want to see her in something more sizzling, though That she's worn the same dress in three straight competitions... I don't think she's ever done that before, to be honest.

And I maintain that the second rhumba sequence, as set and skated, is magnificent.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast