Effects of Growth Spurt on Promising Young Stars | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Effects of Growth Spurt on Promising Young Stars

Sylvia

Record Breaker
She could opt for senior competition if she chose too, right?
Gracie Gold must compete Junior at 2012 US Nationals and I assume her goal is to be selected for the 2012 Junior World team.

Gracie's twin sister, Carly, has shown improvement in her skating this season, IMO, and I thought it was cool that Carly, who placed 4th at UGL Regionals, was able to compete at Sectionals in part because Gracie received a bye through Regionals (due to her JGP assignment).

LiamForeman, Yasmin Siraj's programs are choreographed by Jamie Isley.

Last edited:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Too bad about Gracie not competing as a Senior, she looks like she would be very competitive for a medal. But it looks like she has done everything right, and it is refreshing to see someone start to peak at 16 rather than as a 13 year old. The parents should also be applauded for not pushing the coaches to have her learn every triple by age 12 regardless of how bad her technique is. If her goal is to be competitive in Sochi it seems her coach has her on the right track.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Too bad about Gracie not competing as a Senior, she looks like she would be very competitive for a medal. But it looks like she has done everything right, and it is refreshing to see someone start to peak at 16 rather than as a 13 year old. The parents should also be applauded for not pushing the coaches to have her learn every triple by age 12 regardless of how bad her technique is. If her goal is to be competitive in Sochi it seems her coach has her on the right track.

I believe Gracie had every triple two or three years ago. Yes, you do need to learn every triple by age of 12-13 in order to be competitive. It's just the growth spurt that held her back temporarily last year.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She didn't even have a consistent double Axel at the beginning of the summer before she turned 14, but the 2A came a couple weeks after starting to work with her current coach and the the 3S and 3T followed soon after (within a couple weeks). Then the 3Lo and 3Lz and last the 3F all within the space of a couple months (between August and Mids when she skated Novice).

Sylvia

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold placed 4th (pewter medal) at 2010 Novice Nationals when she was 14. The triples she included in her Novice programs at Nationals were 3Lz (2 in FS), 3F and 3T.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see Gracie skate as a Senior at Nationals this year. She sure could show some of the older girls like Alissa, Mirai and Ashley how to jump. When you think about it American girls don't tend to be powerful with huge jumps but Gracie seems to be a throwback to Tonya Harding. Seems like most of the top US girls are headcases with shaky jumps.

mskater93

Record Breaker
She can't. She didn't take her Senior FS test before the cut off for qualifying competitions, so just give that thought up. What she CAN do is try and put up a score that's bigger than the Senior ladies.

sgower

Rinkside
One skater that definitely needs to go on this list is Cynthia Phaneuf. She won Skate Canada when she was 14 I think, prior to her growth spurt and has been struggling ever since. I am hoping that her change to Orser will give her the mental toughness to improve her competitiveness. When she is on, her jumps are so amazing!

skateflower

Match Penalty
Stonikova is not so hot these days. She has been overscored by judges quite a bit.
i remember becha told us just a few weeks ago that Stonikova coiuld easily win worlds this year if she was allowed to go. becha also tried to convince us Stonikova could easily manage growth spurt because she has good technique. Liz will have no problem with growth spurt because her parents are short. We shall see. :laugh::laugh: