Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's Free Skate, Sat. 11/19 at 7:30 am EST

Custom Title
    Can someone enlighten me on this? Where did Chan's deduction come from? I didn't see him "fall". I saw him put both his hands down twice, one on the footwork and the other on the jump. Which one was counted as a "fall"?
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 11-19-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Custom Title
    Parick looked pale, tired, and even gaunt when not smiling.

He messed up many jumps, especially the combos, and then 2A was repeated. Good things he landed those quads so well. The program was beautiful and spins well done.

Something is definitely not right in Paris. Disppointing event for this late in the series.

eta. I think he really kept fighting and not let the program collapse like Oda did. It's important to keep the PCS when the jumps are not all there.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 11-19-2011 at 09:38 AM.

Custom Title
    Certainly looks like an unusual number of skaters are not themselves. One I can see, but Chan and Oda off, Reynolds withdrawing from stomach troubles...Napoleon's Revenge? Bad escargot last night? Maybe Nan Song stuck with the Chinese food and escaped the malady.

I hope whatever is ailing the Men, doesn't carry over to the other skaters in the other disciplines.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Certainly looks like an unusual number of skaters are not themselves. One I can see, but Chan and Oda off, Reynolds withdrawing from stomach troubles...Napoleon's Revenge? Bad escargot last night? Maybe Nan Song stuck with the Chinese food and escaped the malady.

I hope whatever is ailing the Men, doesn't carry over to the other skaters in the other disciplines.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    Maybe Nan Song stuck with the Chinese food and escaped the malady.
    That's certainly a possibility.

Chan actually didn't skate as bad as I first imagined. There were many great moments.

Quote Originally Posted by alexeifan View Post
    Amazing how Chan does 2 quads, then falls on nothing, guess cuz he's always so deep on his edges. Beautiful program anyway.
    His body weight went too far back to be able to control it, and therefore he fell. It goes to show how small the margins are when you are constantly trying to get out of the body core. Makes everything way more difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    A true champion does not fall, as Sonja Henie used to say "a fall is the kiss of death", as it should be...
    In the days of Sonja Henie, risk taking was rare, and jumps weren't that important.

Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    Can someone enlighten me on this? Where did Chan's deduction come from? I didn't see him "fall". I saw him put both his hands down twice, one on the footwork and the other on the jump. Which one was counted as a "fall"?
    The deduction came from the fall in the first step sequence. When the body weight is transferred from the blades to the hands, it counts as a fall.

Custom Title
    It seems most of Patrick's problems came from physical weakness - the jumps and even the FW fall was likely also due to lack of strength for his normal control. He wasn't able to make it look easy this time. His energy was spent after the quads. As I observed last night, he was even tired and a little out of breath after the SP, something I had never seen from him. (Or was it boredom and desperation? }

Hope everybody recovers and does his best at the GPF.

Custom Title
    just watched guys long.

Oda, Does anybody knows what happened? Japanese report said that he was great in practice. I do not know why?

Chan: He made a lot of progress in artistry. This is much better than the short, which looks like he pastes on fake smile and fake act all the time.
    but so many mistakes. He still wins, which I sadly expected after watching his blah long today. Maybe we are getting used to this. Falls win, falls win
    falls win. I do not tell you what to say anymore. Somebody should do something about the jugging system, or many would stop watching the sports.

Nan son: I love him. His skating is so rough, but it is like looking at the diamond before the polish. He will scintillate like crazy in the future. Can not wait.

So any infectious disease going around there in Paris?

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I noticed this time that Patrick's flying sit was very small. Is that usual for him or another sign of fatigue/illness/whatever?

Tripping on the Podium
    Jet lag......it's like skating at 5 to 6 am for those based out of north America. The muscles don't fire as quickly at that time of day.

Custom Title
    This is getting me confused. One poster said Patrick's flying sit looked "very small". Another said he didn't "make it [the program] look easy this time. His energy was spent after the quads." Weren't the judges supposed to reflect the relative lack of ease and power in his today's performance in his PCSs? Or did the judges think he looked sick rather than bored and that interpretation would make a less impact on the scores?

Custom Title
    Most of these skators are seasoned travellers to competitions to be affected by a relatively small time difference. Nan Song is the least experienced and came from the furthest but he was energetic. His team has Chinese food prepared for their skaters when competing abroad. So it's a plausible theory he wasn't affected by whatever the others might have consumed.

Kevin was too sick to compete but Patrick had to in order to secure his GPF entry. At least it's mission accomplished for him. Oda, he has bombed before for mental reasons so it's hard to speculate, especially if he was reported to have practiced well.

Fortunately, other disciplines seem to be quite well so far.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    it's a plausible theory he wasn't affected by whatever the others might have consumed.
    Fortunately, other disciplines seem to be quite well so far.
    It is possible. But I'm just curious: Does the event organizer give out food based on disciplines? Men eat together as a group, women another. Pair and dancers have double cheeseburgers?

I have another theory. It is not about disciplines but about individuals. Chan might have gone out with his teammate Kevin to a restaurant or taken the same flight and thus eaten the same food.
    Last edited by skatinginbc; 11-19-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Banned
    What anthem instead of the Canadian they were playing in the medal ceremony? Chinese?

Seems like they forgot a Canadain flag for a bronze in pairs too.

French are lovely.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    It is possible. But I'm just curious: Does the event organizer give out food based on disciplines? Men eat together as a group, women another. Pair and dancers have double cheeseburgers?

I have another theory. It is not about disciplines but about individuals. Chan might have gone out with his teammate Kevin to a restaurant or taken the same flight and thus eaten the same food.
    Your theory is certainly possible. It's all guessing and speculations on our part. Most Men underperformed quite badly and Kevin and Patrick were obviously not in their normal state of health. I imagine skaters are likely to eat with their teammates but may also eat with others of the same discipline because of the compettion schedule. The Men may have simply done poorly for various reasons.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast