Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP, 11/19/11

Tripping on the Podium
    2 wins in the GP when I was a kid of 14 before puberty. That makes you a well trained monkey.

Custom Title
    I was excited when these girls were in juniors but now I'll wait & hold off on the excitement like I did for Mao and Yu na. I was so glad that they continued to be successful. I think of Baiul and others. Regardless of the vices, Baiul got significantly bigger because she became a woman so with that I'll just sit back and enjoy for now.

I think if they let you compete in the Grand Prix they should let you compete in all the senior competitions or not let them on that level at all. It should be all or nothing.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I think if they let you compete in the Grand Prix they should let you compete in all the senior competitions or not let them on that level at all. It should be all or nothing.
    I understand why one would say that, but I almost like it this way - it allows you to get some experience against the top talent but not at the pressure filled big events. Granted, Elizaveta looks like she can handle the pressure, but in general, I like this way. Truthfully, my head says if it's all or nothing, I'm gonna reserve the Senior GP for those old enough for Worlds anyway.

Custom Title
    I agree with the experience but I like it more the way Yu na did it than the way Mao did.

Does Adelina get to go to worlds if she makes it nationally? She's 15 right?

Custom Title
    No. She's a day too young.

Here is my take on the age thing. Can a 14-year-old child out skate 24-year-old women?

I don't know. Let's have a skating contest and find out.

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    That wouldn't work currently b/c she is doing 2 Lutzs and 2 Loops. The only way she could do a 2A-3T if she brings back the 3S. I think the 3L-2T was supposed to be a three jump combo.
    No, she can do the 2Axel-3Toe without the 3Sal.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I like Czisny's new jump layout. Assuming the third element is supposed to be 2A+3T, this gives her a solid six triple layout that is within her reach.
    It's definitely better for her than the old layout, although I would have her move the planned 3Lo-2T-2Lo combination to earlier in the program, not only to make it more consistent but also so that she isn't doing two 3Loop jumping passes back-to-back.

Murakami is playing the game well, too. By doing 3Lo+2A seq and 3F+2A seq she can work in seven triples without a triple-triple. Plus, if she misses one of her sequences she has the other to back it up, making sure she gets in the 2A and does't lose a pass.
    It's a good strategy in and of itself, but I don't think it is correct for Murakami. Her weakest jump is the 3Loop and she is good at putting 3Toe on the end of jumps, so she's really just throwing points away.

This is the idea Ashley Wagner should be following, however. She has a strong 3Loop, isn't good at doing 3Toe in combination, and has shown herself to be very good at doing 2Loops in combination and 2Axels on the end of other jumps in the past. The amount of points a 2Loop is worth over a 2Toe is very, very significant in the scale of values right now. Ashley also has good stamina and could backload in the style of Miki Ando. I've been suggesting this to her for some time now:

3Flip-2Loop-2Loop
    3Sal
    -----
    3Loop
    3Toe-2Axel
    3Flip
    3Loop-2Axel
    3Lutz

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    No way...one day.

Custom Title
    The lenient edge/UR/DG calls are a disgrace. How do you explain this new trend to all the skaters who constantly got attacked for the calls post 2005/6 (Shizuka for her DG flips in 2005/6, Mao and Miki for DG loops, Rachael, Mirari)???

"Oops, sorry I got you working on those problems. Oh, some of you had to completely omit those jumps? Well we've decided we don't care anymore!"

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I dont understand technically why the circle with Alisa's arms when she sets up for jumps...
    I believe this is some kind of classical ballet position. Dick Button popularized (invented?) this arm position for jumps back in the 40s and 50s. As a commentator he used to criticize skaters' arm positions, saying "your arms are supposed top look like you are hugging a beach ball."

Custom Title
    Here is my take on the age thing. Can a 14-year-old child out skate 24-year-old women?

I don't know. Let's have a skating contest and find out.
    Would you replace the 14-year old with a 12-year old? How about a 10-year old?

I believe this is some kind of classical ballet position. Dick Button popularized (invented?) this arm position for jumps back in the 40s and 50s. As a commentator he used to criticize skaters' arm positions, saying "your arms are supposed top look like you are hugging a beach ball."

I think that's exactly why... she's classically trained, right?

skating philosopher
    I think it's OK to do two triple Lutzes, two triple loops, and two double Axels(?) The triple toe is OK because she doesn't have another one in her program, right?
    Oh yeah. I wasn't thinking. For some reason, I probably was thinking of last year's program which had a 3T at the end of the program. Thanks for the clarification. BofP too.

Quote Originally Posted by havefun View Post
    2 wins in the GP when I was a kid of 14 before puberty. That makes you a well trained monkey.
    Well, the little monkey just scampered off with $18,000 and a chunk of gold.

Not a bad day at the mall for the organ grinder.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    If Adelina's mother had known that Adelina would take up figure skating, perhaps she would have used forceps to bring her into the world a couple of days earlier...

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast