Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP, 11/19/11

Quote Originally Posted by havefun View Post
    Sixteen is very different from fourteen. During those years a skaters body can completely change over one season. Mirai was also never hailed as the next big thing.

Hm..have you lived under a figure skating rock? Mirai was U.S. champion at age 14. And everyone thought she was going to lead the U.S. Women into the next Olympic cycle.

But I guess Mirai just further supports your argument. Bleh.

Tripping on the Podium
    http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=k_Yy7V-q5jc
    Asada at same age as Eliza. Just one example of how growth affects the skater. And IMO far superior then to Eliza now

PS. Winning nationals an international star does not make....and mirai has had her struggles through growth...so..case in point... 14 years old is 14 years old.
    Last edited by havefun; 11-19-2011 at 07:29 PM.

Lets wait until next year when Liza has grown and see if she can still give those amazing performances.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by ordinary person View Post
    Lets wait until next year when Liza has grown and see if she can still give those amazing performances.
    She may or she may not, but what has either case got to do with her ability today? If she can't do something in the future, does it negate what she does today? She may become even more amazing or she may struggle, should her medals be recinded for future failure or retroactively awarded only if she is still able to do them in a future year? Should today's success not count unless repricated in the future? If it is absurd to have such rules, or attitude, for an older skater, it's equally absurd to have them for a young one.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Mao had her jump technique issues from the beginning but got in trouble only when thet started calling Urs and e. It is not her growth that hit.
    GPF will be awesome this year, with Caro, Alissa , Akiko and probably Mao and Adelina, nobody hypes Liza to win with those skaters alltogether. So far her press conferences are nice, she wanted to make the gpf this season, so all well.

^or just comment on this thread for what it is, the 2011 TEB competition. They say that by 12/2012 earth will be destroyed. GPF 2012 wont be held probably.

Sixteen is very different from fourteen. During those years a skaters body can completely change over one season. Mirai was also never hailed as the next big thing.

Oh, and you are wrong about that. Every single person's body changes at different times. Actually, your body can change when you go 12-13 or 13-14 as much as 16-17. At the same time, it is possible for a person's body type to never dramatically change.

Everyone is playing the "if" game. "Well, you wait and see if she grows a whole foot and gets 90 pounds fatter and THEN she won't be able to jump like a 'bat out of hell'." Seriously? Don't get bitter when a person deservingly wins a competition.

Plus the "well-trained monkey" thing... There are many people much older than Liza who look a lot like trained monkeys. That does not necessarily have to do with age. A skater may be 20 or older and look completely unnatural in any of their movements.

Tripping on the Podium
    Alll correct. The fact is and always will be that she is well trained 14 year old prebuscent skater. Nothing more. Nothing less. In this sport I believe that means very little. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    ^or just comment on this thread for what it is, the 2011 TEB competition. They say that by 12/2012 earth will be destroyed. GPF 2012 wont be held probably.
    end of the world won't happen till December of '12, right? so maybe skating fans will all get along on that day and that's what will cause the end of the world.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Huh. I would think being well trained would mean a lot in figure skating. Having good technique could well help Eliza survive puberty - at least she'll be in a better shape to confront it than, say Caroline Zhang. I personally thought she was wonderfully expressive and musical for someone so young. Also, she had a determined and focused look on her face that was reminiscent of Michelle Kwan. I really enjoyed her performance and I sure hope she continues to do well. It's fun to have a new lady to get excited about these days.

I also enjoyed Carolina today. I thought she put a lot more into her performance this time than Alissa.... Congrats to the top three!

In this sport I believe that means very little.
    I disagree. It may mean very little to you, but it means a lot to the skater.

Winning a gold medal in the Grand Prix is cool whatever your age. You seem to be saying that any little 14-year-old monkey can do it. As far as i know, no other 14-year-old monkey ever has. Not Asada, not Kim, not Lipinski, not Kwan.

The future? Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Well, the little monkey just scampered off with $18,000 and a chunk of gold.

Not a bad day at the mall for the organ grinder.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I believe this is some kind of classical ballet position. Dick Button popularized (invented?) this arm position for jumps back in the 40s and 50s. As a commentator he used to criticize skaters' arm positions, saying "your arms are supposed top look like you are hugging a beach ball."
    I didnt know this was approved by Mr Button, but thank you for replying. Still I think the long set up with her hands as holding a ball always disrupt the flow of the program, and have not much to do with the music she skates to and basically ruin also the choreo. I like to see the jumps out of nowhere, incorporated into the program.Mao who I find the most graceful and balletic doesnt do this btw.
    I like Alissa exhibitions a lot actually, but her competitive programs dont work for me. Still with all the season and how it turned out I dont think I would want another lady in GPF instead of her.
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-19-2011 at 09:54 PM.

http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=k_Yy7V-q5jc
    Asada at same age as Eliza. Just one example of how growth affects the skater. And IMO far superior then to Eliza now

PS. Winning nationals an international star does not make....and mirai has had her struggles through growth...so..case in point... 14 years old is 14 years old.
    I wouldn't say Mao's jumps were superior to Elizaveta's. Mao had a toe axel, no 3salchow, a severe 3 flutz, and her 3flip technique was not great. Presentation wise, skating skills wise yes. But jumps no and its jumps that are most likely to go in puberty.

I'm going to say this as well I find you calling Elizaveta a trained monkey to be highly offensive. She's a human being with feelings emotions, not an animal. Girls her age DO feel pressure look how Elizaveta handled her JGP debut, and Adelina handled her Senior debut. They understand pain, and they especially have feelings. Try telling a freshman in high school, which is Tukt's age that they are trained monkeys, and see how they react. For you especially to disclose a rumor and not thinking about the consquences of said rumor is even more upsetting.

I will say this too all of these skaters most of them started out as junior prodigies.

Custom Title
    Did people bother that Mirai went to Olympics at 16? Cause she had not grown yet either.
    I have to admit that I thought Mirai was pretty much finish growing at that point. Well I thought she might grow a lil more but not as much as she has. She paints a different picture on the ice for me now. It's not the same.

Custom Title
    so, part of me is conflicted about this because I don't really understand why there are different age rules for GP, Worlds, and Olympics...and wish there weren't. The other part of me says: Go Liz!!! wow. Go for it, do it, keep wowing me!!! loved it!

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast