Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP, 11/19/11

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    The rule is not just to protect the prodigies, but all of the children whose parents THINK they're prodigies, and there are a lot of those parents. And if you think it doesn't happen just remember AP McDonough, who unfortunately was a child prodigy and who had a mother who was, shall we say, a little over-eager. It's not lost on me that the moment she was legally old enough to leave home, AP quit competitive skating and moved across the country away from her mother.
    Do you think that Ann Patrice's life would have been different if the ISU had put the age qualification for senior championships up or down a year or two?

The rule is not just to protect the prodigies, but all of the children whose parents THINK they're prodigies, and there are a lot of those parents. And if you think it doesn't happen just remember AP McDonough, who unfortunately was a child prodigy and who had a mother who was, shall we say, a little over-eager. It's not lost on me that the moment she was legally old enough to leave home, AP quit competitive skating and moved across the country away from her mother. I've seen parents push kids who clearly didn't want to be on the ice, one of whom told me she was going to make her daughter a star, if not in skating then in something else, especially after first Michelle and then Tara became world champions. I asked one mother why she had her 8 year old taking her pre-novice test (which she passed), and she said she was doing everything possible to get her (8 year old) ready for the Olympics. I pointed out to her that her daughter wouldn't turn 15 until October before the games and therefore would not be age-eligible until four years later.
    I would LOVE to know what the mother said when you told her that her child would not be age-eligible.....

Custom Title
    I like Silete and Marrocco I wish that the French federation help them to improve their skating because they are both very talent skaters
    Last edited by coolboogie22; 11-21-2011 at 07:04 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Mao, Yuna, Michelle, Sasha ..also.
    And the first two you mentioned are OC , hype and all.

Jammers with all your being 14 Liza, I m sure you will have NO problem with 15 year old Adelina crashing the field and winning COR next week. (I wish I wish!!!)
    No i would not have a problem with Adelina winning the COR next week. She's much more mature in her skating and looks like a young lady not a little girl.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    I have to admit that I thought Mirai was pretty much finish growing at that point. Well I thought she might grow a lil more but not as much as she has. She paints a different picture on the ice for me now. It's not the same.
    Part of Mirai's problems are is that she isn't in good enough shape and doesn't train hard enough. A few to many trips to the refrigerator seems to a part of her problem.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I suppose you could say the same about child prodigies of any genre-in music or the arts. Sports and the law are two separate animals imo. Child abuse certainly happens in ALL spheres of life but it's still doesn't mean that ALL coaches of prodigies are likely to abuse them. Nor their paretns. I have often read of athletes who say they had a happy childhood-being allowed to do what they wanted to do which was to enjoy their sport. I don't agree with what you seem to imply-that a child isn't being allowed to be a child if their allowed to train in as an elite. Abuse can occur at ANY level-even recreationally.
    You're right, and it's up to individual organizations to state that they won't tolerate it.

a) I do believe a child can be a happy child and still train at an elite level.

b) I believe that a child can be unhappy and be forced to train at an elite level.

c) Given that figure skating is a sport that favours a certain biology (ie: small, breastless girls) and that we know of skaters who've struggled with anorexia and related issues, that it behooves an organization hoping to perpetuate the sport to do what it can to limit the damage to these youth. If Skater A were to tell you tomorrow that she hates skating, but does it because her parents want her to and because they think she'll be brilliant, would you enjoy her skating on the same level? A fluff piece during the Beijing Games talked about a young girl who was taken from her home to train for gymnastics, despite her pleas to live with her parents. Obviously, her voice went unheard. She might be an excellent gymnast, but I can't enjoy watching her with that knowledge

d) So with the potential for abuse and the fact that we're talking about people who don't legally have a voice, I think it's fair and right to set age limits. No, it won't prevent the situations from happening, but it does state that the ISU doesn't condone that sort of treatment, and that's not without meaning.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I'm getting very sick of hearing about Mirai's weight and fitness level. She's growing up, as she should, and looks stunning, IMO. So far her season is going in the right direction with a silver at COC, even if she didn't make the GPF. I'm very encouraged and I both hope and think she'll win Nationals this year.
    Last edited by Spun Silver; 11-21-2011 at 08:59 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    No i would not have a problem with Adelina winning the COR next week. She's much more mature in her skating and looks like a young lady not a little girl.

Really? Adelina is half year older, and indeed skates with maturity for her age and is taller and more filled than Liza BUT thanx god ISU DOES NOT base the eligibility rules depending on the girls appearance or fans taste. Either a 15 year old could enter senior competition or not, the argument is ridiculous..but oh well..

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I'm getting very sick of hearing about Mirai's weight and fitness level. She's growing up, as she should, and looks stunning, IMO. So far her season is going in the right direction with a silver at COC, even if she didn't make the GPF. I'm very encouraged and I both hope and think she'll win Nationals this year.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Part of Mirai's problems are is that she isn't in good enough shape and doesn't train hard enough. A few to many trips to the refrigerator seems to a part of her problem.
    How do you know this? Are you there at practice with her and at home while she's making these supposed trips to the refrigerator? ::shakes head::

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by dwiggin3 View Post
    I would LOVE to know what the mother said when you told her that her child would not be age-eligible.....
    Skate Canada would make an exception for HER child and she was serious.

Most of the children of "over-eager" parents find ways to self-sabotage. In spite of winning everything in sight in our Section, landing her first triples before her 9th birthday, and passing the pre-novice test at age 8, her daughter never made it to Canadians. Her best finish at Sectionals - 5th. The top 4 move on to the Challenge. Once she hit her teenage years, the daughter quite skating completely.

Skate Canada would make an exception for HER child and she was serious.

Most of the children of "over-eager" parents find ways to self-sabotage. In spite of winning everything in sight in our Section, landing her first triples before her 9th birthday, and passing the pre-novice test at age 8, her daughter never made it to Canadians. Her best finish at Sectionals - 5th. The top 4 move on to the Challenge. Once she hit her teenage years, the daughter quite skating completely.
    I've heard this story repeatedly around the US. Not surprising....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    I've heard this story repeatedly around the US. Not surprising....
    AP used to try to self-sabotage, cried and threw tantrums in public practice sessions. People would comment that she was an "ice-brat". I saw a desperately unhappy child who was screaming for someone to rescue her. Other people would say that she must want to skate or she wouldn't be as successful as she was, but I never once saw her look happy on the ice.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    This stories sound like science fiction to me, I thought these parents would live in Mars or a galaxy far far away..why they dont skate themselves for a change? Anyway...

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    This stories sound like science fiction to me, I thought these parents would live in Mars or a galaxy far far away..why they dont skate themselves for a change? Anyway...
    Yu Na said something like that about her mother in the interview that was just posted here.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast