Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Results 241 to 248 of 248

Thread: Ladies LP, 11/19/11

  1. #241
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,662
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    This stories sound like science fiction to me, I thought these parents would live in Mars or a galaxy far far away..why they dont skate themselves for a change? Anyway...
    just like parents who push their kids to excell in other aspects of life/sports/education... parents sometimes live vicariously through their children. It's completely wrong, IMO, no matter what way they push their child. Just because you were "inadequate" doesn't mean you need to force your child to give you an "extra life" in the game.

  2. #242
    At the rink. Again. mskater93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    AP used to try to self-sabotage, cried and threw tantrums in public practice sessions. People would comment that she was an "ice-brat". I saw a desperately unhappy child who was screaming for someone to rescue her. Other people would say that she must want to skate or she wouldn't be as successful as she was, but I never once saw her look happy on the ice.
    Yes, I had the misfortune to witness her on a Junior/Senior session in Co Springs once. And I witnessed her mother screaming from the 5th row of the stands at Kathy Casey. Not cool....

  3. #243
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    757
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady View Post
    The rule is not just to protect the prodigies, but all of the children whose parents THINK they're prodigies, and there are a lot of those parents. And if you think it doesn't happen just remember AP McDonough, who unfortunately was a child prodigy and who had a mother who was, shall we say, a little over-eager. It's not lost on me that the moment she was legally old enough to leave home, AP quit competitive skating and moved across the country away from her mother. I've seen parents push kids who clearly didn't want to be on the ice, one of whom told me she was going to make her daughter a star, if not in skating then in something else, especially after first Michelle and then Tara became world champions. I asked one mother why she had her 8 year old taking her pre-novice test (which she passed), and she said she was doing everything possible to get her (8 year old) ready for the Olympics. I pointed out to her that her daughter wouldn't turn 15 until October before the games and therefore would not be age-eligible until four years later.
    I know why the rule is there and again I disagree. I did not say I 'think it doesn't happen'. I know that it does but I believe these are exceptions.

    We will just have to agree to disagree.

  4. #244
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The Brink of Insanity
    Posts
    667
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I know why the rule is there and again I disagree. I did not say I 'think it doesn't happen'. I know that it does but I believe these are exceptions.
    Absolutely they are the exceptions, but there are enough exceptions to make it a concern. Whenever underage children are involved, there are people who are willing to exploit them if there's enough money/fame involved. And sadly, little is done when a child is being abused in this manner.

    There is also the image that the sport puts out to the world at large. They don't want another Tara or Oksana - kids who win it all before they're old enough to drive and then disappear because of injuries or burn out. It gives the sport a bad image. I remember people saying "That's not a WOMAN! She's a child" and many others who said they would never put their child in figure skating because they put too much pressure on children. Then there's the issue of hormones to supress puberty, eating disorders, and injuries which meant that by age 20, Tara couldn't run and had to walk her leg of the Olympic torch relay. All reflect very badly on the sport and make it appear that skating eats young girls and spits them out at the end with a poor education and no marketable skills, if they haven't become a champion (see Nicole Bobek).
    Last edited by Dragonlady; 11-23-2011 at 01:09 PM.

  5. #245
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    Girls are taking hormones not to grow up?

  6. #246
    Shoe Diva
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Detroit, MI - So Glad to be Home!
    Posts
    2,837
    The saddest part is that you see the Parents from Mars in all areas... My son plays soccer and those parents are crazy... screaming at coaches, their kids, the refs, other people's kids... its simply insane. I had a mom stop speaking to me because my son "stole their spot" at center mid. I had another mom yell at me because her kid fouled my kid. I doubt, however, she will make that mistake again... I have no patience. And the football, basketball, and baseball parents are even worse.

    I don't have problem with the age limitations because I understand the spirit in which they've been designed. Sometimes you have to protect folks from themselves but at the same time, abusive, crazy parents are going to behave that way regardless of the level their child is competing at... and sometimes when that child is technically old enough to fend for themselves, the adults around them give bad advice for selfish reasons... just look at Rachel Flatt at worlds.

  7. #247
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,321
    Oksana may have been only 16 but she skated as someone much older. She was mature as a skater at 15. Tara on the other hand did still look like a child even when she won the OGM. I don't think you can compare the two quite frankly.

  8. #248
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    1,257
    Quote Originally Posted by jaylee View Post
    Based off of what evidence are you assuming that Alissa's 2A/2T is actually supposed to be a 2A/3T? I suspect that Alissa would have difficulty getting any combination with a backend 3T ratified. She hasn't had any success with the 3Lz/3T that she planned this season.
    There's evidence, now. She said so during the interview on today's NBC broadcast. I agree that this a great jump layout for her, especially if she can put that combo together.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •