2 K/S
3 b/H

Dance
1 D/W
2 B/S
3 R/T

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Since the results of this event will determine the last few GPF entries for Ladies and especially for Men, will more people be posting facilitating dream podiums rather than believable predictions? E.g. I already know BOP's picks for Men's podium, ;) except I think he believes in his dream.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
MEN

1) Brezina 2) Fernandez 3) Abbott

Hanyu or Gachinski could also be on the podium instead of Abbott. I don't think any of the others will be, especially not Brandon Mroz after how he skated last week.

LADIES

1) Asada 2) Sotnikova 3) Leonova

I'm pretty sure this will be the podium, in some order, unless someone (Korpi? Lacoste? Imai?) bumps Leonova off.

PAIRS

1) Kavaguti/Smirnov 2) Savchenko/Szolkowy 3) Berton/Hotarek or Gerboldt/Enbert - hard to say since I haven't seen G/E skate yet this season

DANCE

1) Davis/White, of course 2) Bobrova/Soloviev 3) Weaver/Poje

I'd like to see the order of 2 and 3 reversed, but it probably won't be.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Men

1. Jeremy Abbot
2. Artur Gachinski
3. Yuzuru Hanyu
4. Michal Brezina
5. Javier Fernandez

Ladies

1. Mao Asada
2. Adelina Sotnikova
3. Alena Leonova
4. Kiira Korpi
5. Christina Gao

Pairs

1. Aliona Savchenko / Robin Szolkowy
2. Yuko Kavaguti / Alexander Smirnov
3. Ksenia Stolbova / Fedor Klimov
4. Stefania Berton / Ondrej Hotarek

Ice Dance

1. Meryl Davis/ Charlie White
2. Ekaterina Bobrova / Dmitri Soloviev
3. Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje
4. Ekaterina RIazanova / Ilia Tkachenko

Just curious, how come you think Stolbova and Klimov will finish that high?

jChamp

Rinkside
It's sad that the last GP is already here :(

Men
1. Abbott
2. Fernandez
3. Hanyu
4. Brezina
5. Gachinski
6. Mroz
7. Menshov
8. Rogozine
9. Voronov

I think the top five will be VERY interesting and possibly close. Still, I think that if Abbott remains standing he wins. He should dominate in the PCS department. Fernandez will probably out-TES him, but he really does have a lot to improve, and his LP is nowhere close to Abbott's imho. Hanyu and Brezina are a toss up too, but I think Hanyu will podium unless Brezina pulls off a quad or two. Brezina had lower PCS than Rippon last weekend, so I think that he'll need those jumps to come close to Abbott. I've yet to be impressed with Gachinski, but this is the Cup of Russia...he could medal, too. Mroz and Menshov were both dreadful at their last event, Rogozine is inconsistent, and Voronov has never really shined in a high caliber competition like this one.

Ladies
1. Asada
2. Sotnikova
3. Leonova
4. Gao
5. Korpi
6. Imai
7. Zawadski
8. Biryukova
9. Flatt
10. Lacoste

I'm sure Sotnikova will be eager for a win here, but I think this is Asada's to lose if she performs like she did in Japan. When "on", she is miles above everyone else in this field. I still think the silver will be easy for Sotnikova, though. Leonova will probably end up on the podium again, but I would much rather see Gao, Korpi, Imai....or pretty much anyone else :rolleye:. Zawadski and Flatt both had surprisingly poor performances at their first events and could both fall behind Biryukova. Lacoste also had a poor showing, but sadly that wasn't surprising to me in the least. Hopefully they can all improve here.

Pairs
1. Savchenko/Szolkowy
2. Kavaguti/Smirnov
3. Gerboldt/Enbert
4. Berton/Hotarek
5. Solbova/Klimov
6. Hausch/Wende
7. Cain/Reagan
8. Jones/Gaskell

I thought the Germans would easily beat K/S at their last matchup, but I was clearly wrong. I hope S/S ditch the 3A throw and focus on performing two almost-clean performances. IF they can do that, they SHOULD be fine. But crazier things have happened this season, to be sure. I think that the bronze will be a rematch between the Coupe de Nice podium toppers. B/H beat G/E by 0.02 points there, but I predict a swap here. I felt that B/H were gifted at their last event. The last four are a complete toss-up for me.

Dance
1. Davis/White
2. Bobrova/Soloviev
3. Weaver/Poje
4. Riazonova/Tkachenko
5. Tobias/Stagniunas
6. Pushkash/Guerrerio
7. Carron/Jones
8. Reed/Reed

D/W should win this by a huge margin (of course), but i'll be interested to see if B/S can close the gap in their home country. Still, D/W's FD has been one of the highlights of the season so far and I can't wait to see it again. I was honestly left cold by W/P and their (her) reaction in China and wouldn't be upset at all if they didn't medal here. Still, I don't think that any of the other teams can catch them.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
Dance
1. Davis/White
2. Bobrova/Soloviev
3. Weaver/Poje
4. Riazonova/Tkachenko
5. Tobias/Stagniunas
6. Pushkash/Guerrerio
7. Carron/Jones
8. Reed/Reed

D/W should win this by a huge margin (of course), but i'll be interested to see if B/S can close the gap in their home country. Still, D/W's FD has been one of the highlights of the season so far and I can't wait to see it again. I was honestly left cold by W/P and their (her) reaction in China and wouldn't be upset at all if they didn't medal here. Still, I don't think that any of the other teams can catch them.

I'm not sure I'd put D/S and C/J that low. They did medal at their previous GPs, granted those were in weak fields. Hmm. I might have D/S ahead of R/T and C/J ahead of P/G.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Voronov can do well. He medaled at a CoC in 2009. It was Oda, Lysacek, Voronov. He had a bad injury but seems better and I would just be suprised if he was last.

jChamp

Rinkside
Voronov can do well. He medaled at a CoC in 2009. It was Oda, Lysacek, Voronov. He had a bad injury but seems better and I would just be suprised if he was last.

Yes, he did do well there. That was also (I believe) his personal best score, and he hasn't scored that well since. He's just a really big question mark with his injury, though, and that's the main reason I had him last...the only others I see him passing is Rogozine or Menshov. We'll see, though :)

Last edited:

jChamp

Rinkside
I'm not sure I'd put D/S and C/J that low. They did medal at their previous GPs, granted those were in weak fields. Hmm. I might have D/S ahead of R/T and C/J ahead of P/G.

True, but their scores were all very close (and fairly low). I think they are all on an equal playing field. Personally, I would like to see T/S, R/T, C/J, and P/G in that order, too.

claphappy

On the Ice
Hanyu and Brezina are a toss up too, but I think Hanyu will podium unless Brezina pulls off a quad or two. Brezina had lower PCS than Rippon last weekend, so I think that he'll need those jumps to come close to Abbott.

Actually, Brezina's PCS were higher than Rippon's.
SP:
Brezina - 37.81
Rippon - 36.54
LP:
Brezina - 76.56
Rippon - 74.88

But, yeah Brezina will need the jumps to compete with Abbott and probably Hanyu too. He won't have to worry about getting into the GPF next week, so it's quite possible he'll be able to do the jumps since there's no pressure. But, then again, he could just as easily be careless and totally bite it. : /

jChamp

Rinkside
Actually, Brezina's PCS were higher than Rippon's.
SP:
Brezina - 37.81
Rippon - 36.54
LP:
Brezina - 76.56
Rippon - 74.88

But, yeah Brezina will need the jumps to compete with Abbott and probably Hanyu too. He won't have to worry about getting into the GPF next week, so it's quite possible he'll be able to do the jumps since there's no pressure. But, then again, he could just as easily be careless and totally bite it. : /

Geeze. Let's just ignore my entire post :). You're right, of course. I just remembered being surprised by how close they were but I didn't think to check. Thanks!

I do hope Brezina goes for it without the pressure to make the final. Also, I REALLY hope Fernandez makes it. That would make for an unexpected group in the final, for sure.