Just for fun, Omaha 2013 | Golden Skate

Just for fun, Omaha 2013

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Got my ticket for Omaha 2013 yesterday and took pics of the available seats as of today, Sunday, before they go on sale to the general public, tomarrow, on Monday the 21st.
I really like the ticketmaster meathod of picking seats, (hover over the seat you want and buy it or not) So I took some screenshots of the available seats (black dots) as of today and put them on my skating photobucket webpage.
It will be interesting to see how fast the tickets go.....I will keep checking back to their website and see....
http://s1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd385/CoyoteChris303/skating/

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Having economic independance has nothing to do with luck! Just go to school for 18 years, work for 30 years and save save save, marry someone who
wants dogs instead of kids and who is also a saver, and before you know it, you can retire at 55 and you can to figure skating events! :laugh: Or, you can just marry Brad Pitt.
(being a bank robber or politician works too)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Having economic independance has nothing to do with luck! Just go to school for 18 years, work for 30 years and save save save, marry someone who
wants dogs instead of kids and who is also a saver, and before you know it, you can retire at 55 and you can to figure skating events! :laugh: Or, you can just marry Brad Pitt.
(being a bank robber or politician works too)

I want to go NOW, though... I'm only 26! 55 is forever away...

And I do save and don't spend/live outside my means (ok so I do right now, technically, but I have a lot saved up for this part of my life)... I just want to be able to go to skating AND disney every year... Disney's won out the last few years. (I also want kids, so...) but I gotta get me a guy first...

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Toni! Sorry....Disney has to go! :laugh:. REf: technology....no kidding....you really dont need most of it....take your cell phone you are buying.... I have a Tracfone that costs me $80 a year. Cable TV? Forget it.
But seriously, good luck on finding that guy that wants to have a life with you including kids....thats so much more important than traveling around to a bunch of cold arenas shouting, "Miki! I LOVE YOU!!!!!"

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Hey Toni! Sorry....Disney has to go! :laugh:. REf: technology....no kidding....you really dont need most of it....take your cell phone you are buying.... I have a Tracfone that costs me $80 a year. Cable TV? Forget it.
But seriously, good luck on finding that guy that wants to have a life with you including kids....thats so much more important than traveling around to a bunch of cold arenas shouting, "Miki! I LOVE YOU!!!!!"

LOL!! Disney can't go, I LOVE that place... oh my word... going again in August actually lol (and the last few years it's been cheaper for me to do that for two weeks than the 10 days at nationals. figure that out!).

In Alaska everything is expensive... the "cheap" phones don't work... but wow... 80 a year would be awesome... and I'm living back at home for the time being, so tv/internet/food is free lol

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Good for you! Save those bucks....you are correct. 8 days at nationals costs a pretty penny....the trick if you dont have lots of bucks is to share a room with two or better yet, three friends as you wont be spending much time in there anyway, buy cheep nosebleed all event tickets as there are so few people during the week anyway that open seating is pretty much the rule of the day , and all practices are open seating, and that leaves the airfare. That takes a bit of work to get cheep tickets but it can be done with the help of a few websites. Got my tickets for four conts the other day...round trip from Spokane to Colorado Springs...$223. I have no idea how they can afford to fly an aircraft for what they must get but I am not asking questions....
Chris smuggling granola bars into nationals.

(Do YOU know where Walt got the money to build Disneyland?)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Good for you! Save those bucks....you are correct. 8 days at nationals costs a pretty penny....the trick if you dont have lots of bucks is to share a room with two or better yet, three friends as you wont be spending much time in there anyway, buy cheep nosebleed all event tickets as there are so few people during the week anyway that open seating is pretty much the rule of the day , and all practices are open seating, and that leaves the airfare. That takes a bit of work to get cheep tickets but it can be done with the help of a few websites. Got my tickets for four conts the other day...round trip from Spokane to Colorado Springs...$223. I have no idea how they can afford to fly an aircraft for what they must get but I am not asking questions....
Chris smuggling granola bars into nationals.

(Do YOU know where Walt got the money to build Disneyland?)

A lot of the $$ "officially" came from sponsorships like Kodak and other major companies. Disney went into hoc just to get teh building plans and land bought.

and yeah airfar out of Alaska is at least double what you're paying round trip. *shrugs* and when it's not a major vacation hub it's ever more (over 800 bucks for St. Louis Nationals in 2006 and St. Paul Nationals in 2008) only real reason I was able to go to the three that I did was I had a family member who gave me airfare for my bday (around the time of nationals) a lot of my friends who I used to bunk with no longer are able to go the whole time... so it's just not working out at the moment. *shrugs* I'll be back eventually.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Don't worry, dream big...you will be back....

The Wiki version of how Walt funded Disney land is as follows. "Difficulties in obtaining funding prompted Disney to investigate new methods of fundraising. He decided to use television, and created a show named Disneyland which was broadcast on the then-fledgling ABC television network. In return, the network agreed to help finance the new park. For the first five years of its operation, Disneyland was owned by Disneyland, Inc., which was jointly owned by Walt Disney Productions, Walt Disney, Western Publishing and ABC.[7] In addition, Disney rented out many of the shops on Main Street, U.S.A. to outside companies. By 1960 Walt Disney Productions completely bought out ABC's, Western Publishing and Walt Disney's shares."

The rest of the story is that Walt came up with an idea for a tv mini-series in 1954 called "Davey Crockett" that played on ABC. None of us who were around then will forget the craze....
All told, "Davy Crockett" merchandise accounted for $300 million in sales during the eight months of 1955 that the craze gripped the United States. In today's dollars, that amounts to slightly more than $2 billion.

And now you know the rest of the story.....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
sorry I knew about the TV story as well... they pretty much went hand in hand... huge Disney nerd here... you should see my collection that I am building lol

Rotfl!

The one live competition I went to, and the few performance shows, involved the nosebleed seats as well. I saw the complete shape of the spotlight and the part in everyone's hair. It was wonderful. Alas, Tonichelle, I never saw Browning, though I did once see Michelle and Sasha.

I had a late, much lamented friend whose discretionary income went largely to figure skating. She lived in the Northeast, and she'd go to the Thanksgiving performance of Stars on Ice at Lake Placid every year and report to me with the details. She did see Browning, and even Gordeyeva and Grinkov. She didn't fly to other venues except once, to California when the Worlds was there. She faithfully sat through every last compulsory dance.

You know, Chris, you're performing an important duty, not just indulging in a hobby. After all, live audiences in the U.S. are going down, so anyone who's willing to show up, freeze for several hours, and declare undying love for Miki Ando or anyone else from the nosebleed seats is contributing to the welfare of the figure skating movement.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I always by the midlevels seats just incase the venue gets full and I have to use them. We always ended up snagging seats that were reserved for ABC/NBC's family members so we rarely had to vacate... It was where a lot of officials also ended up sitting. I've sat with Naomi Lang and Peter Tchernyshev, the Baldwins, etc... so much fun... (it didn't hurt that we also knew and sat with a skater mom and grandparents :laugh: ) I miss going to nationals not so much for the skating (which was great) but because of the fun stuff we did in the seats during breaks and what not. Making friends with random fans or "smaller named" skaters... good memories...

I was planning on going to Nationals this year, but it didn't happen... Hopefully I'll hit up a west coast event soon.

(Olympia, I've never seen Kurt skate live, but I've met him...)

I remember your talking about your meeting. A book signing, was it? I was delightedly jealous.

I'm jealous of your rinkside experience, also. What fun!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This is such a cute, funny conversation. I thought of moving to Alaska cuz they say there are so many men! Forget Disney, Toni, take up whatever sport is number 1 there. It's gotta be hockey for the men, right? I'm older but I think I'll join you. Perhaps you could start a reality TV show, the Bachelorette goes Alaskan (Rogue) show, find an out of work hockey star and...nah...Kim got rich but everyone hates her. Oh, well, back to working hard, LOL.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
This is such a cute, funny conversation. I thought of moving to Alaska cuz they say there are so many men! Forget Disney, Toni, take up whatever sport is number 1 there. It's gotta be hockey for the men, right? I'm older but I think I'll join you. Perhaps you could start a reality TV show, the Bachelorette goes Alaskan (Rogue) show, find an out of work hockey star and...nah...Kim got rich but everyone hates her. Oh, well, back to working hard, LOL.

anymore there's about 50/50 men to women ratio lol :laugh: but that was true at one time.

Our official sport is mushing, and Hockey is starting to become popular... honestly though I think the biggest sport up here is either hunting or fishing. Both of which I already do (and really anything the guys do we women do better anyway so that's not as much of a rarity as elsewhere I suppose lol)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Hey Olympia, ref: You know, Chris, you're performing an important duty, not just indulging in a hobby. After all, live audiences in the U.S. are going down, so anyone who's willing to show up, freeze for several hours, and declare undying love for Miki Ando or anyone else from the nosebleed seats is contributing to the welfare of the figure skating movement.

No more nosebleeds for me! Now I am a seat vulture....ready to pounce when a good one comes along....

I sat in the nosebleeds once for a nats Gala....I hated it....now I sit in the front row so Miki can hear me! :biggrin: Got the front row at SkateAmerica, but had to settle for row 2 so I could get an isle seat at San Jose. Got the front row and isle at Omaha 2013.... now I have to wait till my inside contacts at the USFSA tell me Four conts seats are open season.

Its a tough life being a vulture, but I dont know how Toni deals with those long nights in the winter up there....she must be one tough lady! And hunting and fishing to fill the freezer.....
Chris who shoots only steel animals

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Its a tough life being a vulture, but I dont know how Toni deals with those long nights in the winter up there....she must be one tough lady! And hunting and fishing to fill the freezer.....
Chris who shoots only steel animals

I stare at a computer screen all day lol that's how I get my light (we're down to 8 hours and 45 minutes of daylight here)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I think you meant 6 hours and 45 minutes...here is Anchorage
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=18

A computer screen or, in my case, a light room does help a bunch, as does getting outside even in the gloom.
Also gets my body outside and working so I dont put on weight and hurt my bad back.
Ticket sales at Omaha are open for Business!!!! So far, no one has bought the seat next to me. I didnt attach my facebook name
to my seat as some did....perhaps it would be a good idea to make up a fake Facebook personna to attach to my seat....lets see....
doesnt use deoderant....Looks like Attilla the Hun, likes head hunting.....something like that....

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
hmmmmmmm I think that site counts when the sun breaks the horizon... where as I count the dawn to dusk lol