Kimmie Meissner's triple axels video | Golden Skate

Kimmie Meissner's triple axels video

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I miss her. What is disappointing is that she was really becoming a true artist after she won Worlds but then her jumps began to fail her. Nevertheless, no other American woman in history can say they have landed a triple axel, won Worlds, and won Nationals. She should be very proud of her accomplishments.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
And wasn't she a jr national champ? or was that jr world? Anyone recall? I loved Kimmie Meissner. Wow, what woman hood does to a body! Great, talented kid!

She was wonderful, or as she would say, awesome. Thanks for posting the triple Axel videos. She's still skating, I gather, in exhibition programs such as Michael Weiss's.

Nadine

Record Breaker
I like Kimmie, and felt sorry for her that she got caught in the COP mess, much like the way Mao Asada did. However, unlike Asada (who's still in the process of re-working her technique on the jumps), Kimmie suffered injuries that left her unable to compete these last 4 years?

Lol and now it seems that where once the COP panel was extremely harsh on every little UR & DG, now they're quite lax, so who knows what's next???? :confused2:

My point being Kimmie could come back and do quite well with the new system, or else it could change once again, and she could falter (assuming her jumps are the same).

It's a crapshoot.

By the way, though I admired Kimmie's courage for going after the 3axel, none of hers were ever fully rotated, especially the one that was ratified at Nationals. It should have never happened imho. Obvious 1/2 UR, whereas Tonya's was not only fully rotated, but also had great height & depth to it. No offense meant, just stating fact.

That said, I would welcome back Kimmie with both arms open. :love:

GOOOOOOOOOOO KIMMIE!!!!

And wasn't she a jr national champ? or was that jr world? Anyone recall? I loved Kimmie Meissner. Wow, what woman hood does to a body! Great, talented kid!

I apologize for contesting your statement, but I always get uneasy when someone implies that womanhood is bad for a body. Even in skating--even in gymnastics (thinking of Khorkina)--there is a place for a strong, full-grown female person. There are tricky moments in the process, but good technique and perseverance should make a difference. I continue to think of Viktoria Volchkova, one of the great jumpers and no androgynous sylph, as well as Tonya Harding, a well-built lady who (see Nadine's post) had a more fully rotated triple Axel than Kimmie.

I know that Alissa isn't the greatest example of a jumper, but her fellow tall skater, Carolina Kostner, has done rather well with jumps, though nerves have sometimes made her inconsistent. Likewise Kiira Korpi has at least one triple-triple, and there's always the queenly Shizuka Arakawa.

My point is that the so-called puberty monster can be tamed, even in the chaos of changing CoP standards. At least, to my untutored eye, it should be able to.