Alissa wishes Carolina good luck | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Alissa wishes Carolina good luck

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
As for Liza, it is grossly unfair to expect her to project the same persona as another skater (Lipinski) from another country and culture merely based on similar ages. She has a different personality than Tara. What she has in common is that she appears to be very focused, driven and having the time of her life. While she does have significant room to grow as far as her presentation and maturity is concerned, she is far from junior-ish in my mind. She has skated brilliantly this fall and is not learning at a rapid rate. If she appears proud of herself after she finishes her programs, it's because she should be. That's part of being an athlete. This is not a Miss Congeniality pageant. It's a sport.

It is true that online and offline personae are quite different, because Liza (at least on facebook) is actually a very nice girl. She responds to every message she gets. You know it's not a fan club president pretending to be her when she's talking to you. I've actually had to tell her to get off facebook :laugh::laugh: because it's late in Russia and she has to get rest to practice.

As for her demeanor after performances, I think because she feels she's new on the senior scene, she wants to appear tough. And what's wrong with a tough-seeming young woman? Personally, I'd rather have her as she is, than appearing too humble. I'm glad she believes in herself!

I remember when Mao first burst onto the scene at 14, and people thought her behavior was a bit inappropriate, because she did behave more like a 14-year old. She giggled at the kiss-and-cry!

Layfan

Record Breaker
This is all so nice to hear. It reminds me of what seemed to be a genuine friendship between Kwan and Slutskaya through the years of their intense rivalry.

I do hope that both these ladies end up on the world podium (along with Mao). in one way they're underdogs, but in another, they're the class of the field. They skate as if it's an art as well as a sport, which I happen to prefer.

That would be a great podium. :cool:

Very nice thread about Alissa. She and Caro have been at it for so long. Nice to know they have that sort of respect for each other.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Having read Ms janet Lynn's article, I have to say judges are rewarding Liza's jumps mainly. I know her coach Mishin is responsible for the style the great Zhenya got slammed for repeatedly, but what is he teaching her from the waist up? These arm movements are dreadful and her hands-what the heck is that? certainly not classical Russian ballerina positions. So distractingly weird. And yet two golds for the jumping. She may be a sweetheart but yes, there is a Svetlana in the making and do we remember THAT diva behavior? NOT my favorite gymnast, though fun to watch and laugh at due to the diva-isms!

seniorita

Record Breaker
Khorkina have been one of those gymnasts who were innovative and made history, if you only can comment about her the diva profile and laugh about, then I dont see the argument for Liza either.

brightphoton

Medalist
All the best take ballet and she might too.

Not every single dancing style is ballet, despite the prominence of balletic pieces in figure skating. Liza isn't skating to classical pretty princess music; she's doing a medley of Latin songs. Salsa, tango, and flamenco are distinctive from ballet.

Trewyn

Medalist
Alissa and Carolina both seem to be absolutely lovely ladies!! I've never noticed a skaters say 'good luck' to the next competitor, but it was very nice to see!

Dodhiyel

Final Flight
Not every single dancing style is ballet, despite the prominence of balletic pieces in figure skating. Liza isn't skating to classical pretty princess music; she's doing a medley of Latin songs. Salsa, tango, and flamenco are distinctive from ballet.

ITA.

In the last analysis, it matters if one enjoys watching a skater, insofar as the home TV and online audience is concerned. I enjoy watching Tuktamysheva immensely, and I find that her gesticulations are more than suitable for the music she is using. In fact, I was delighted by the way she captured various nuances of the latin flavor. It gives me joy to watch her.

By the way, I have long been a fan of Alissa's exquisite style, and of her personality as well, and I have been happy to see her gain confidence. :)

russell30

Final Flight
Ladies Artistry is back again, Carolina and Alissa just beautiful on the ice. I hope they both medal at worlds.

Love Akiko too:biggrin:

Carolina, Alissa, Akiko are doing so well at the moment

and Mao is back too:biggrin:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Haven't read the thread, but just wanted to say I'm not surprised, as they both come across as nice elegant classy ladies, unassuming and a bit shy, or should I say humble. :)

Also, they're of a comparable age (both 24 yrs. of age), have competed against each other for years, are not necessarily known for their jumping prowess (though Carolina has done quite a few 3/3s in the past) and in the old days both were known as inconsistent skaters.

So I bet it's a surprise for both of them to be actual Gold Medal Contenders at Worlds for the first time, especially Czisny, as Carolina has had more international success versus the former.

I wish them both good luck, and honestly wouldn't mind either one winning Worlds in 2012, as I think it will be their best shot, so go for it! :love:

skateluvr

Record Breaker

I enjoy her skating because she is so good at 14 and not juniorish, and its great to see someone jump like that with confidence and not fall. i think that every great Russian skater in each form does ballet. Even irina the great really tried to improve her athleticism with ballet training. What is more Russian than ballet? Liza's gestures may be more appropriate for the music she skates to now but what happens when she takes on the classical peices, as she definitely will? There really needs to be some changes in her arms and hands. There is this Russian bravura in dance and in skating and gymnastics which can be so over the top it turns fans away.

Liza is certainly hard to take your eyes off of, like Plush, like Khorhina, but sometimes it's for the odd reasons. Mishin is known to push the jumps, make consistent the jumps in his child stars and work on the rest later. But if she is winning championships because of what she does from the waist down, we are likely not going to see the other deficits in her skating addressed. i am not the only one from reading the comp. threads who are distracted by these very unique to her gestures. Ah Mishiin...not your classic coach. I'd like to see her with Morozov, TAt or Zoueva, Shpilband if they take single skaters. Anyone but Mishin. While I loved Plush, Yagudin was much more my style. Still, I can see why Liza has so many fans. She truly is something special.

Last edited:

Binthere

On the Ice
Both seem like very open, warm, good sports, lovely ladies. Nice to see sportsmanship highlighted. We should 'assume' it to an extent, but that does not mean it should not be acknowledged. Too much bad behavior in this sport in ways all too common. Good for them both.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Liza to Morosov and Tarasova? WhY? To make her like Amodio or to skate to Bells of Moscow? She didnt do a favor to Sasha either. And she sort of trains Adelina now.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Actually, in this interview, she mentions how shy she is.-> http://ontd-skating.livejournal.com/1225040.html

Q : In one of the interviews, your mother told me that as a child you have never cried...
Tut : It's true. I am too shy to cry. Cannot even imagine what I would do if anyone sees me crying.

Q : Even when the Russian national anthem is playing?
Tut : Yes, I'm still shy.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Cute, Cute! :biggrin:

And love this photo. 3 beautiful girls.
http://i.imgur.com/BkW23.jpg