Back to the future or the past | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Back to the future or the past

Nadine

Record Breaker
This was a wonderful thread, more than all else it makes me appreciate that I was alive to see & experience so many great performances over the decades. Though they may not have been in person, I was there to see them on t.v. when they actually happened (e.g. Dorothy Hamill in 1976). :) And I recall Rosalynn Sumners versus Katarina Witt like it was yesterday. Being a lifelong Seattleite (i.e. a person from Seattle) the hoopla surrounding Rosalynn skating at the 1984 Olympics was all over the news, and then the actual skate itself was something else. And what made it more special was back then, before the internet & 1000+ channels on t.v., there were only the basic channels (aka 4,5,7,9,11,13), so it was more old-fashioned and intimate imho, kinda like how everybody would gather around the radio in the days of my grandparents before t.v. was a reality.

And now we have IN and the intimacy of watching skating competitions live with like-minded individuals across the world, one good thing of technology imho. :love:

I say this all for those that will come after us in the future, be it 25, 50 or 100 years from now. Ahhh, what they will miss, like how I miss & envy those that were alive to see Sonja skate...

But who knows, 100 years from now the actual spectators may actually have the ability to transport themselves to the competitions!, kinda like how Captain Kirk and his Star Trek crew are able to do so. :biggrin:

silverpond

On the Ice
Any event ever would be the whole Calgary Olympics in 1988! To pick one event from the event:

Men's LP, to see Boitano, Orser, Petrenko, Bowman, Wylie, and Browning all have good skates. (The SP was great too) And Midori ITO had 2 of the best programs ever by a lady. And G&G won their first gold. And the Duchesnay's made their debut in ice dance, Wilson & McCall had their great Elite Syncopations FD, K&P and A&S were great.

Great choices, Doris! I would add Peggy Fleming's gold-medal performance at Grenoble, 1968, Katarina Witt's gold-medal performance at Sarajevo, 1984, Paul Wylie's silver-medal performance at Albertville 1992 (along with Kristi Yamaguchi's gold-medal winning performance at those Games.)

Also....Torvil and Dean's gold-medal performance at Sarajevo, Michelle Kwan's beautiful short and long programs at the 1998 US Nationals, Elaine Zayak's gold-medal performance at the 1982 Worlds.

The "Battle of the Brians" was, in my opinion, one of the finest, if not the finest, men's competitive events of all time. So many of the men skated great programs. It was inspiring to see not just the top flight, but the skaters in the second flight (Bowman, Wylie, Browning, etc) skate so well and show so much promise for the future.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
silverpond, have you a link to Elaine Zayak's 1982 performance? And you are most welcome Nadine. It is about my dreams to see the Olympics and other great competitions never realized. Which makes me think of another heartfelt thread hoping for what i can share from fortunate Gsers who have been in the flesh. HMMMMM.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Never stop dreaming, skateluvr, because once we stop dreaming we die inside, which is why I love that quote from Walt Disney "a dream is a wish your heart makes". :love:

And I honestly believe that we can go back in time in our dreams, mayhap when we least expect it it will happen.

And I'm not being facetious.