Rachael Flatt tries to work out kinks | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Rachael Flatt tries to work out kinks

It looks like based on her Loop she is going to try to water down her content to do bettter but she does not have the PCS to make up for that! I don't know what her LP holds but if she is lowering her content I think she is on her way out and she doesn't want to injure herself on her way out.

The problem will arise if, at Nationals, no one seizes the opportunity to be better than this. Can you imagine the ranking of anyone with skating of her current level making even the top five in, say, 1999 or 2000? The question at this point isn't "Why do the judges choose her for the world team?" but "Why don't they have anyone better to choose?" This season is anyone's for the taking, but someone has to be good enough to take it. I hope that not only Alyssa but Mirai or Agnes also rise to the occasion.

I think the same thing is happening to Rachael here as to what happened to Aki Sawada back in TEB '08.
Goes to show that judges are average humans in a bad way.
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What happened to Aki Sawada?

And Olympia, I believe Ashley will be more than happy to jump through the door opened by Rachael. And I pray Mirai will!

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US ladies World team should be Alissa and Mirai. Now it's up to them to get it done!

sorcerer

Final Flight
I'm not sure what you mean by this. What happened to Aki Sawada? ...

I made a mistake and it was a year earlier.
This is what it was like when she skated at 4CC Feb '07, Colorado Springs:
http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2007/SEG003.HTM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/fc2007/SEG004.HTM

Now half a year later at TEB '07, Paris.
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra07/SEG003.HTM
http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpfra07/SEG004.HTM

The point is she LOOKED completely inflated and the judges automatically deflated her score.
Her skating was pretty much the same as 4CC, IIRC.

I'm sorry if I'm being dense! I'm not that familiar with Aki and vids of those skates aren't on Youtube AFAIK. Are you saying:

(a) she got overscored and then the judges compensated by underscoring her?

or (b) she gained weight and then the judges lowered her component scores?

I could see either being the case with Rachael. Haven't seen the ladies' yet, though.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Even if Nagasu falters again at Nationals Wagner will be the one to take that 2nd spot, or maybe Agnes. Even a splatfest wouldnt put Flatt on the World team at this point, even if she has one of her better outings. I am sure the USFSA and U.S judges are more than aware of their mistake last year putting her on, and her skating has only regressed since.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You all seem to forget that Rachael skated extremely well at Nationals, and that's why she went to Worlds. If Nagasu or Wagner had stepped up to the plate, they would have gone instead. The reason why Rachael skated poorly at Worlds was a very painful stress fracture in her leg. She should have withdrawn and let Nagasu go instead, but there is no way to know if Mirai would have placed high enough to get 3 spots for Worlds this year, considering that she has a tendency to tense up and not skate her best when under pressure.

Rachael is attending Stanford FULL TIME this fall and has a heavy class load. In addition, she has to travel pretty far for practice ice and that takes a lot of her valuable time. That's why she isn't in top shape. If she doesn't do well at Nationals this year, then obviously she won't be going to Worlds. Maybe then she will re-evaluate her decision to try to combine college with competitive skating. It's up to RACHAEL, not a bunch of armchair coaches.

sorcerer

Final Flight

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The US ladies World team should be Alissa and Mirai. Now it's up to them to get it done!

Mirai and Ashley didn't get it done last year, and that's why Rachael went to Worlds 2011.

And if Mirai and Ashley DON'T get it done at Nationals again this year, then some other skater(s) will go to Worlds and you will all b**tch about it next year and blame the skaters who do go for not skating well enough.

There's a reason why Nationals are the toughest competition of the year, and the skaters HAVE to bring it to aspire to a Worlds berth. If they don't, then they don't deserve to go.

I have to admit that weight takes away the IMPRESSION of lightness/flow in skating but that's human perception ... so the SS mark and such drops a lot via optical tendency inside our brains.
Oh, OK. Thanks for clarifying. IMO, it's not just an "impression"! That's why athletes talk about optimal weight. Excess weight affects freedom of movement (it can literally impede it), puts extra pressure on the joints, slows one down, and weighs one down. Besides which, skating has an aesthetic component (unlike, say, tennis). Ten or fifteen extra pounds may not make a dramatic difference in an ordinary person, who can find ways to cover it up (something current fashion designers are getting very good at since people are getting heavier and heavier), but when you're wearing a skimpy little dress and your body is being photographed by TV cameras from every possible angle, that extra weight is impossible to hide. And not very attractive.

Unfortunately the converse is also true. There are way too many skaters who look like sticks, and who go too far in order to achieve the advantages of lightness (for jumps, lifts, etc.) and slimness (for the TV cameras).

It's a cruel sport, but at least in the US, nobody has to do it.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
You all seem to forget that Rachael skated extremely well at Nationals, and that's why she went to Worlds.

Rachael did not skate "extremely well" in the LP at Nationals. She landed only 4 clean triples, the same number as Nagasu.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think another factor people have to remember is that Rachel will have a month off from school before Nationals. If she spends that time wisely she could really surprise some people.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here's what Rachael landed at 2011 Nationals:
2a+3t<, 2z, 3f, 3z+2t 3f+2t+2lo, 3lo, 3s----that's 5 triples, and 59.46 TES

Alissa:
3z+2t, 3f, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo<, 3z+2t, 2a, 3t----5 triples, and 64.19 TES

Mirai:
3z+2t, 2a+2t, 3f(e), 3z<, 3t+2t+2lo, 3lo, 2a---4 triples, and 53.45 TES (she lost all credit for one of her spins)

Ashley:
3f+2t, 2a+3t<, 3z+2t+2lo, 3lo, 2a, 3f<fall, 3t---4 triples, and 52.72 TES

The end result:
191.24 62.50 128.74 2 1 Alissa
183.38 62.32 121.06 3 2 Rachael
177.25 63.35 113.90 1 3 Mirai
173.84 61.54 112.30 4 4 Agnes
167.20 58.43 108.77 5 6 Christina Gao
165.36 54.63 110.73 7 5 Ashley

skateflower

Match Penalty
It's laughable Flatt could beat Mirai and Ashley by a margin of between 8 and 10 points at the last nationals. The U.S. judges are obviously on another planet. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the U.S. judges will score these three for the upcoming nationals assuming Flatt somehow skate 'clean' again, which is not out of the question with another month of training. On the other hand, let's say Mirai and Ashley botch a few jumps again. Who will them send to the worlds? The U.S. judges are between a rock and a hard place.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It isn't laughable, it's sad that Mirai and Ashley consistently defeat themselves at Nationals.

Ashley has had a pattern of bombing the SP and taking herself out of contention. She did that spectacularly in 2009 and again in 2011. She skated both programs well in 2010, but not quite enough to beat Rachael and Mirai.

Mirai seems not to do well at Nationals when she wins the SP. That's been a problem for her internationally as well. She also has a tendency to UR jumps in the FS, especially towards the end of her FS.

The US judges can't conjure up scores for skaters who can't handle the pressure. The skaters have to deliver the performances to make it to the top two steps of the podium and earn a trip to Worlds. It's no use moaning when they fail to deliver, because as Terry Gannon likes to say, the skaters do control their own destiny.

burntBREAD

Medalist
It isn't laughable, it's sad that Mirai and Ashley consistently defeat themselves at Nationals.

Ashley has had a pattern of bombing the SP and taking herself out of contention. She did that spectacularly in 2009 and again in 2011. She skated both programs well in 2010, but not quite enough to beat Rachael and Mirai.

Mirai seems not to do well at Nationals when she wins the SP. That's been a problem for her internationally as well. She also has a tendency to UR jumps in the FS, especially towards the end of her FS.

The US judges can't conjure up scores for skaters who can't handle the pressure. The skaters have to deliver the performances to make it to the top two steps of the podium and earn a trip to Worlds. It's no use moaning when they fail to deliver, because as Terry Gannon likes to say, the skaters do control their own destiny.

Ashley fell in the SP in 2010. Mirai has actually only not done well at Nationals after leading the SP one time, last year. (In 2008 and 2010 I think she did fine in her FS) However, internationally, yes, she has fallen apart quite a few times. I mean, Ashley's SP problem is true, but I don't think Mirai has really consistently defeated herself at Nationals. She's placed 1st, 5th, 2nd, and 3rd. She's defeated herself once at Nationals, but elsewhere, yes, you could definitely say that she defeats herself.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Ashley fell in the SP in 2010. Mirai has actually only not done well at Nationals after leading the SP one time, last year. (In 2008 and 2010 I think she did fine in her FS) However, internationally, yes, she has fallen apart quite a few times. I mean, Ashley's SP problem is true, but I don't think Mirai has really consistently defeated herself at Nationals. She's placed 1st, 5th, 2nd, and 3rd. She's defeated herself once at Nationals, but elsewhere, yes, you could definitely say that she defeats herself.

I tend to agree with Chuck. Mirai and Alyssa are the two skaters that, if everyone skated clean, should be in the top 2 at Nationals. Finishing 3rd and finishing 2nd to Flatt are not great results for Mirai.