Happy Thanksgiving-any skating specials? | Golden Skate

Happy Thanksgiving-any skating specials?

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks be to God for the sport of figure skating that gives joy to us who get to watch if only via the internet. I wish a Happy Turkey day to my fellow skate enthusiasts in America and wherever it is celebrated. I am thankful that I have food, shel:)ter and some people to share the day with. I am thankful there are some nice people here who in general anwser my questions even though i am not a brilliant skating fan with CoP answers. Especially to the older fans, I wish you many more years of good viewing.

Forums and skating should be uplifting places of freindship as well as interesting and lively debate. God bless everyone, especially anyone feeling alone, frail, old on these holidays. You never know how you might uplift someone with a shared youtube video, or such interesting fund of knowledge here. One has to look for the smallest blessings in these days of great uncertainty thru the whole world. So here's a glass raised (grape juice!) to the art and sport of skating. Cheers!

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Ok, just looked at the heather Tv page and there is something on Fox tomorrow but with no time given...TBA Kaleidescope aa(sp) ANYONE have more info on this from some other listing please? thnak you.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
ETA: I am so out of touch with pro skating shows...:rolleye:

Last edited:

mganders

Rinkside
It's scheduled for 4:00 to 5:00 Eastern time. I found a facebook page and there's a poster. don't know if I'm allowed to post it here though. Here's what they say on fb: Don't forget to tune in, or set the DVR, this Thursday, Thanksgiving Day, for Kaleidoscope on Ice, a holiday spectacular and musical extravaganza celebrating cancer survivorship. It will air nationally on FOX from 4:00pm – 5:00pm (EST), immediately following the FOX Thanksgiving Day football telecast.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks mganders and Tonichelle for the info. Never thought to check a Fb page. Well, I will attempt to tune into Fox at 5pm. It sounds worth watching if last year is any indication.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I am glad to see also it is show supporting cancer survivors/research. I certainly relate. I really enjoy the mature Nancy as a skater. She just about stole the show with her skate to the 'Wicked' soundtrack at that Big Salute to Skating (whatever) at Caesar's last year. She is an incredible survivor herself.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Salut! *raises glass of sparkling apple cider*

Enjoy Turkey Day everyone, and remember it's a day of sharing, coming together, and helping others, truly a day of thanks-giving. :)

ps: remember to check your turkey all night long; sometimes I forget. ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
So far the show is pretty good. Biased as I am... I love Kurt. Still sooooooooooo good :love:

Rats! Missed most of it. But I'll look for bits on YouTube. I'm with you, Tonichelle: if it's got Kurt, it makes me happy.

And I join you all in a toast with a glass of pomegranate/cranberry juice. I'm grateful for so many things, both basics and extras. (I'm not sure which one skating is!) I send best Thanksgiving wishes to my skating friends across the globe. Even though this is not a holiday that's celebrated everywhere, the sentiment is surely universal.

silverpond

On the Ice
I'll raise a glass of apple cider to the sport of figure skating and to all of us who share a passion for this sport - whether as participants, fans, or casual followers.

This was a difficult year for me, as I lost my much-loved Dad, served as Executrix to his estate, sold the family house (cleaning out the house was one of the most emotional tasks I've ever done), and worked so much overtime at work that I'm in a state near exhaustion. While I am thankful that I am still employed, I simply cannot understand why my employer does not hire more people to lighten the work load. Money is spent for consultants, contractors, and other folks who run around telling us what to do, but there are not enough of the "worker bees" such as yours truly to get the job done. Mistakes are being made, which isn't surprising.

But enough about me. Thank God for America, for friends, families, good health, and for the little things in life that bring pleasure and joy to all of us.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone out there! I hope you all had a lovely day.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Had a WONDERFUL Thanksgiving! :love: And I hope you all had as well. :)^) But the most memorable moment had to be when I was out delivering care packages to loved ones with my niece & mother, I stopped off at Starbucks to buy my mom her usual latte, when the barista told me I didn't have to pay because the totally unknown stranger that had just driven off had already paid for it, with best wishes and a Happy Thanksgiving. Needless to say the kindness of strangers just makes me cry and overwhelmed with love. It's like that movie "Pay It Forward" times 10! :cool:

And I second everybody's good wishes on this thread ~ to everybody in the world ~ ENJOY! :yay:

Btw, I have no skating specials to offer as I find 99.9% of them to be cheesy & corny, even when my faves have appeared, in fact it was worse. :( What I miss are the professional skating competitions, especially Ice Wars, which was built specifically for Oksana Baiul's benefit IIRC, and lasted the longest amongst all the pro competitions, the last one being in 2006. Without Ice Wars, Thanksgiving doesn't seem the same as far as skating goes, as it would be my first glimpse of Oksana and her unique creative innovative programs that year. Ah, memories...

ps: sorry about your troubles, silverpond, my prayers go out to you. I too lost my beloved father in 1998, so I know somewhat of what you're going through. But everything will be all right, I truly believe that.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
AHHHH, I feel so ill, migraine coming, and i tuned into fox and in my area there was Dr Oz. So I did not see anything. Love patti labelle and wanted to see Kurt and nancy among others.

ManyCairns

Medalist
Country
United-States
I caught the Kaleidoscope show and really enjoyed it, and I sometimes find those types of shows zzzzzz.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Wow Doris, that's actually a sedate outfit for Johnny. I guess he is quite the NYC celeb to have how own float! I'll bet Evan is just a wee bit jealous! (just kidding Evan fans!)