Which Skaters This Season You are Now a Fan Of.... But Used to Not Care Before? | Golden Skate

Which Skaters This Season You are Now a Fan Of.... But Used to Not Care Before?

TtonyV7

On the Ice
Which Skaters This Season You are Now a Fan Of.... But Used to Not Care Before?

Which skaters so far this season, has made improvements or changes that now has caught your attention but didn't care for before? Example for me would be Miki Ando during her Carol Heiss era, or Angela Nikodinov in 2000.

1. Victoria Helgesson: I used to think she was just another European C-Level skater, but she has really matured this season, with two very well choreograph programs. She is officially a "Ladies" versus teen skater. Nice speed, clean, and overall presentation on the Ice. If she can just get her jump down, she could be an outside threat for European Podium, especially with the Finnish Team being down this season.

2. Ashley Wagner: I've always been "eh..." about Ashley, however I do see a attempt to really distinguish herself style wise, and is finally bring a little bit something extra to the table. We shall see how she will fair at Nationals......

3. Carolina Kostner: Last Season I finally "Liked" her as a Skater. This season I'm finally "A Fan". Innovative Short.... Classical Masterpiece in the Long. Along with her improvement in her consistency, she is know much more enjoyable in my eyes. Do I miss some of her triple-triple Spark and Excitement... yes, but no at the expense of see a true artist on Ice now.

4. Javier Fernandez: I always thought he was a cute -- middle of the pack skater. His improvement with Orser and Buttle has been remarkable. One of the best SP this season, and just more fluidity and maturity to his skating now.

5. TAKAHASHI / TRAN: I think they are still little bit "boring", BUT I've have notice a huge improvement in their overall skating, and there is now a little bit more "life" in their programs. Though still not exciting as some of the other pairs, I no longer take bath room breaks when they skate.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Definitely Alissa Czisny!!!! My hate, not just mere dislike, went up a thousand-fold after the 2009 World Championships, where she finished 11th, and I felt was the cause for the USA not earning 3 spots for the 2010 Olympics. Before that I just tolerated her, but after that, scream! :jaw: :mad: But seriously, I never paid attention to her until the last couple of years when she started winning events, before that I honestly never even knew she existed, off my radar. But when I did notice, I didn't like because I felt she unjustly won competitions and she was a "safe" skater; safe skaters I have no respect for, inside I spit on them.

Anyhow, enough of that! All has changed and been forgiven this GP year, especially her SP to "La Vie En Rose", and also I am acknowledging the fact that she has been trying to up her ante on the technical side. Now that the hate has worn off I can now honestly see the beauty in Alissa's skating. She's like a ballerina on ice ~ perfect carriage, posture, layback, plie, exquisite. Please accept my most sincere apologies, Alissa. :bow:

ps: she's only the second skater I've ever changed my mind about in my history of watching figure skating, because once I make up my mind, that's it, nothing can budge me. *stubborn as a bull*

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I personally can't see wasting time and energy of hating a person I don't know. Shoot, I have a hard time hating people I do know. It's just not something I want to spend a great deal of time on. Sure when I was 14 I hated everything or loved everything, but I grew up and realized there's a whole lot more to life than freaking out so much over an athlete/celebrity/prom queen.

as for the question? Maybe V/M and D/W... I dunno. I've never been decided on how I felt about either team. They're just really good technicians, but I either like either their FD or their SD in a season or don't care for anything they put out except maybe and exhibition. Yet, this year I can't seem to get enough of either team. So maybe them? I don't know... I haven't warmed or cooled to much of anything in skating so far this season.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Helgesson rules :rock:

Anyway skaters that i didnt care would be Wagner and Song. I didnt hate them before I was just not getting them, especially Song I thought last season was not like his juniors. But this season I like Ashley programs a lot, they have personality and she is not skating to fairytale music and Song has done a tone of improvement.
Also I was never a fan of K/S but this season I like both sp and lp.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Oh please, Tonichelle, you take things so literally. :p

And don't worry, m'dear, I never had thoughts of going after her with a pick axe. ;)

Here's your halo, btw. :yay:

I personally can't see wasting time and energy of hating a person I don't know. Shoot, I have a hard time hating people I do know. It's just not something I want to spend a great deal of time on. Sure when I was 14 I hated everything or loved everything, but I grew up and realized there's a whole lot more to life than freaking out so much over an athlete/celebrity/prom queen.

as for the question? Maybe V/M and D/W... I dunno. I've never been decided on how I felt about either team. They're just really good technicians, but I either like either their FD or their SD in a season or don't care for anything they put out except maybe and exhibition. Yet, this year I can't seem to get enough of either team. So maybe them? I don't know... I haven't warmed or cooled to much of anything in skating so far this season.

So are you saying I must give up hope that you will ever become a Kwan-bot?

On the other hand, Kurt will never lose you or me as fans.

I always loved Alissa, through thick or thin, but I'm feeling more strongly toward Carolina this year, and I've grown more impressed with Ashley. I'll have to give Helgesson a closer look.

(By the way, Tonichelle, I watched a YouTube video of Kurt from last year's Kaleidoscope show, and I have decided that his footwork would have to be classified as perhaps a Level 9...because 4 can't begin to cover it. He spoiled us all rotten for other skaters, didn't he.)

Last edited:

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
No doubt about it for me it is Victoria Helgesson and Ross Miner.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Alena Leonova. Her pirate wench meets Britney Spears SP did it for me!

Actually I've always liked her. That SP I don't particularly care for.

Skaters I've warmed up to this season:

Ksenia Makarova
Kristienne Gao

I credit their SPs for this (even Gao 's Celine Dion SP is a good one).

burntBREAD

Medalist
Alena Leonova. Her pirate wench meets Britney Spears SP did it for me!

Actually I've always liked her. That SP I don't particularly care for.

Skaters I've warmed up to this season:

Ksenia Makarova
Kristienne Gao

I credit their SPs for this (even Gao 's Celine Dion SP is a good one).

It's Christina, Kristiene is Kristiene Gong's first name!

TelmoFe

Rinkside
Alena Leonova, I liked her, but since last worlds she ring me everytime.
Javier Fernandes, I'm portuguese and he is my "native" closest skating.
Weaver/Poje since last Worlds too.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've always liked Jeremy Abbott's skating, but this year his programs blow me away. I think Abbott and Takahashi are THE masters of mood and interpretation.

I'm also becoming a fan of Yuruzu Hanyu---he is so young and has so much talent. Hanyu reminds me of Johnny Weir when he was an up-and-coming skater.

Ladies aren't nearly as exciting. I like Leonova's personality, but her skating is too often sloppy and unrefined. Tuktamisheva and Sotnikova are promising, but who knows how they will be in the future when growth and maturity descend on them. Kostner is skating better, but only because she has such a limited (and easy) jump repertoire. I find the US Junior Jadies (especially Gracie Gold, Barbie Long and Hannah Miller) more interesting than the Seniors. Wagner and Nagasu have their moments, but neither is at all consistent, and both get dinged for edges and URs. Flatt has regressed while trying to juggle college and competition. Zawadzki, Gao and Zhang all seem to be struggling with jumps.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
When Daisuke Takahashi first moved up to seniors, he would either skate brilliantly, or he'd fall four times. Since I was already a fan of Emanuel Sandhu and Jeff Buttle, the last thing I needed was to fall in love with another inconsistent male skater so I resisted for a long, long time. I finally surrendered to the love the season he skated his "Techno'Swan" program. Now I don't care how many times he falls or whether he wins, it's just such a joy to watch him skate.

There are a number of skaters coming out of juniors that I only discovered this year, but I think you're asking about changes of heart. Carolina impresses me a lot more than in the past. Now that she's not spilling all over the ice I can see her good qualities. Also her music is so superior! (The Bolero and Scheherazade I heard today in COR would have Ravel and Rimsky-Korsakov turning over in their graves. Instead of "Bolero-Ravel" etc. the music credit should read "Bolero pastiche" or "Muzak (Bolero).") Shostakovitch is a remarkable choice and that Mozart concerto is sublime; and what's more both she and her choreographer seem to actually hear the music.

In the past I've been off and on with D/W but with this year's scintillating free dance, they've totally won me over. Similarly Jeremy with both his programs.

KVDP has never been my cup of tea but I'm so amazed at the feats he is still pulling off at his advanced age that I look forward to every skate. I was concerned about his choice of Yagudin's MITIM music, but dang if he didn't pull it off in his way.

prettykeys

Medalist
- Daisuke Takahashi: I love his programs this year.
- Yuzuru Hanyu: He's adorable and talented.

I would add Carolina Kostner to this list since this is the first season I am watching her as a fan, but my fandom began around May so I could say it was "before". :p I'm not in love with her programs this year.

Skaters who have piqued my interest but I am not quite a fan of yet are: Javier Fernandez and Nan Song. I'll be watching them and seeing if my <3 grows.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Han Yan.

I was aware of his potential before but this year he stands out for me in all aspects, jumps (TES), skating (PCS), and mental fortitude.

Very impressed with Fernandez' and Song's breakouts as well.

The Russian babes like Liza are getting my attention too now that they are appearing in the Senior competitions.

eta. I forgot there was a second part to the thread title. I'm simply much more impressed with these choices than before this season.

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you could combine Han Yan's jumps and Yuzuru Hanyu's expressiveness, you'd have an incredible skater. I hope both develop their talents fully in the coming years.