Ladies SP, Friday, 11/25/11 6AM EST | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Ladies SP, Friday, 11/25/11 6AM EST

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sadly with this crop of US Ladies Rachel has a good chance to make the World team again and bomb. :eek:

Even with the weakness of the US ladies field, I think the Nationals judges are really going to come down on her hard. For her not to be able to place higher than 8th in a GP event when she hits all her elements it's pretty clear she won't be able to place high enough internationally to get us 3 spots in 2013. It's tough because I feel like if she earns it at Nationals she should get to go, but really I'd rather see an inconsistent skater like Mirai or Ashley go because at least there's a possibility for a top 10 finish for them, which I don't think is the case for a clean Rachel.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Hrm...I expected Mao's SP to get better if she just went for a planned 2Axel for right now in the season instead of worrying about the 3Axel, but it didn't. This cut of music is very ineffective. There are so many different sounds happening that it is impossible for the skater to match them; it makes Mao's movements seem incongruous at times.

lavender

Record Breaker
Wow Agnes looks like she grew taller even more from her first comp this season. I just can't enjoy her skating. Her legs and slowness bother me.

Mao looks better than the last competition. She looks so happy now. Love her and her speed.

Layfan

Record Breaker
Alena ... I don't know. She is doing so well this season and I am happy for her and would not change the results but she overacts. It kind of bugged me tonight. It was trying too hard. And her footwork ... Is it supposed to be circular or serpentine or what? I can never tell. Still, it is obvious what a hard worker she is. Good for her.

I am so happy for Mao. I don't love her program the way some do but each time she has skated this season I have felt that she is in a class all her own, regardless of the scores or results. I just hope she continues to get stronger this season and eventually gets back to where she once was or even better.

Rachael looked strong. I'll have to look at the protocols but maybe her lower placement was just due to her usual weaknesses. Anyway, kudos to her for a decent program given all the pressure she was under. She was still the best of the three Americans.

I hear everyone about Kiira but maybe she gets the extra points for being a graceful skater? It is supposed to be a graceful sport after all.

Poor Cristina. I have always been skeptical about her and this season isn't doing anything to make me jump on her bandwagon for good. But I certainly root for her to finally get her stuff together and have her day. How old is she, 18? You never know. She could be an Alissa or better yet a Joannie Rochette.

I also thought Haruka's 3 loop was solid! Hers was one of the programs I enjoyed the most. I wish she had placed higher.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Hrm...I expected Mao's SP to get better if she just went for a planned 2Axel for right now in the season instead of worrying about the 3Axel, but it didn't. This cut of music is very ineffective. There are so many different sounds happening that it is impossible for the skater to match them; it makes Mao's movements seem incongruous at times.
I dislike the music, the choreography and the costume. The best part of the program is her beautiful face, so sweet and adorable. She ties with Alissa Czisny, both winning the beauty pageant (if there is one for skaters) for their natural grace and lovely personality.

Last edited:

gmyers

Record Breaker
Flatt can't replace a Lutz attempt with a loop! That's not going to work for her. As far as I look- flip, lutz, axel for her in SPs.

lavender

Record Breaker
Alena ... I don't know. She is doing so well this season and I am happy for her and would not change the results but she overacts. It kind of bugged me tonight. It was trying too hard. And her footwork ... Is it supposed to be circular or serpentine or what? I can never tell. Still, it is obvious what a hard worker she is. Good for her.

All I can think of is Mirai skating a better program to this music. She's probably excited because she's in Russia however she's just not a skater that I truly enjoy.

Love Haruka. I didn't know who she was before this season.

Not surprised by Rachel and her scores. She just doesn't flow on the ice. It's just labored skating to me but I'm happy that she had a much better skate than the last time.

Last edited:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Gorgeous performance by Rach, ahhhh what a difference a clean performance makes, puts a smile on my face and a joy in my heart. LOVE the music as well. And I would love it if Rach would put in a stag jump or two, as well as a split falling leaf.

Thus far, best out of all the American ladies.

Good job! :)
and shes at stanford...go rachel flatt-awesome girl...5th? nadine you r so funny..

mycelticblessing

Final Flight
Alena really gave 100% for her performance;but, she deserve better choreography. She stop and pose around 4 time in this program.:sheesh:

Yes, it was a good performance, but I'm not warming up to her SP this season at all! Those poses really made me cringe.:eek:

skatinginbc

Medalist
Her choreographer is Nikolai Morozov, am I right? Sorry if I am wrong, but he's getting a reputation of packaging his male students as sexy rock stars and female students as sexy.....
Is that what the audience want? It reminds me of a comment I heard in actual life: "Not many guys like watching figure skating, which attracts gays and perverts that hope to get a peekaboo view of the young girl's crotch." I watch figure skating for art, not sex. Those poses irritate my eyes.

brightphoton

Medalist
I don't think figure skating is equated to sex, relative to other sports. I've shown men pictures of girls doing bielmann spins/spirals, and they don't get aroused. What really sets off the bow-chika-wow-wow are gymnasts wearing those wedgie leotards. The pictures aren't even of gymnasts doing tricks. They're just standing around, turned away from the camera ...

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Her choreographer is Nikolai Morozov, am I right? Sorry if I am wrong, but he's getting a reputation of packaging his male students as sexy rock stars and female students as sexy.....
Is that what the audience want? It reminds me of a comment I heard in actual life: "Not many guys like watching figure skating, which attracts gays and perverts that hope to get a peekaboo view of the young girl's crotch." I watch figure skating for art, not sex. Those poses irritate my eyes.

In my perspective, it comes down to how well the skater interprets the music and if the movement feels organic and if the skater is giving it everything they've got. I welcome all styles and feel it is a little narrow-minded to criticize someone solely for being overtly sexy. Although I have some issues with Alena's program, the concept of it is a great one for her and I believe many of the poses do favorably add to the interpretation of the music. Her movements bring to life the picture of a wanton woman seducing and/or challenging someone. If people feel uncomfortable with this material, I think it is probably time for them to have a fun night out and release some inhibitions...

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I also am not crazy about Alena's short program. I find it cheezy (in a Candoloro kind of way) and it seems like she rushes through everything to make time at the end for the step sequence. But I appreciate that she tries to stand out, that she doesn't just skate around with beautiful music in the background. And I agree with Blades that this is the right type of program for her; being able to show her personality seems to bring up the quality of her overall skating.