Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST | Golden Skate

Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST

Nadine

Record Breaker
Let's get the ball rolling! :cool:

But I honestly don't know if I can last another hour, will try to hang on...

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol is anybody else watching this on IN?

They're showing the men, Russians I think? and Brandon Mroz warming up in a huge room somewhere, and it looks dark outside. Never seen anything like this before, love it! :cool:

Nadine

Record Breaker
rotflmao! :rofl:

There's Menshov, and yeah more Russians, and some American girl whose voice irritates me, she keeps jabbering on & on & on. :disapp: :biggrin:

Nadine

Record Breaker
Darn, they cut it off, just when I was enjoying myself!

OH NO, THEY'RE BACK!!!! It's funny watching Mroz warmup and go through his routine, complete with expressions on his face.

Ooops, now they're back to showing that same ole screen.

Nadine

Record Breaker
5 minute warmup (btw Olga Markova looks just like she did when she competed those many years ago). :)

Skate order:
Group 1
Sergei Voronov, RUS
Brandon Mroz, USA
Konstantin Menshov, RUS
Andrei Rogozine, CAN

Group 2
Javier Fernandez, ESP
Yuzuru Hanyu, JPN
Jeremy Abbott, USA
Artur Gachinski, RUS
Michal Brezina, CZE

Nadine

Record Breaker
Lol is this Russian guy supposed to be a soccer player? or a soccer ball? :laugh: At least he woke me up. :biggrin:

Too bad about the UR & 2footed quad attempt, but at least he tried. :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Eurosport finally started showing after Voronov has started skating. Don't know how the US commentators do, but the Brits do point out UR, etc.

wallylutz

Medalist
Voronov looks more handsome and fit than the last time I saw him. However, his skating skill is just not up to par with elite male skaters - very slow and carried little flow on the ice. His movements seemed labor, despite big jump potential, the SS and TR are just mediocre. I hope he works more on his basic skating skills and improve the intricacy of his connecting steps.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Poor Brandon off today in the jumps (fall on the quad, huge stepout on the 3A, but the 3/3 looked just fine). Better luck in the FS. :)

Missed the music ID - is Mroz really skating to "when you're smiling"? He looks so miserable going out there.

Fall on a not-too-hot 4Lz and big step out of 3A, but he fights back and does the rest of the program well. In fact I don't remember seeing him skate with such style and line before. I could get into this. Good going!

wallylutz

Medalist
Mroz started out with some slow interpretative skating accelerated into his 4Lz attempt with not enough speed. He does have a respectable push on his skates but looked just a little tentative going into the 4Lz, hence didn't achieve enough height. This is an example where SS (power acceleration) that is not there yet can hinder execution of big jumps. Another thing I noticed is he looked tense and nervous when his music is supposed to be joyful and relax. That means he needs to learn to skate to his music's mood more, to achieve higher IN marks.

Nadine

Record Breaker
Computer crashed, but was able to see Menshov's 4/2, which I crossed my fingers for after he popped his 3A into a 2A, then fell on the solo triple jump later on. After that my computer when kaput. :(

wallylutz

Medalist
Menshov seems to struggle with skating on one foot. His TR and ability to execute anything that is on one foot is almost non-existent. Although he does have good power to propel to go into his jumps, I am afraid the latter are not enough to carry him to where he wants to be if he doesn't improve the finer aspect of his skating.

Jasper

Final Flight
Does anyone have a link to the live stream? Perhaps the Eurosport coverage? I would greatly appreciate!
Thanks all