Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST | Page 6 | Golden Skate

Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST

Art&Sport

Medalist
Jeremy received three Level 3 elements on two of his spins and on the footwork sequence. Yuzuru achieved all Level 4s on his non-jump elements. Abbott will want to improve on this for future competitions, especially when he faces Takahashi, Chan, and Kozuka.

I definitely don't see Hanyu receiving all level 4s on all his elements. If anything, Jeremy should have. Where and what do you think Jeremy is not doing that he needs to do museksk8r, if by chance you can read the judges' minds.

treeloving

Medalist
Hanyu is definitely a prodigy -- he even seems to have improved a bit here in presentation than he showed at CoC, but with the mistake on the quad landing, I would not have scored Hanyu as highly as the judges did. He should have higher PCS than Javi, but I would have had Hanyu more toward 80.50 or 81.00.

The reason he scored high in tech even he fell on quad is that he achive level 4 in every non jump element, combine with fully rotated quad and that many of the men didn't have the perfect jump tonight, his base value in tes is much higher than other competitor. His tes base is 42 while other people in top 5 tes base around 35 -36.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I definitely don't see Hanyu receiving all level 4s on all his elements. If anything, Jeremy should have. Where and what do you think Jeremy is not doing that he needs to do museksk8r, if by chance you can read the judges' minds.

I haven't seen the protocols yet, but levels are called by the tech panel according to strict criteria, not on the quality of execution. If Jeremy received level 3, it's actually good news because he can go back to tweak the program to raise the levels and hopefully still executes thme just as well. Chan received some level 3 this season too.

Art&Sport

Medalist
Oh no, here we were having a wonderful Jeremy love-fest and now it's going to be another Chan-anti-Chan fight. Thanks a lot.

You're welcome Spun Silver. Chan should not even be thought about huh? Just because he's not competing here? Yeah right.

Yes, I agree that Jeremy deserves a love-fest. But why should the mention of Chan and the fact I think Jeremy is a better overall skater stop you from the Jere love-fest? Is it unheard of for other skaters not competing in a particular comp to be mentioned by name when discussing skaters who performed in the comp? For equal time, I'll bring up Dai, Kosuka, Ross, Dornbush, Adam, Song. All good company.

Ha ha, I see that Dai Taka was already mentioned before I mentioned Chan.

Last edited:

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Jeremy's style, timing and command today were simply Browningesque. He made me like the swing music which is all but impossible.

:laugh: I have learned a long time ago that my favorites don't always use my favorite music. So swing is my thing now :cool:

Pretty OK with the result, except I would switch Brezina and Fernandez.

Jeremy received three Level 3 elements on two of his spins and on the footwork sequence. Yuzuru achieved all Level 4s on his non-jump elements. Abbott will want to improve on this for future competitions, especially when he faces Takahashi, Chan, and Kozuka.

So that's why? I wondered why Yusuru got three more points than Jeremy in tech? Y did a quad, but he didn't rotate it and he fell.

Anyway, I really, really hope Jeremy will show tomorrow that he has reached a new level in his skating career.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I agree with you that Jeremy is a more complete skater artistically than Patrick Chan, who should only beat Abbott on skating skills, but nothing else on the PCS scoring, IMO. I wish I could read the judges' minds; it would make understanding the scoring much easier. Thank goodness I have a protocol to look at; I wish the 6.0 system had used protocols. Perhaps once I'm able to leave work (gotta love federal jobs :rolleye:) and I've had the chance to actually watch Abbott's skate, maybe I can dissect his spins and footwork and see what the judges were missing there. The judges dissect so many things . . . did the skater hold each spin position for the required number of revolutions?, did the skater achieve a low enough sit spin position?, did the skater stay centered through the entire spin?, did the skater have the required number of position changes to achieve the highest level?, did the skater make the required number of edge changes in the spin to reach the highest level?, was the spin fast enough?, did the skater throw in the kitchen sink, the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, heck, the entire house into that footwork sequence?, and did they do all of this with speed, ease, flow, superior ice coverage?, and on and on and on. . . . ;)

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
It's sad to see how much he is succumbing to the pressure this season. I guess with the world bronze medal comes more and bigger expectations from himself and from his federation.

Clearly Gachinski is talented, but was overrated at Worlds 2011 because the event took place in Russia. I thought Leonova deserved bronze in ladies at Worlds 2011, more than Gachinski did in the men's event.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Brezina: Eh, I’m starting to get bored of this program. As the B. Eurosport commentators mentioned, he doesn’t do much interpreting when he’s got the jumps, and his other elements weren’t up to par – the spins and footwork in particular. You could tell he was struggling with stamina.

Hanyu: The speed he had going into the quad was sick, you could tell he wasn’t going to land it perfectly. There are moments of brilliance throughout this program, but it doesn’t quite work for me. Oh well, clearly a talented kid and tomorrow should be blazing.

Abbott: Okay, that was simply phenomenal. One comment: a strict technical panel will give him a fall deduction for that moment in the footwork. It’s really too much of a risk, as wonderful as it is. But why harp on the one minor negative aspect of this program? He sold it to high heavens and was simply magnificent throughout. Jeremy is not merely showing his mettle for a spot on the World team. He’s show his mettle for a spot on the World PODIUM.

Rogozine: Needs improvement, but I believe he will.

Gachinski: That triple axel was ridiculous. The choreography is too Mishinesque, so kudos to the judges for ranking him (tied for) fourth there. I actually think his skating skills are very strong and would’ve had him a little higher.

You know, Gachinski actually benefited from an interesting rule quirk: he didn’t do a combo and he fell, but because he fell on his combo listed element, he was only penalized once in terms of GOE. If he had listed his combo as the 3Lo+3T and skated as he did, he would’ve been penalized twice (which is what I thought was going to happen). In the end, it doesn’t affect rankings anyway (-3 on the loop would’ve brought him down to 72 and change)

Fernandez: Was better at SC, but it’s clear that he’s now a top tier skater. He wasn’t quite there in his expression (you could see it in his face that there was a little hesitance in the movement). Love this program, though.

More generally, the GPF is gonna be a barnburner.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The judges dissect so many things . . . did the skater hold each spin position for the required number of revolutions?, did the skater achieve a low enough sit spin position?, did the skater stay centered through the entire spin?, did the skater have the required number of position changes to achieve the highest level?, did the skater make the required number of edge changes in the spin to reach the highest level?, was the spin fast enough?, did the skater through the kitchen sink, the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, heck, the entire house into that footwork sequence?, on and on and on. . . . ;)

Most of these are the Tech Panel's job. Judges are only concerned with the quality/grade of execution, i.e. how well it's done, whetever is done.

museksk8r

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Clearly Gachinski is talented, but was overrated at Worlds 2011 because the event took place in Russia. I thought Leonova deserved bronze in ladies at Worlds 2011, more than Gachinski did in the men's event.

I can't think of what other man deserved that bronze medal at Worlds last season though, if not him. All in all, it was not a well skated event in the men's discipline, aside from Chan and Kozuka. Gachinski got his job done and actually made me a fan with his Worlds effort last season. I'm saddened to see him making as many mistakes as he is this season.

seniorita

Record Breaker
The only skater who should be allowed to be in all the threads regardless of the subject is Michelle Kwan. The rest are just off topic.:biggrin:

I love Hanyu, quad fall and all he is wonderful to watch. I m looking forward to his Lp. ANd I hope somehow he goes to GPF. And Jeremy despite the music that I dont like much gave a performance equal of Daisuke in NHk, I really like him when he is on. I started to think Fernandez looks alike his coach a little, is it possible? I m bored of Michal sp, I used to like it a lot 2 gps ago, but it must be of those programs that are nice when new for me. And I m upset with no combo of Arthur, I dont know why he has the loop as the single jump, it looks weird to me.

Edit: Ok I read Imaginerypogue explanation and feel better :)

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
I agree with you that Jeremy is a more complete skater artistically than Patrick Chan, who should only beat Abbott on skating skills, but nothing else on the PCS scoring, IMO. I wish I could read the judges' minds; it would make understanding the scoring much easier. Thank goodness I have a protocol to look at; I wish the 6.0 system had used protocols. Perhaps once I'm able to leave work (gotta love federal jobs :rolleye:) and I've had the chance to actually watch Abbott's skate, maybe I can dissect his spins and footwork and see what the judges were missing there. The judges dissect so many things . . . did the skater hold each spin position for the required number of revolutions?, did the skater achieve a low enough sit spin position?, did the skater stay centered through the entire spin?, did the skater have the required number of position changes to achieve the highest level?, did the skater make the required number of edge changes in the spin to reach the highest level?, was the spin fast enough?, did the skater throw in the kitchen sink, the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, heck, the entire house into that footwork sequence?, and did they do all of this with speed, ease, flow, superior ice coverage?, and on and on and on. . . . ;)

Thanks for your response museksk8r! But wow, that is pretty d**n scary if I do say so myself re your explanation of what the tech panel is looking at :eek: Unbelievable! No kitchen sink needed for me to enjoy, analyze, and just appreciate Jeremy's superior level of talent. Number of spin revolutions is overrated. Centering spins is important, but how much more important than the overall performance with difficult transitions and choreographic depth, which IMHO, Jeremy has well over this entire field! You know, skating is just so messed up in the way it operates these days, I often question why I still watch (there are so many boring programs out there, especially among the ladies). I'm glad Janet Lynn spoke out recently about the problems she sees with IJS.

Great that you have a government job, museksk8r (several members of my family have also worked for the government). Count your blessings!

Art&Sport

Medalist
The only skater who should be allowed to be in all the threads regardless of the subject is Michelle Kwan. The rest are just off topic.:biggrin:

:laugh: No argument from me on that, seniorita!

Despite the fact in the minds of many, it seems PC has reached Kwan level -- shut my mouth!

Last edited:

Art&Sport

Medalist
Abbott: Okay, that was simply phenomenal. One comment: a strict technical panel will give him a fall deduction for that moment in the footwork. It’s really too much of a risk, as wonderful as it is. But why harp on the one minor negative aspect of this program? He sold it to high heavens and was simply magnificent throughout. Jeremy is not merely showing his mettle for a spot on the World team. He’s show his mettle for a spot on the World PODIUM.

Why, because he purposely puts his hand down? That is a risky move that's part of the choreo. If not careful, he could lose his balance. There is another gliding move some skaters do where they touch one hand to the ice and turn in a circle on one blade (can't remember the name of this move). Surely, the judges recognize this as part of the choreography. If that's the case, why should a "strict tech panel" view it as a mistake worthy of a deduction? And why do you consider it a negative aspect -- because it might look at first to some viewers like a mistake?

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Why, because he purposely puts his hand down? That is a risky move that's part of the choreo. If not careful, he could lose his balance. There is another gliding move some skaters do where they touch one hand to the ice and turn in a circle on one blade (can't remember the name of this move). Surely, the judges recognize this as part of the choreography. If that's the case, why should a "strict tech panel" view it as a mistake worthy of a deduction? And why do you consider it a negative aspect -- because it might look at first to some viewers like a mistake?

Yes. A fall is defined as something where the weight in transfered onto the hands (aka, anything other than the skating). There was a moment in the Junior Grand Prix where Sinitsina/Zhiganhsin had a minor minor minor flub where he touched the ice with his hand during an ending transition that you would barely notice but that received a fall deduction - it's the rules. Now, I think a fall deduction would be incorrect, but we've seen incorrect/disagreeable deductions before. I view it as negative because I was afraid he was gonna get a deduction and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get one in the future.