Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 153

Thread: Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST

  1. #106
    Custom Title snowflake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,410
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Jeremy's style, timing and command today were simply Browningesque. He made me like the swing music which is all but impossible.
    I have learned a long time ago that my favorites don't always use my favorite music. So swing is my thing now

    Pretty OK with the result, except I would switch Brezina and Fernandez.

    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Jeremy received three Level 3 elements on two of his spins and on the footwork sequence. Yuzuru achieved all Level 4s on his non-jump elements. Abbott will want to improve on this for future competitions, especially when he faces Takahashi, Chan, and Kozuka.
    So that's why? I wondered why Yusuru got three more points than Jeremy in tech? Y did a quad, but he didn't rotate it and he fell.

    Anyway, I really, really hope Jeremy will show tomorrow that he has reached a new level in his skating career.

  2. #107
    Custom Title demarinis5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Oh no, here we were having a wonderful Jeremy love-fest and now it's going to be another Chan-anti-Chan fight. Thanks a lot.

    I hope not.

  3. #108
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    I definitely don't see Hanyu receiving all level 4s on all his elements. If anything, Jeremy should have. Where and what do you think Jeremy is not doing that he needs to do museksk8r, if by chance you can read the judges' minds.
    I agree with you that Jeremy is a more complete skater artistically than Patrick Chan, who should only beat Abbott on skating skills, but nothing else on the PCS scoring, IMO. I wish I could read the judges' minds; it would make understanding the scoring much easier. Thank goodness I have a protocol to look at; I wish the 6.0 system had used protocols. Perhaps once I'm able to leave work (gotta love federal jobs ) and I've had the chance to actually watch Abbott's skate, maybe I can dissect his spins and footwork and see what the judges were missing there. The judges dissect so many things . . . did the skater hold each spin position for the required number of revolutions?, did the skater achieve a low enough sit spin position?, did the skater stay centered through the entire spin?, did the skater have the required number of position changes to achieve the highest level?, did the skater make the required number of edge changes in the spin to reach the highest level?, was the spin fast enough?, did the skater throw in the kitchen sink, the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, heck, the entire house into that footwork sequence?, and did they do all of this with speed, ease, flow, superior ice coverage?, and on and on and on. . . .
    Last edited by museksk8r; 11-25-2011 at 11:33 AM.

  4. #109
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    It's sad to see how much he is succumbing to the pressure this season. I guess with the world bronze medal comes more and bigger expectations from himself and from his federation.
    Clearly Gachinski is talented, but was overrated at Worlds 2011 because the event took place in Russia. I thought Leonova deserved bronze in ladies at Worlds 2011, more than Gachinski did in the men's event.

  5. #110
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Brezina: Eh, I’m starting to get bored of this program. As the B. Eurosport commentators mentioned, he doesn’t do much interpreting when he’s got the jumps, and his other elements weren’t up to par – the spins and footwork in particular. You could tell he was struggling with stamina.

    Hanyu: The speed he had going into the quad was sick, you could tell he wasn’t going to land it perfectly. There are moments of brilliance throughout this program, but it doesn’t quite work for me. Oh well, clearly a talented kid and tomorrow should be blazing.

    Abbott: Okay, that was simply phenomenal. One comment: a strict technical panel will give him a fall deduction for that moment in the footwork. It’s really too much of a risk, as wonderful as it is. But why harp on the one minor negative aspect of this program? He sold it to high heavens and was simply magnificent throughout. Jeremy is not merely showing his mettle for a spot on the World team. He’s show his mettle for a spot on the World PODIUM.

    Rogozine: Needs improvement, but I believe he will.

    Gachinski: That triple axel was ridiculous. The choreography is too Mishinesque, so kudos to the judges for ranking him (tied for) fourth there. I actually think his skating skills are very strong and would’ve had him a little higher.

    You know, Gachinski actually benefited from an interesting rule quirk: he didn’t do a combo and he fell, but because he fell on his combo listed element, he was only penalized once in terms of GOE. If he had listed his combo as the 3Lo+3T and skated as he did, he would’ve been penalized twice (which is what I thought was going to happen). In the end, it doesn’t affect rankings anyway (-3 on the loop would’ve brought him down to 72 and change)

    Fernandez: Was better at SC, but it’s clear that he’s now a top tier skater. He wasn’t quite there in his expression (you could see it in his face that there was a little hesitance in the movement). Love this program, though.

    More generally, the GPF is gonna be a barnburner.

  6. #111
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,351
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    The judges dissect so many things . . . did the skater hold each spin position for the required number of revolutions?, did the skater achieve a low enough sit spin position?, did the skater stay centered through the entire spin?, did the skater have the required number of position changes to achieve the highest level?, did the skater make the required number of edge changes in the spin to reach the highest level?, was the spin fast enough?, did the skater through the kitchen sink, the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, heck, the entire house into that footwork sequence?, on and on and on. . . .
    Most of these are the Tech Panel's job. Judges are only concerned with the quality/grade of execution, i.e. how well it's done, whetever is done.

  7. #112
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Clearly Gachinski is talented, but was overrated at Worlds 2011 because the event took place in Russia. I thought Leonova deserved bronze in ladies at Worlds 2011, more than Gachinski did in the men's event.
    I can't think of what other man deserved that bronze medal at Worlds last season though, if not him. All in all, it was not a well skated event in the men's discipline, aside from Chan and Kozuka. Gachinski got his job done and actually made me a fan with his Worlds effort last season. I'm saddened to see him making as many mistakes as he is this season.

  8. #113
    "Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Storybrooke, Maine
    Posts
    3,674
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Most of these are the Tech Panel's job. Judges are only concerned with the quality/grade of execution, i.e. how well it's done, whetever is done.
    True. Pardon my wording; blame it on a Thanksgiving hangover.

  9. #114
    leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,580
    The only skater who should be allowed to be in all the threads regardless of the subject is Michelle Kwan. The rest are just off topic.

    I love Hanyu, quad fall and all he is wonderful to watch. I m looking forward to his Lp. ANd I hope somehow he goes to GPF. And Jeremy despite the music that I dont like much gave a performance equal of Daisuke in NHk, I really like him when he is on. I started to think Fernandez looks alike his coach a little, is it possible? I m bored of Michal sp, I used to like it a lot 2 gps ago, but it must be of those programs that are nice when new for me. And I m upset with no combo of Arthur, I dont know why he has the loop as the single jump, it looks weird to me.

    Edit: Ok I read Imaginerypogue explanation and feel better
    Last edited by seniorita; 11-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.

  10. #115
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I agree with you that Jeremy is a more complete skater artistically than Patrick Chan, who should only beat Abbott on skating skills, but nothing else on the PCS scoring, IMO. I wish I could read the judges' minds; it would make understanding the scoring much easier. Thank goodness I have a protocol to look at; I wish the 6.0 system had used protocols. Perhaps once I'm able to leave work (gotta love federal jobs ) and I've had the chance to actually watch Abbott's skate, maybe I can dissect his spins and footwork and see what the judges were missing there. The judges dissect so many things . . . did the skater hold each spin position for the required number of revolutions?, did the skater achieve a low enough sit spin position?, did the skater stay centered through the entire spin?, did the skater have the required number of position changes to achieve the highest level?, did the skater make the required number of edge changes in the spin to reach the highest level?, was the spin fast enough?, did the skater throw in the kitchen sink, the kitchen, the living room, the bathroom, the bedroom, heck, the entire house into that footwork sequence?, and did they do all of this with speed, ease, flow, superior ice coverage?, and on and on and on. . . .
    Thanks for your response museksk8r! But wow, that is pretty d**n scary if I do say so myself re your explanation of what the tech panel is looking at Unbelievable! No kitchen sink needed for me to enjoy, analyze, and just appreciate Jeremy's superior level of talent. Number of spin revolutions is overrated. Centering spins is important, but how much more important than the overall performance with difficult transitions and choreographic depth, which IMHO, Jeremy has well over this entire field! You know, skating is just so messed up in the way it operates these days, I often question why I still watch (there are so many boring programs out there, especially among the ladies). I'm glad Janet Lynn spoke out recently about the problems she sees with IJS.

    Great that you have a government job, museksk8r (several members of my family have also worked for the government). Count your blessings!

  11. #116
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    The only skater who should be allowed to be in all the threads regardless of the subject is Michelle Kwan. The rest are just off topic.

    ...
    No argument from me on that, seniorita!

    Despite the fact in the minds of many, it seems PC has reached Kwan level -- shut my mouth!
    Last edited by Art&Sport; 11-25-2011 at 11:48 AM.

  12. #117
    Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    4,880
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I started to think Fernandez looks alike his coach a little, is it possible?
    LOL, I was thinking the same thing!

  13. #118
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    989
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaginaryPogue View Post
    ...
    Abbott: Okay, that was simply phenomenal. One comment: a strict technical panel will give him a fall deduction for that moment in the footwork. It’s really too much of a risk, as wonderful as it is. But why harp on the one minor negative aspect of this program? He sold it to high heavens and was simply magnificent throughout. Jeremy is not merely showing his mettle for a spot on the World team. He’s show his mettle for a spot on the World PODIUM.
    ...
    Why, because he purposely puts his hand down? That is a risky move that's part of the choreo. If not careful, he could lose his balance. There is another gliding move some skaters do where they touch one hand to the ice and turn in a circle on one blade (can't remember the name of this move). Surely, the judges recognize this as part of the choreography. If that's the case, why should a "strict tech panel" view it as a mistake worthy of a deduction? And why do you consider it a negative aspect -- because it might look at first to some viewers like a mistake?

  14. #119
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    5,609
    Quote Originally Posted by Art&Sport View Post
    Why, because he purposely puts his hand down? That is a risky move that's part of the choreo. If not careful, he could lose his balance. There is another gliding move some skaters do where they touch one hand to the ice and turn in a circle on one blade (can't remember the name of this move). Surely, the judges recognize this as part of the choreography. If that's the case, why should a "strict tech panel" view it as a mistake worthy of a deduction? And why do you consider it a negative aspect -- because it might look at first to some viewers like a mistake?
    Yes. A fall is defined as something where the weight in transfered onto the hands (aka, anything other than the skating). There was a moment in the Junior Grand Prix where Sinitsina/Zhiganhsin had a minor minor minor flub where he touched the ice with his hand during an ending transition that you would barely notice but that received a fall deduction - it's the rules. Now, I think a fall deduction would be incorrect, but we've seen incorrect/disagreeable deductions before. I view it as negative because I was afraid he was gonna get a deduction and it wouldn't surprise me to see him get one in the future.

  15. #120
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,235
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    Chan-anti-Chan fight.
    The famous saying of Chan's fight against the current World champion?

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •