Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Mens SP, Friday, 11/25/11, 9:45AM EST

Custom Title
    Chan has received a couple of fall deductions this season when he technically stayed on his skates. When the weight of the body is transferred to the hand(s), it's counted as a fall.

Custom Title
    A clean Brezina over a clean Jeremy even without a quad should never be possible imo. The thought wouldn't enter my mind.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    A clean Brezina over a clean Jeremy even without a quad should never be possible imo. The thought wouldn't enter my mind.
    It may be so if someone got their wish of COP highly increasing quad BV, rewarding zero for a fall, and greatly reducing the weighting of PCS. As I said, Chan wouldn't be the one to pay the price, and it would be a big shame because the high PCS skaters are the ones bringing us the most watchable and memorable programs.

Custom Title
    Gachinski with his lowest of the second group PCS in a GP event in Russia is so bad! Hanyu fell and Fernandez doubled a jump and Brezina was slow and all ahead of him. Not a lot of good that world bronze. Seen as a fluke by all the judges because of errors Oda made and stuff.

Hanyu seems to be most impressive because of his all level 4 non-jump elements.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by gmyers View Post
    Hanyu fell and Fernandez doubled a jump and Brezina was slow and all ahead of him.
    Hanyu fell? Why didn't he receive a deduction? I haven't watched men's yet.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    I think it may be inconsistency with the hand on the ice rule like on of the posters mentioned before. If you saw his SP, he was still on his feet but used his hands to keep himself up.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skatinginbc View Post
    He almost fell and got huge -GOEs.

Custom Title
    sorry two hands down

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by wallylutz View Post
    Fernandez beats Hanyu on PCS.
    What? That is not right.

Custom Title
    Finally watched the men's. I would say Brezina was overmarked in his PCS. Fernandez seemed to be thinking through the program although I liked the clarity of his skating. Hanyu deserved a higher PCS in comparison to Brezina's. Jeremy Abbott was wonderful. It was an easy piece of music to skate to but a hard one to excel. And he did an outstanding job with that. I would have given him even higher PCS if I were a judge.

Edgy Details
    What a thrilling battle of suspenders
    Jeremy moves soooo smoothly that I melt when I watch him. It is a pure joy and emotions. Marvellous! And I even dont like that music! I love his LP piece though, so if he skates it clean, it will be even more spectacular.

Fernandez not only skates better this season, but also looks more mature and masculine. Under Morozov he looked childlish.

Hanyu impressed me too. His 3A comes out of nowhere!!!

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    1. Jeremy Abbott - Much better than at Cup of China. There were more little details in the choreography, more confidence and snap in the presentation, and rock solid jumps. I still don't think all of the suspender action is as well utilized as it could be (and the centering on the flying upright spin needs a bit of work) but this program is working very well for him now.

2. Yuzuru Hanyu - He was correctly judged to be only slightly behind Abbott. I love his passion, his attention to the music, his fluidity, his quickness, and his flexibility. Almost falling on the opening jump did take a little bit of steam out of the performance as a whole but it wasn't a huge mistake in the scope of this competition since it was a solo fully-rotated Quad that the mistake was on. He is worthy of being World Champion.

3. Javier Fernandez - He didn't have the same confidence as at Skate Canada but this was still a commendable performance. The flying upright spin was much improved and actually underscored by the judges.

4. Michal Brezina - A pretty clean but rather tentative performance. There was a bit of a mistake in the footwork sequence and the flying Camel got awkward (deserved -GOE for sure). He needs to get more spark in his skating. Definitely a very good skater, but even in his best performances of this SP it feels like he isn't "on" for 100% of the performance. This becomes an even bigger problem in his Long Programs.

5. Artur Gachinski - Best Triple Axel of the competition. Too bad about the big mistake on the Quad combination. He isn't completely refined yet but he does have attack and very strong edges. There is some personal style there too; he may be reminiscent of Plushenko but there are definitely differences and I think Gachinski does bring his own unique touches into his skating.

6. Andrei Rogozine - Has plenty to work on but is definitely heading in the right direction.

7. Brandon Mroz - He hasn't grown as a performer at all. He's actually regressed since his initial breakthrough at 2009 Nationals. I like this music for him but he doesn't seem to understand it or have enough personal urge to perform with inspiration. His arms are also constantly out of place. In terms of everything else, the spins are okay but his basic skating is far behind the rest of the field.

8. Andrei Lutai - Blah.

9. Konstantin Menshov - Ugh.

Jeremy was scintillating!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Blades of Passion View Post

8. Andrei Lutai - Blah.
    pssst... BoP, Andrei Lutai wasn't at this competition, he is still being suspended by Russian Fed for the drunk & driving / stealing incident in the United States. Did you see a phantom that we didn't see?

Skating is art, if you let it be. Blades of Passion's Avatar
    Oh, LOL, oops. Sergei Voronov. Those 2007-2009 era Russians blend together in my memory.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast