What happened to Kostner's 3-3? | Golden Skate

What happened to Kostner's 3-3?

Jasper

Final Flight
Looking back at Kostner programs of old, she used to have a solid Triple Flip-Triple Toe combination. It was less consistent in long programs but she practically owned it in her shorts, even from an early age (i.e. at 17 at 2004 Worlds). Not only did she have one, but it was huge and her speed out of it was insane. Never any doubt about completion of rotation.

But over the last several seasons - about since she snuck in a silver medal at the '08 Worlds - she has moved away from even attempting her previously rock-solid combination. Any thoughts on this? Does anyone know what has caused Kostner to lose this jumping pass - a huge point-getter?

Below are examples of her 3-3s at her best, even a 3-3-2 in a LP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mHrWWWdp-g (Worlds SP 2005)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkV2Za9nws (Worlds LP 2005)

prettykeys

Medalist
I would like to know this too, since I am not very knowledgeable about Carolina's history but definitely have missed seeing her 3-3 (especially 3F-3T). It is magnificent.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Carolina has been recovering from injury/surgery and has been under doctor’s restrictions as to her jumps. On CBC Lori Nichol said that Carolina will be increasing the difficulty of her jumps as she received clearance from her doctor to attempt more challenging jumps.

prettykeys

Medalist
Thanks, that's really good to hear. Carolina did a 3T-3T in her recent GP competition, so that's encouraging.

figureskate

On the Ice
she has shown how solid is her 3toe 3toe combo, nailing it anytime in sp so far this season. i miss so much her 3flip 3toe combos, that was so huge, because the flip is overall her best jump. I thik we will see some of those in lp as she was planned to do that in coc and teb, but in both competition she had problems with the flip, so she couldn't go for the toe jump. Can't wait the time she will land it back

Nadine

Record Breaker
I too am wondering what happened to Carolina's gorgeous 3/3s from the past, and am hoping she regains them in the future! :cool:

Btw, when Carolina first hit the senior scene ages ago I classified her the same way that Oksana Baiul was classified by I think Sandra Bezic? It's in one of those skating books I own, too lazy to look for it, but it went something to the effect that Oksana was that rare glittering diamond, and that's exactly how I saw Carolina upon first viewing. Since then though it's dimmed, like this year, but underneath it's still there. :)

Tanja90

On the Ice
She is constantly training the 3F3T. AFAIK she planned it in her long at the CoC and TEB but she didn't land the flip properly and couldn't do it in those occasions...but for what I heard she landed successfully more than once in training at TEB and also in the warm-up in both events. I think we'll see it in short times and I can't wait. It's such a difficult combo and she is a master on that. I'm happy and relieved to hear that she still has it!
The injury really put her down her jump content last year but I think it's a good idea to slow down early in the season and increasing the content as the season goes on and seeing that she's been able to get 119 points with just two sal, one toe and one loop she may get a huge scores if she land that combo!

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hey, at CoR, Kiira Korpi got 105 points for a program with two triple loops and all the rest doubles.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Why does she even need to train 3+3 ? These days, you can win world championships by landing 3s, 3t, and 3loop plus PCS. At 1996 worlds, Lu chen landed 7 clean triples including all 5 different triples but still lost to Kwan. I guess Chen was not artistic enough according to IJS defenders?
If this is not regression, I don't know what is.

skateflower

Match Penalty
Who won worlds with that jump content?

I said 'you can'. Kostner is obviously the gold medal contender for 2012 worlds based on the scores she's received so far. Her jump content this season is 3t, 3s, 3loop. She routinely scored 115-120 pts with this kind of jump layout

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
Well, one could win worlds with that jump content then, by definition, if everyone who has more is inadequate. Now, given that the world champion last year cracked 130 in the FS, I'd presume she'd need more than just that to win.

jiggs

On the Ice
Her jump content this season is 3t, 3s, 3loop. She routinely scored 115-120 pts with this kind of jump layout

That's not true. She also includes the 3f and successfully landed beautiful ones at Skate America and Cup of China. She planned to do 3f3t at TEB and landed it successfully in practice and warm-up but unfortunately messed up her 3f in the free skate. Also, as some people tend to forget here, she consistently landed 3t3t in all her SPs this year. Some of you make it sound as if she receives these scores for nothing but if you actually bothered to look at her programs, there is a lot of content there.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I said 'you can'. Kostner is obviously the gold medal contender for 2012 worlds based on the scores she's received so far. Her jump content this season is 3t, 3s, 3loop. She routinely scored 115-120 pts with this kind of jump layout

She also has a 3F. She did land it at Skate America and at CoC. Also, it's not like she's only doing those jumps alone. She is also doing a 2A-3T, which gets her extra points. Point is PCS is helping her, for sure, but she also has a smart jump layout.