Shizuka Arakawa | Golden Skate

Shizuka Arakawa

Johar

Medalist
With just a little more polish to her programs I think she could easily medal at the Winter Olympics.

Last year was the first time I saw her, when she skated to a medly of "Titanic" music. Her performance brought tears to my eyes.

Who else likes her?

eliza88

On the Ice
I am an Arakawa fan! She is a lovely skater--a little more stretch here and there, a little more polish/finishing touches and she will be a top o' the podium threat for any competition she is in.

Johar

Medalist
I want her to medal so badly, too. Beautiful name, too. Her jumps seem so steady out on the ice.

mzheng

Record Breaker
Add me as the one when I saw her last year's Titanic. I really like her deep long smooth edges from her last year. And I saw her improvement on her jump technique this year. She has the full package. I was so angry last year she was under marked. She should get at leaset the same SS if not higher SS as Sasha. Judge still hold her down.

SK8GR8

Rinkside
Shizuka is a gorgeous skater, beautiful positions and it looks like she floats when jumping.

Does anyone know the artist/source of her SP music skated at the GP final? It was listed as The Umbrellas of Cherbourg but definitely was not (she did use this piece for her exhibition). It sounded like a techno version of Swan Lake and was really cool! Any ideas????

miki_tan

Rinkside
SK8GR8 said:
Does anyone know the artist/source of her SP music skated at the GP final? It was listed as The Umbrellas of Cherbourg but definitely was not (she did use this piece for her exhibition). It sounded like a techno version of Swan Lake and was really cool! Any ideas????

Kryzler & Kompany

Shizuka kind of disappeared for a while prior to the '02/03 season, but when she came back I was like, "WOWEE!" I love this girl. Edges to DIE for. I know a lot of people didn't like her techno "Swan Lake" SP but I thought it was just about the best SP of last season, second to Michelle's "The Feeling Begins," and about tied with Sasha's "Malaguena."

My only problem with her before was the rushing on the spiral sequence and not hitting clear strong positiosns in her combo spins. But after her three GP events, either Callaghan or Callaghan and choreographer changed her spiral sequnce and got her to take her time with her beautiful positions, plus added new positions. Her combo spins are also 100% better. Whether the changes were inspired by the COP or not, I was thrilled to see them at IFSC. Her edges, flow, and speed not only has me in love, but also her overall way of moving plus her sense of humor. You tend to see her sense of humor in the K&C (once she pretended to take a bite out of a stuffed animal--my kind of gal) but I'd love to see it in one of her programs, even an exhibition program. Shizuka's been aroud a long time and it's wonderful to see her make such a big improvement in the last two seasons. Also, IMO, Shizuka has the most beautiful LP costume this season. I love the cut of it. Interesting and unusual, and extremely flattering. Do it Shizuka!
Rgirl

Last edited:

mzheng

Record Breaker
Yeah, last year it was my first time saw her skating, had I saw her before I couldn't remember cuz she did not raise my attention before last season, wow I love her skating right way. But Last year some of her jumps looks wiered especially the 3/3s. And somve of her movements are not held long enough.

This year she really improved a lot. Actually I thought she should've won that ABC Intl Chalange, but since it was Michellle, my automate favorate win I'm not going to cry wuz robbered for her.:p. But on other side I had hoped Arakawa won, cuz I also want the skating god save the big win for my Michelle at Nats and Worlds.

You go Arakawa on to the world podium!!!!!!

ETA, remove the spoiler.

Ogre Mage

On the Ice
Last year I really saw her for the first time and thought she had potential, but put her in the "wait and see" category. But this year I am rapidly becoming a fan. She is developing an elegant style and good choreography. As others have mentioned her edges are second to none. She's also a strong jumper with a true lutz and good carriage, stroking and speed across the ice. She also is becoming reasonably consistent, which is very important.

Areas where she could use some work include her spins, which generally tend to be weak and her spiral position above the skate. As is true of many developing skaters, some of the moves in her programs seem "throw-away." Once she gets to the point where everything is polished, a la Sasha and Michelle, she will be a huge force to be reckoned with. Her basics are astonishingly good.

Nadine

Record Breaker
My $.00 worth.... ;)

I noticed Shizuka Arakawa the first time I ever saw her skate at 2001 Skate America........where she placed a respectable 4th place.......but what really drew my attention to her was the fact that she immediately reminded me of one of my all-time favorites, Sarah Hughes (using the same music, Turandot, that Sarah had used the previous season). She was tall, elegant, lithe, flexible, able to do 3/3s (did one there & also a 3/3/2 later on at 2002 4CC), gorgeous Ina Bauer that covered the entire ice, flexible & elegant spins, smooth like buttah, and knees that were not knockneed. She was so good that I thought if she maintains her consistency while improving overall little-by-little, keeps landing 6/7 triple programs w/one triple-triple or possibly two, then she'll (hopefully) get recognition from the judges and possibly end up winning big someday. Though I didn't think it would be that season, it was easy to tell this gal was going places baby. :)^D

To me, Shizuka is a combination of her countrywomen Yoshie & Fumie.......the best type IMHO......a powerful combination of athleticism & artistry/presentation. Proving that one doesn't have to be one or the other ~ i.e. either a ballerina or a fullback ~ no, she is proof that ONE can have it all. Which is refreshing to see IMHO - get so tired of reading on the internet those that say jumps are hurting the sport (yada, yada) - and basically underestimating & pigeon-holing female skaters by saying things like "Oh, I'm so glad that COP is here b/c it'll limit the jumping beans & bring back footwork, spins, spirals, etc." Please, I say that it doesn't have to be black or white, rather it can be both. Just as Sarah Hughes proved at the 2002 Olympics ~ beautiful spins, elegant spirals, intricate footwork, nice flowing edges, difficult jumps & 3/3s, above average speed, interesting choreography, lyrical mature performance. That said, I'm still waiting for that unicorn, I know she's out there - maybe not this year, maybe not next, but one day (possibly in 10 or 50 yrs. from now) - the ONE that will be born that is a combination of Oksana Baiul's magical artistry & Midori Ito's equally magical athleticism. A needle in a haystack for me, but I'll be waiting. (;^)

Peace & Love, Nadine

P.S. Btw, Shizuka is still the only one amongst Yoshie & Fumie that has landed a 3/3 in competition (fairly regularly at that), though Yoshie has come close w/her 3T-3T sequence & Fumie w/her occasional 3Z/3T in practice. Also, Shizuka has landed 7 triples in competition before, never has Fumie, but possibly Yoshie though I don't think so.

:love:GOOOOOO ALL UNDERDOGS!!!:love:

diver chick

On the Ice
I first noticed Shizuka when she was about 12 and skated to ice castles in an Obersdorf gala. She was such a cutie but I never managed to see her again until Lalique a couple of years ago where I was amazed by how much she had matured. She was absolutely fabulous live and the costume she wore really helped but her lines were fabulous, she looked about ten feet tall on the ice.

Basically I love her skating!

Z

Zhenya's Girl

Rgirl! Don't say how Shizuka did at the GPF!!! :mad: Doesn't anyone pay attention to the "No spoilers" rule anymore? :confused:

Cynthia

SK8GR8

Rinkside
SP Music

miki_tan said:
Kryzler & Kompany

Do you have any other info, like what album it is on? When I search Amazon, they don't list the track names of any of the Kryzler and Kompany albums, much less have a sample to listen to. Thanks for any help!:)

Thanks for the information, Miki Tan. Your posts about Japanese skaters are always full of interesting information.

Johar, thanks for starting this thread and welcome to the Forum!

Mathman

Johar

Medalist
You're welcome. It's nice to know there are so many Arakawa fans on here. And thank you for the welcome.

Mzheng & Zhenya's Girl,
Thanks for the heads up on my spoiler faux paux. Edited it out ASAP. Sorry if I spoiled anything for anyone.
Rgirl