Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Ladies LP, 11/26/11 at 5AM EST

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by koatcue View Post
    So bad..I wanted Adelina to go into the GPF instead of Alena..((But I guess it's right.She isn't ready mentally to go there..
    I'm with cha.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    wow indeed. she did get a level 1 on her final spiral sequence....I thought that was just for choreography???
    The spiral sequence is judged the same way as the second step sequence for the men: everyone gets level 1, and the the GOE differentiates the skaters. Mao, as far as I can tell, had the second highest GOE on this element behind Sotnikova.

I'd love to see more elements judged this way; maybe it'll rid us of some of the uglier features of CoP, such as the catch foot anything.

Custom Title
    After watching adelina's program i really can see the crowd liking her, she might become the little darling of russia figure skating

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinymavy15 View Post
    wow indeed. she did get a level 1 on her final spiral sequence....I thought that was just for choreography???
    There are no levels on the spiral in the LP. 1 means she did one spiral position (as opposed to 2, as I understand it).

Custom Title
    I'm soo proud of Mao because in the past Mao's level of performance would have dropped after making one mistake but she stayed with it and it was still a beautiful performance without the jumps.

I was giggling a lil at how silent the crowd was when Mao won. I'm was thinking oh I guess they didn't know that Mao is so good in every other aspect of her skating that she doesn't need 6 jumps to beat certain skaters.

Custom Title
    Polish commentators keep telling that a spiral sequence counts towards program components. I don't how they came up with this. Spirals count for transitions but choreographed spiral sequence does not as far as I'm concerned. It's a technical element, just as jumps and spins, it just doesn't have a level of difficulty, only GOE.
    And I love Mao's long arabesqe spiral at the end of her program even if it doesn't have a lot of speed. It's really a beautiful move with her extention and I like the fact she holds it for a long time.

Custom Title
    I love both Mao and Adelina. I think they were the 2 best skaters in general at this competition but if I were Adelina I would skate the long program from last year. It was a better program anyway. Mao's program to the same music is constructed so much better and it highlights all the nuances of the music better.

Quote Originally Posted by sorcerer View Post
    Rachael was severely underscored and Kiira overscored.

ETA: No I should say everyone was overscored except Rachael.
    Kiira was definitely overscored. Did I miss something, or did she only do two triples? Her ahead of Lacoste was totally wrong, even with the lead from the SP.

OTOH, I think Rachael was scored correctly. She didn't make any glaring mistakes, but she skated really slowly and sluggishly for her.

Custom Title
    Anyone have a link for Rachel and Christina Gao?
    Last edited by lavender; 11-26-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Banned
    Rachael was not underscored. She did only 3 triples and she looked so slow and bored as if she were barely doing a practice runthrough. She really needs to retire already and the judges are concurring with that.

Leonova had a golden chance to win but blew it with a series of stupid mistakes all in a row towards the end. She doesnt seem to have the mental toughness she had when she was a junior skater.

On the Ice
    Are Mao's skating skills so great that people will overlook the flubbed jumps? Wouldn't any other skater get raked over the coals for winning with a similar program?

Of course, I'm sort of playing the devil's advocate here. I do think her skating skills are that good and I realize people do love a good comeback story.

Rooting for the divas with Kwanford Spun Silver's Avatar
    I would say rather is Mao's skating so important that people will overlook the obvious eating disorder? The woman needs medical and psychological help. No doubt I'm breaking some rule but how can it be wrong to plead for a skater's health? She is a shadow of her old self, both technically and weight-wise.

This was a depressing event, between wraith-like Mao, embarrassingly out-of-shape Rachael, and jump problems as far as the eye can see. Alena is a charming young woman (it was cute to see her and Morozov burst out laughing when they met as she exited the ice), but I can't believe she's one of the top ladies in the world right now. The Russians seem to be trying desperately to figure out how to package her. While her SP wore out its welcome (for me) by the second viewing, it's more suited to her happy, outgoing personality than the effort to glamorize her in the FS. Sotnikova was a bit of a letdown too -- not so much because of the jump issues as her posture and arms. Her back seems rather stiff (and her costume seemed to encase her in metal). IMO Agnes needs a makeover. She's a big, strong girl but that doesn't mean she has to look hard or get pigeonholed as a jazz/Broadway type. Let her get a softer look and skate to a Brahms rhapsody (for example). I know, that and a set of solid jumps will buy her a token to Worlds.

Sofia ... snooze. Christina.... I sure hope she can get past this rocky transition to seniors because she's a beautiful skater and this Libertango FS could be exciting. Haruka was the most fun to watch today but it's not like she was dazzling - she even fell off an edge in a spin.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Spun Silver View Post
    I would say rather is Mao's skating so important that people will overlook the obvious eating disorder? The woman needs medical and psychological help. No doubt I'm breaking some rule but how can it be wrong to plead for a skater's health? She is a shadow of her old self, both technically and weight-wise.
    I am glad that Mao won, but I agree with your concern for Mao.

what I heard is that Mao lost weight after that catastrophic earth quake ,since she could not eat due to trauma that she felt.
    And then she as well as her coach decided to maintain her weight at this level. Mao herself said," It is so easy for me to move."

I do not know. Yes, Mao has beautiful soft/ light skating, but to me after she lost weight, it sometimes looks frail and fragile, rather than "light and soft"
    I miss her old Mao with power of skating as well as lightness.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lavender View Post
    Anyone have a link for Rachel and Christina Gao?
    RiservaIsuGP on Youtube has them all.

I share the concern about Mao's health, I wish she would put just a little more weight on....

I love her skating though, and she looked so happy, especially in that last spiral, which is heavenly. Great way to end the program.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast