Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pairs LP, Saturday 11/26/11, 6:45AM EST

Custom Title
    I am so glad that S/S skated without any major mistakes, they have such a great program. It is a great pleasure to watch them skate.
    I also admired K/S.
    And because S/S and K/S have such a different programs it is hard to say which is better. It's like comparing apples and oranges, both are tasty and both are sweet and one can not say which is more delicious.

Custom Title
    Yay for S/S. Their program is so difficult and creative.

In the void
    Now S&S skated 3 times at a grand prix event. Can someone enlighten me how the scoring regarding the finals is? Are the two best results taken? Or did they have to choose in advance or is there even another rule about it? I have not much insight to the scoring rules concerning the grand prix....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by tdnuva View Post
    Now S&S skated 3 times at a grand prix event. Can someone enlighten me how the scoring regarding the finals is? Are the two best results taken? Or did they have to choose in advance or is there even another rule about it? I have not much insight to the scoring rules concerning the grand prix....
    tdnuva, it's the former. The two best scores are taken and used to determine ranking at the GPF. The skaters that choose three events DO NOT have to select which ones count in advance. And lucky, too, as I suspect at least two skaters would've selected against their advantage.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadine View Post
    Her form is too sloppy & unfinished for my taste. They remind me of circus performers.

I will always prefer style & substance over flash & dash. Classic over modern. Old school versus new school.

Jmho.

ps: I love K&S's 2A/2A combo. sequence, solid, and lovely.

I find this an extremely interesting post when it's not Yuko but Aliona who's got more of the classical Russian training. Aliona has better posture and positions, and actually points her toes unlike Yuko. Aside from that, as a team, S/S definitely have better flow and speed. S/S program is anything but just flash - it's got lots of difficult transitions, musicality, originality and a lot of hard content. Yes, it's modern, but modern does not equal lack of substance. You are entitled to your own taste, but saying that S/S's program is just flash is just flat out wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I find this an extremely interesting post when it's not Yuko but Aliona who's got more of the classical Russian training. Aliona has better posture and positions, and actually points her toes unlike Yuko. Aside from that, as a team, S/S definitely have better flow and speed. S/S program is anything but just flash - it's got lots of difficult transitions, musicality, originality and a lot of hard content. Yes, it's modern, but modern does not equal lack of substance. You are entitled to your own taste, but saying that S/S's program is just flash is just flat out wrong.
    I would definitely not say that Savchenko has classical Russian training. That is anything but beautiful Russian skating. Though Kavaguti doesn't have it either, I find it a lot more pleasing to look at Kavaguti than Savchenko. Also, transitions and choreography are not what defines classical Russian skating. If you are a truly beautiful Russian skater, you can skate to crappy music and choreography and still look pleasing to the eye. Though the Germans do very difficult things, I find nothing pretty in their skating- ugly death spirals, spins, and lifts all to rack up extra points.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    I would definitely not say that Savchenko has classical Russian training. That is anything but beautiful Russian skating. Though Kavaguti doesn't have it either, I find it a lot more pleasing to look at Kavaguti than Savchenko. Also, transitions and choreography are not what defines classical Russian skating. If you are a truly beautiful Russian skater, you can skate to crappy music and choreography and still look pleasing to the eye. Though the Germans do very difficult things, I find nothing pretty in their skating- ugly death spirals, spins, and lifts all to rack up extra points.
    I wouldn't call either Yuko or Aliona particuarly classic. Aliona is definitely more athletic. But good line & posture & extension are things associated with Russian training, and Aliona definitely has those things over Yuko. K/S had a lovely skate & a great program, but Yuko's lines are quite broken and positions are ugly.

I wouldn't call either Yuko or Aliona particuarly classic. Aliona is definitely more athletic. But good line & posture & extension are things associated with Russian training, and Aliona definitely has those things over Yuko. K/S had a lovely skate & a great program, but Yuko's lines are quite broken and positions are ugly.
    Maybe Kavaguti's awkwardness has something to do with the fact that she is just extremely skinny and tiny. But while I agree that Savchenko has better posture and extensions, I find most of her positions uglier than Kavaguti's.

And don't think that I absolutely love K/S over S/S. I'm kind of neutral about them because there are many things that I don't like about both of them. My favorite over all though is V/T because her lines, posture, and everything else are just amazing- better than Savchenko's. But that's just my opinion.
    Last edited by DianaSelene; 11-26-2011 at 08:19 PM.

Custom Title
    I'm an S/S uber, in my dream they and V/T share the gold in Sochi :D But if I have to pick, I'll pick S/S every time.

I'm not a fan of K/S, mostly because of her. I don't find her skating appealing at all. And I don't think her bieng small and skinny have to do with her ugly lines and poor positions as many thin, tiny skaters (Sasha, for one :D) hit beautiful positions.

Tripping on the Podium

"Hold an edge and look sexy!" museksk8r's Avatar
    Savchenko/Szolkowy and Kavaguti/Smirnov were both so divine! Aliona and Robin have my favorite pairs program of the season with that exquisite LP. So beautiful and innovative!

Custom Title
    Savchenko's positions are gross most of the time. I don't find S/S appealing at all. Costumes are usually cheap. Remember her outfit in the short program in the last grand prix. They don't look polished at all. Oh well, different stroke for different stroke victim.

Quote Originally Posted by FlattFan View Post
    Savchenko's positions are gross most of the time. I don't find S/S appealing at all. Costumes are usually cheap. Remember her outfit in the short program in the last grand prix. They don't look polished at all. Oh well, different stroke for different stroke victim.
    Finally someone agrees with me!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Savchenko/Szolkowy and Kavaguti/Smirnov were both so divine! Aliona and Robin have my favorite pairs program of the season with that exquisite LP. So beautiful and innovative!
    I agree....for me, it's the program of the season. It will be a huge loss for pairs skating when S/S retire. I can't think of a pair more creative than them. I wish other skaters were as original.

Custom Title
    I agree....for me, it's the program of the season. It will be a huge loss for pairs skating when S/S retire. I can't think of a pair more creative than them. I wish other skaters were as original.
    Me 3! Their LP is gorgeous and I'm glad it's been reworded properly in Russia. I love their lift dismounts, how it adds to the choreography, it looks very smooth. When they are on, they are unbeatable
    K/S's Lp is just as gorgeous and it hate to see them being pushed down as Russia nr.2. 132 for a beautiful program, with the only glitch being a bad landing on a throw when V/T got 130 for a program in which they singled their twist(major mistake) and a double footed landing on a throw, with an inferior choreography, is simply wrong. I would love to see them regaining their national title!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast