skate sharpening info request | Golden Skate

skate sharpening info request

celia

Rinkside
Hello,

I'm an adult skater in the new york city area looking to get back into skating. My skates desperately need a new sharpening. Can anyone recommend a reputable skate sharpener in the nyc or westchester area? I don't want to just walk into the nearest pro shop and I don't have a coach to ask.

Thanks!

icedust

Rinkside
Ask at the ice rink you currently train at. Usually other skaters on practice ice, especially parents of the younger skaters, will know who the go-to person is in terms of all things boot. If you are anxious about getting them done for the first time by someone you don't know, make sure to ask for a shallow grind in order to see whether they are competent enough to be trusted with the real job next time round. Sure, you'll get less life out of that grind, but you will have avoided a possibly disastrous situation of having your blades hacked down unevenly, ultimately causing premature blade buying.

If no-one seems to have decent information don't be afraid to approach a coach who you don't currently hire. They are usually happy to offer local advice as long as you don't take up 15mins of their time asking for a simple piece of information, as like any business person, they see it as an advertisement for themselves.

Good luck in finding what you need!

---

FigureSkating-HowTo: A Figure Skating Guide For Newcomers To Skating