The Tackiest Idea Ever ; panties for Patrick | Page 2 | Golden Skate

The Tackiest Idea Ever ; panties for Patrick

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
he's a "rockstar" in the sport in his homecountry... that's what groupies do at rock concerts/shows/interviews/etc... so what's the diff... *yawn* the more attention you give them (negative is better than none) the more power you're giving them to go through with it...

I've thrown toys on the ice... I missed once and whacked a judge... pretty sure that's why my guy didn't make the podium :laugh:

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
Here's the problem:

PJ Kwong never felt "cool" or "popular" growing up and didn't feel that way more most of her adult life either. She is now in a position that makes her feel popular and she is trying as hard as she can to be "cool", even though she is not in the least.

She is taking something that was cool and funny at first, panties being thrown out to a skater, and trying to make it into a thing. Not only trying to make into a thing, but doing it in the most un-cool way possible. Ziploc bags and tongs? :laugh: :rolleye: :disapp: indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENNA0cBHm8

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Here's the problem:

PJ Kwong never felt "cool" or "popular" growing up and didn't feel that way more most of her adult life either. She is now in a position that makes her feel popular and she is trying as hard as she can to be "cool", even though she is not in the least.

Now you're a shrink????

seniorita

Record Breaker
he's a "rockstar" in the sport in his homecountry... that's what groupies do at rock concerts/shows/interviews/etc... so what's the diff... *yawn* the more attention you give them (negative is better than none) the more power you're giving them to go through with it...

I've thrown toys on the ice... I missed once and whacked a judge... pretty sure that's why my guy didn't make the podium :laugh:

I believe toys and banners are a nice tradition in competitions. It is still supposed to be a sport and these are athletes competing, I m not modest but for me it is much more appropriate to do a pantie parade in a show. Anyway fans can do what they feel, but I dont like the tv input from pj, for what? is it supposed to show that the athlete is the most desired skater? If you want people to take seriously FS.. can you imagine Dick Button saying this on national tv? And how about if people started throwing wonderbras during ladies competition?

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Here's the problem:

She is taking something that was cool and funny at first, panties being thrown out to a skater, and trying to make it into a thing. Not only trying to make into a thing, but doing it in the most un-cool way possible. Ziploc bags and tongs? :laugh: :rolleye: :disapp: indeed

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ENNA0cBHm8

I find this comment a little too nasty and personal. I know PJ, she coached me awhile back and she is one of the nicest and most positive people I've ever met in my life. She always manages to find the best in everything. Say whatever you want about her work as a writer and commentator, but leave personal judgment out of it please.

Golly, Tonichelle, I hope it wasn't Kurt.

Another thing that bothers me with this is the wastefulness. Sigh, when people throw teddy bears onto the ice, the skaters donate them to local children's wards in hospitals. Whereas with undies....well, you just can't give them away. As we say over here, eeeewww.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Golly, Tonichelle, I hope it wasn't Kurt.

Another thing that bothers me with this is the wastefulness. Sigh, when people throw teddy bears onto the ice, the skaters donate them to local children's wards in hospitals. Whereas with undies....well, you just can't give them away. As we say over here, eeeewww.

The underwear being thrown is new, with the tags still on it so they can be donated to charities, if the skaters so desire.

Stores won't even take back unworn undies with tags. I'm not sure any charity will these days either. Heck, toy charities in the U.S. won't even take unboxed Barbies. This idea has train wreck written all over it.

chloepoco

Medalist
I think this is a horrible idea; stick to the teddy bears and donate them. Furthermore, if he isn't the last skater, it's unfair to the next skater since it will undoubtedly cause a big ruckus.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
I'm sure pj was nothing less than well intentioned. And I wouldn't presume to psychoanalyse her. I think that it's obvious that she loves the sport and is an enthusiastic kind of person.

It's also been obvious that it's been a sudden and probably heady experience for her to find herself suddenly in front of the camera. I think she's not always sensitive to where to draw the line between the enthusiast and the professional.

But CBC should have some control over what their employees say on air... they certainly have in the past..

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I find this comment a little too nasty and personal. I know PJ, she coached me awhile back and she is one of the nicest and most positive people I've ever met in my life. She always manages to find the best in everything. Say whatever you want about her work as a writer and commentator, but leave personal judgment out of it please.

I'm just calling it as I see it. Being a nice and positive person is irrelevant to how garish this idea is. If the nicest and most positive fashion designer in the World created an ugly line people wouldn't be praising it, they be leaving it on the rack and saying "don't do that again".

callalily

On the Ice
Well, this idea was not PJ's.

The ziploc bags were not her idea either. I don't know where the tongs crept in! :laugh:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I'm sure pj was nothing less than well intentioned. And I wouldn't presume to psychoanalyse her. I think that it's obvious that she loves the sport and is an enthusiastic kind of person.

It's also been obvious that it's been a sudden and probably heady experience for her to find herself suddenly in front of the camera. I think she's not always sensitive to where to draw the line between the enthusiast and the professional.

First you say you wouldn't presume to pyscho-analyze PJ Kwong and then you do exactly that. PJ is an experienced broadcaster who has doing commentary on a variety of sports for many years, including the Athens Olympics and the Beijing Olympics. She is hardly a rookie in front of the camera.

The CBC commentators all had fun with this. The folks at FSU are having fun with this. And the skaters are having fun with this. You people seem to be the only ones in need of a sense of humour.

skatinginbc

Medalist
Stores won't take them back, charity won't take them, either. Throwing them away is too wasteful. Will Chan wear them? No, I wasn't taking about panties. I meant socks or hats that fans might throw at him.:p

fscric

On the Ice
I remember reading a discussion here about some fans throwing panties to Takahashi and people didn't seem to have problem.

claphappy

On the Ice
I remember reading a discussion here about some fans throwing panties to Takahashi and people didn't seem to have problem.

That's because it stayed an idea and, thus, maintained the spontaneousness that makes such an idea fun.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
dragonlady...I certainly didn't speak to pj's emotional or mental state. Nor did I make any assumptions as to her upbringing , past traumatic experiences , etc. etc. ... I have absolutely no opinion on the state of her psyche.:sheesh:

I was a big fan of hers when she first started covering skating for CBC's bold.Her input was direct ,minimal , impartial and informative ... and really let you enjoy the skating without a lot of extraneous Yada Yada..

When CBC first put her in front of the camera for their skating broadcasts ( I knew she had a lot of experience as an audio announcer and broadcaster ) ... I had never seen her in front of a camera in all my years of viewing. She appeared uncomfortable and ungroomed. Her apparent ease and on camera appearance have greatly improved over the intervening time...She appeared to be someone who was suddenly popped onto the front line and had to learn to adjust.

This is merely my observation as a viewer, not an analysis of pj's mental / emotional status.

Her broadcast and writing style are certainly enthusiastic ..so , if she is not enthusiastic herself,she's a fine actress. But as she has had more and more input, my enthusiasm for her has waned ,somewhat. For my personal taste, I find her enthusiasm often too gushy, there's a tendency to be cutesy with words , and sometimes I detect a hint of favouritism , or of too obviously trying to direct an interviewee , or fellow commentator, where she wants things to go..( which can amount to putting words in people's mouths ). I can still sometimes find her preferable to some other commentators.

At the same time , her interactive role with the fans, doesn't help her to maintain distance from them, but encourages a feeling of fellowship, so I would imagine it might be difficult to know when something might go a step beyond judicious.

I was , in fact , trying to make allowances for pj and directing my dismay at the CBC , because the buck stops with them. It's one thing to have a chuckle over something the fans do after the fact if it was amusing , or to roll their eyes , or to ignore it, and direct the camera elsewhere if it was at all distasteful. But to help promote it by doing a blurb on it and then leaving the video up on your site..just makes it seem ..not like fan fun, but some kind of weird pr..(which may be distasteful to some)..as if they think the skating isn't interesting enough on it's own.

If they just kept out of it, it would just be some fans having fun , and might pass largely unnoticed.

Last edited: