Plushenko's Return | Golden Skate

Plushenko's Return

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gachinsky's two off-the-podium GP placements must have the Russian Fed worried.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Thanks for the link!

My free skate program is tango from "Moulin Rouge" in the musical version of Edvin Marton

What can I, or should I say?:rolleye:

Any way, I'm glad he'll come back and compete at Nationals, Euros, and Worlds!

seniorita

Record Breaker
I read it on Fb too, but I thought this year he wouldnt, anyway I really want Marton to be fired. Otherwise, yey!

Nadine

Record Breaker
Great news indeed! :cool:

When Zhenya says he is going to do something, he does. Therefore, there was not a doubt in my mind that he would be back, as he said he would be since the beginning. I have faith, and hope.

I'm only shocked in how fast his recovery has been since the knee surgery he had this past summer. He's like superman, any of his numerous injuries & surgeries over the past decade would have seen retirement for anybody else, but not Zhenya, not Zhenya. God is with him.

Now back to the article at hand. I like what he says, especially about his secret mysterious SP, and also what he says of Elizaveta. She's going to do the 3A by Sochi, God willing of course. Just thinking about it gets me excited! Mishin does indeed know what he is doing, as all his skaters have the best technique. No downgrades, underrotations, nor wrong edge calls for them. And their 3axels are honestly the best I've ever seen ~ swoosh ~ like they're flying up to heaven. No wonder the 3A is Evgeni's money jump, he can even do it with no speed at all, or when there's no room, therefore I would love to see him do it as his very last jump, right at the end of the program. Like the way Mao did the 2A in one of her early GPs.

If any one was ever to do a 4A, my bet it would've been Zhenya, but I'm just happy he's able to skate. Truly.

That said, I have to be totally honest and say I was slightly disappointed to see Edvin Marton's name, as imho he did not do justice to Evgeni with his Olympic LP. In fact I think it cost him the gold. But on the positive side, I absolutely love & adore Evgeni's 210% devotion & loyalty to those that have been with him forever, like Mr. Mishin, whom he has never left despite cries to do so from detractors over the years. That type of character and strength says a lot about a human being, let alone a man. :cool:

The SP is what intrigues me the most and gives me hope & dreams, I've always wanted Zhenya to show the world how beautifully he skates from the inside out, the way he did with "Nijinsky"...

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
...and also what he says of Elizaveta. She's going to do the 3A by Sochi,

He only said she's going to do three and a half turns. He didn't say she's going to do 3A. My question is: if someone adds a half more turn on any of the jumps, such as lutz, flip, loop, toe loop, or salchow, will that be possible technically? Can it be named into a brand new jump?

burntBREAD

Medalist
He only said she's going to do three and a half turns. He didn't say she's going to do 3A. My question is: if someone adds a half more turn on any of the jumps, such as lutz, flip, loop, toe loop, or salchow, will that be possible technically? Can it be named into a brand new jump?

Landing forwards is really hard/jarring/ugly. It would more likely be 4Lz<< or something.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Landing forwards is really hard/jarring/ugly. It would more likely be 4Lz<< or something.

Yes, that's how it would be called even if it were well controlled and obviously on purpose. No point in doing it.

Landing forwards on purpose is also always (at least for multirev jumps) on two feet, so that would be more points off.

However, intentional one-and-a-half jumps landing forward were first seen in the 1930s and used as connecting moves occasionally even when most of the jumps were doubles or triples. The most recent example I can think is here (at 1:52 and 3:32).

Unfortunately, under IJS they'd be called as downgraded doubles and fill a jump slot for practically no points, so not worth doing. Well, maybe at the end of the program after all the jump slots are filled with high-point jumps already. Choreo steps, guys?

seniorita

Record Breaker
If I can tell from various times I ve read russian translation of his interviews, I m sure Evgeni said the 3A.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I read an english translation article where it said 3A for Liza. I don't think they would be talking about an underrotated quad as a good thing.

I hope he would test his skill somewhere first before going to nationals. Full SP and full LP.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker

Yes, that's how it would be called even if it were well controlled and obviously on purpose. No point in doing it.

Landing forwards on purpose is also always (at least for multirev jumps) on two feet, so that would be more points off.

However, intentional one-and-a-half jumps landing forward were first seen in the 1930s and used as connecting moves occasionally even when most of the jumps were doubles or triples. The most recent example I can think is here (at 1:52 and 3:32).

Unfortunately, under IJS they'd be called as downgraded doubles and fill a jump slot for practically no points, so not worth doing. Well, maybe at the end of the program after all the jump slots are filled with high-point jumps already. Choreo steps, guys?

Thank you both! That helped!

I was picturing a three and a half turns and landing and flowing back out of the jumps. Indeed landing forwards without middle part of the body weight to help to make the flow out on ice, it'll be surely very difficult and ugly.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Peggy Fleming used to do a 1 1/2 flip single axle that was really neat to see, was intentional, and flowed beautifully.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Peggy Fleming used to do a 1 1/2 flip single axle that was really neat to see, was intentional, and flowed beautifully.

Robin Cousins used a 1/2 flip, flip and 1/4 (the type that lands on the "correct foot" but forward), double flip sequence in his Satan Takes a Holiday program.

Nadine

Record Breaker

skateluvr

Record Breaker
This will be his fourth Olympics if he makes it, yes? Did any male or female single skater in the very olden days go to 4 Olympics? I hope he skates well, and does not get embarrassed or upset if placements don't go his way. It was a risk to go to Vancouver. He is so brave, a warrior and really loves to skate and compete. Just amazing. If only Yagudin was healthy enough to have skated in his third Olympics. Russia's two male superstars competing. Those were great skating events.

ImaginaryPogue

Record Breaker
This will be his fourth Olympics if he makes it, yes? Did any male or female single skater in the very olden days go to 4 Olympics? I hope he skates well, and does not get embarrassed or upset if placements don't go his way. It was a risk to go to Vancouver. He is so brave, a warrior and really loves to skate and compete. Just amazing. If only Yagudin was healthy enough to have skated in his third Olympics. Russia's two male superstars competing. Those were great skating events.

Stojko did four (1992-2002)
Gillis Gafstrom did four (1920-1932)
Shen/Zhao did four (1998-2010)
Julia Sebestyen did four (1998-2010)

Antilles

Medalist
Vanessa Mae's Leyenda is wonderful to listen to. Didn't Plushenko already skate to the tango from Moulin Rouge earlier in his career?

I had no idea he planned to come back this soon. It'll be an interesting end to the season if he does.