Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tae Ok Ryom & Ju Sik Kim

5 Not allowed!

Tae Ok Ryom & Ju Sik Kim

These two represent the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. They competed at the Ice Challenge in Graz earlier this season and are now entered in 4CCs. I had absolutely no idea what to expect before the Ice Challenge, but was favorably impressed with them there. They have a pleasant style and technically are on par with many of the B level teams currently competing. They did achieve comfortably above the 4CCs minimums there; they also achieved the Worlds minimum in their Free Skate, but were slightly under it in their Short program. I do honestly think they have a good shot at hitting the Worlds SP minimum at 4CCs.

I did not open a thread for them before because I quite frankly did not know if we'd ever see them again, but now that they are officially entered in 4CCs I thought I would open this thread here and show them some love. I am confident that many more people will be pleasantly surprised by this pair when they see them there, and I am glad that their federation is giving them these chances to go to international competitions.

These two are still very difficult to find information about and videos of at the moment, but I will post things as I find them. To start, here are their ISU and Stats on Ice Bios.

ISU Bio

Stats on Ice Bio

If anyone has any other info please let me know- I would love to be able to introduce more people to this team and convince them they're worth watching

Personal Best Total Score 157.24 ISU Four Continents Championships 2016
    Personal Best Score Short Program 53.83 ISU Four Continents Championships 2016
    Personal Best Score Free Skating 103.41 ISU Four Continents Championships 2016

Competitive Programs

2015-2016 Season
    SP: Salut d'Amour by Elgar; choreo by Hyon Son Kim
    LP: The Prince and the Sugarplum Fairy (from "The Nutcracker") by P. I. Tchaikovski; choreo by Hyon Son Kim

2016 Cup of Tyrol SP
    2016 Cup of Tyrol FS
    2016 Cup of Tyrol Medal Ceremony

2016 4CCs SP
    2016 4CCs LP

2015 Ice Challenge of Graz SP

Competitive History

2016 Cup of Tyrol Innsbruck - 3rd
    2016 ISU Four Continents Championships - 7th
    2015 ISU CS Ice Challenge - 5th
    Last edited by dorispulaski; Today at 11:23 AM.

I got cat class and I got cat style ♪ solar's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    This pair definitely caught my eye during the Ice Challenge. I'm anticipating their 4cc performance. I'm glad they're able to compete

0 Not allowed!
    These two did just great in their 4CC's SP There TES was over 4 points above the Worlds minimum. They also smashed their Ice Challenge score by 9 points I hope this means they will be able to go to Worlds but am not sure if this will be enough time for them to obtain a visa. I have done a little google research and it looks like it is at least theoretically possible for a North Korean to obtain a visa to the USA (the internet makes is sound like it's harder for them to get an exit visa from North Korea than an entry one but who knows if that's true), but I just don't know if 1 month is realistically enough time.

No one appears to have posted a video of their skate yet but stay tuned- I will come post it as soon as I find one, I am sure one must be out there somewhere!

Medalist

1 Not allowed!
    Really hope a video surfaces soon! Glad they got the tech min.

"What Rohene says is what will be done" StitchMonkey's Avatar

2 Not allowed!
    Until a real video surfaces... the full pairs event is online and they start at about 24 minutes in

https://youtu.be/NSzqu_3Lhj8?t=1462

4 Not allowed!
    Unfortunately the full pairs event is geoblocked now, but I am happy to say that some kind soul did post their program on it's own: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD8fTKG-mwo

4 Not allowed!
    These two did great again today! They ended up 7th (which I think is very good in this field) and beat their previous personal best score by 15 points. This will also move them up from 50 to 28 on the Season's best list which actually might be good enough for them to get a Grand Prix spot next year

This is a link to their skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaeOfefTik

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Just watched their fs, and wow, i'm so impressed! Really hope they go to worlds and get a gp assignment next season.

2 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    These two did great again today! They ended up 7th (which I think is very good in this field) and beat their previous personal best score by 15 points. This will also move them up from 50 to 28 on the Season's best list which actually might be good enough for them to get a Grand Prix spot next year

This is a link to their skate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XaeOfefTik
    I was totally just coming to this thread to ask if they might get a gp next year! That'd be awesome if they did! I hope they continue to do well. I've heard that sometimes North Korea doesn't keeping sending athletes internationally if they don't do well (confirmation or correction welcome), so I hope that they're doing well enough to keep getting sent out. They look like a fun team, and it's good to see teams from smaller federations!

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Princessroja View Post
    I was totally just coming to this thread to ask if they might get a gp next year! That'd be awesome if they did! I hope they continue to do well. I've heard that sometimes North Korea doesn't keeping sending athletes internationally if they don't do well (confirmation or correction welcome), so I hope that they're doing well enough to keep getting sent out. They look like a fun team, and it's good to see teams from smaller federations!
    I don't think any of us really know if this is true because in recent years North Korea has sent out so few athletes internationally- this is literally the first North Korean figure skating team or skater I remember seeing and I have been following skating for 20+ years now, almost 15 of those quite seriously. I was worried about this after the Ice Challenge, but I think their result here should be good enough to allow them to be sent at least to Worlds if they can get the visa, and then we'll have to see how they do there I suppose. Realistically speaking they have had a very strong international debut this season, especially with their being from such a small and unimportant/perhaps even dismissed federation, but I don't know what results the North Korean federation would consider 'good enough' if that makes sense. I think all they can do though is keep trying to show improvement at each competition and they definitely did that here.

I do really think with some more experience their PCS have the potential to go up quite a bit. Their tech is already actually sufficient- the only 'crucial' imprvements that need to be made are if they could just get the twist stronger and slightly strengthen their SBS jumps. The throws, lifts, spins and so on are all already of good quality and getting fine levels though they should keep trying to polish everything to make it really great and really get the GOEs up.

0 Not allowed!
    i am pleasantly surprised by how refined they skated, not expected that at all! they have so much promise,their throws are really good!! and she is a cutie! hopefully we will see them more often

Medalist

3 Not allowed!

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411icecoverage's Avatar

5 Not allowed!
    More photos from Four Continents:

SP:
    https://www.facebook.com/isufiguresk...type=3&theater

Cross-posting from the North Korea festival thread:

The ISU Instagram account posted a photo of Ryom/Kim's FS death spiral:

Here they are with skaters from other countries at the banquet in Taipei:

One more off-ice photo of them from Four Continents:

3 Not allowed!
    we will see them at Cup of Tyrol! here is competition thread
    http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthr...rol-(9-13-Mar)

and i found their SP from Ice Challenge : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPAZ5H1Nqw

my hope for them competing at worlds is gtting bigger!
    Last edited by matmuh; 03-02-2016 at 01:10 PM.

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matmuh View Post
    we will see them at Cup of Tyrol! here is competition thread
    http://goldenskate.com/forum/showthr...rol-(9-13-Mar)

and i found their SP from Ice Challenge : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPAZ5H1Nqw

my hope for them competing at worlds is gtting bigger!
    Oh great news! Thanks! I am still really hoping they will be able to appear at Worlds

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast