Page 3 of 806 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 503 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Personally, I think Yuzuru is already one of the big things (figuratively of course, 'cause single skaters are all midgets). Barring injury, he has to be considered a podium contender at every event he gets to this season.

Also, lol at all the Yuzuru/Anime comparisons. I thought the very same thing about him the first time I saw him skate, too. His looks and bearings just hit that bishounen hot spot dead on. I've already seen a lot of fan art of him from Japan. He is a marketer's dream.
    Haha I'm glad that I'm not the only one that thinks Yuzuru's got the bishounen look. When I first saw him, I thought that he could easily pass off as a Jpop boyband member >.<
    He moves pretty well in his exhibitions so I wonder if he would be good at dancing too :D

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    lol His pop dancing in his Justin Bieber exhibition number is... probably better than most skaters, though still far from the level of a competent pop performer. I really, really can't imagine Yuzuru as a member of any boy band though. There's something fiercely individualistic about him. I just can't imagine him subsuming himself in that kind of lockstep movement and dynamic for long.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    doctor2014, Welcome to Golden Skate! We hope you post long and often.

I especially love reports from people who saw a competition live! Thank you for telling us about seeing Yuzuru skate.

Custom Title
    Thanks for your warm welcome, dorispulaski.
    I’ve actually seen several competitions live already, but I’ve been busy for work so was lazy to post. Thank Hanyu for skating brilliantly and so stimulating me to post and ask about him.

I’ll try to find time to post more about him and other skaters I’ve also seen live.

Custom Title
    i would love to watch him live :P i've only been to one competition, Skate Canada, so far....wish I had the money to go to more haha

Banned

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    OMG so cute...I just wanna pinch his little cheeks ^___^ what happened to Hino?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    OMG so cute...I just wanna pinch his little cheeks ^___^ what happened to Hino?
    I think he (Hino)'s in the JGPF this year?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    I think he (Hino)'s in the JGPF this year?
    Ohhhhh......wow, it seemed just like yesterday they were competing at the same level, and now Yuzuru surpassed him so quickly! lol wonder how Hino feels :P

Quote Originally Posted by Becki View Post
    Ohhhhh......wow, it seemed just like yesterday they were competing at the same level, and now Yuzuru surpassed him so quickly! lol wonder how Hino feels :P
    Hanyu has progressed extremely quickly; he was outside the top ten at his first Junior Worlds, but the next season he was unbeatable, even though he didn't turn 15 until midway through the season and was regularly competing against skaters more than four years his senior (he was the youngest competitor at the JGPF and one of the youngest at 2010 JW*). And Hanyu is young for a senior skater, of course (17 tomorrow, happy birthday to him!), but he's not juniorish - and his marks suggest that the judges already see him as a real contender. But it's worth remembering that this sort of progress is unusual even among top skaters; most guys will not be ready to compete as seniors at the age of 15. Even Patrick Chan, clearly a unique talent who did succeed as a teenager, was not getting these sort of scores at the comparable point in his career.

Hino is still very young, and it's perfectly reasonable for him to still be competing at the junior level. With so many talented Japanese skaters, he'd be better off developing as a junior and gaining a positive reputation for himself that way.

* Of the competitors with Wikipedia entries, only one was younger: Czech skater Petr Coufal, who finished 19th (ETA: the youngest competitor appears to have been China's Wenbo Zang).
    Last edited by Buttercup; 12-06-2011 at 04:06 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Goodness this is beyond adorable. Hanyu still got the same bowl haircut (which I had when I was uh..5!) and the same lisp. He also remind me of Rock Lee from Naruto.

http://www.poptower.com/rock-lee-naruto.htm

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Hanyu has progressed extremely quickly; he was outside the top ten at his first Junior Worlds, but the next season he was unbeatable, even though he didn't turn 15 until midway through the season and was regularly competing against skaters more than four years his senior (he was the youngest competitor at the JGPF and one of the youngest at 2010 JW*). And Hanyu is young for a senior skater, of course (17 tomorrow, happy birthday to him!), but he's not juniorish - and his marks suggest that the judges already see him as a real contender. But it's worth remembering that this sort of progress is unusual even among top skaters; most guys will not be ready to compete as seniors at the age of 15. Even Patrick Chan, clearly a unique talent who did succeed as a teenager, was not getting these sort of scores at the comparable point in his career.

Hino is still very young, and it's perfectly reasonable for him to still be competing at the junior level. With so many talented Japanese skaters, he'd be better off developing as a junior and gaining a positive reputation for himself that way.

* Of the competitors with Wikipedia entries, only one was younger: Czech skater Petr Coufal, who finished 19th (ETA: the youngest competitor appears to have been China's Wenbo Zang).
    If you want to look at all of their birthdays, it would probably be easier to look at the official entries list: http://www.isuresults.com/results/wjc2010/CAT001EN.HTM

I should be working, so I'm not going to actually go through each of the 46 skaters, but feel free, if you'd like.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

I know that, Hino is just 16 (can't believe those born in 1995 are 16 now O____O), which is a perfectly fine age to still be in Juniors. Hanyu did advance through the levels and ranks quite quickly! but he's amazingly talented not only for someone his age, but for someone who only puts in an avg of 17 hours of practice per week!

Custom Title
    The clip from medal ceremony is so cute. Speaking of manga, he really reminds me of Akira in Hikaru no go.

Custom Title
    Yuzuru turns 17 today! Maybe for his late birthday gift the gods will heal his ankles and give him two outstanding performances at the GPF

Page 3 of 806 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 53 103 503 ... LastLast