Page 74 of 672 FirstFirst ... 24 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 124 174 574 ... LastLast
Results 1,096 to 1,110 of 10073

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommmy View Post
    Maybe this could be a source?
    http://p.twpl.jp/show/orig/BZwfT
    Thanks, Tommmy! This is exactly the one we were looking for. I did some research and apparently the article comes from Chunichi Sports. So, now at least we've got sources from two non-major-newspapers. I'll just put the links here for reference:
    Nikkan Sports: jjane45 provided the summary of what's written there a few pages back.
    Chunichi Sports: where it's mentioned he spent the night lying around in bed with a cold compress applied to the swollen area. But ultimately, it reported that he was fine and emphasized that it didn't develop into any serious injury.

As for Friday, basically a bunch of irrelevant stories. Not worth reading.
    Last edited by zydeco88; 02-15-2013 at 09:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Thank you, Tommmy! I haven't read this article.
    It also said that he had a packed lunch bought at a convenience store.
    You deserve a better meal, Yuzuru!! (food in convenience stores in Japan is actually good though)

Custom Title
    J-Sports Post-SP Interview - Yuzuru Hanyu

Source (07:27 - 08:30): YT

- You weren't able to put up a perfect short program but still managed to come out on top. Looking back, how do you feel about it?
    Everyone wasn't able to put up their best performance. Frankly, I'm not really too concerned about the placements after the short, whether it's first or second. Honestly speaking, I personally find that my performance this time wasn't up to scratch. And I still feel that (the judges) were too generous with my scores. I'd like to sustain this disappointment and focus on tomorrow.

- Regarding the (mistake on the) Lutz, was it due to the the quality of the ice or its conditions?
    It was entirely my own mistake. Really, I have to be able to jump under any kinds of circumstances. And there's the fact that I wasn't able to keep the focus until the end. Anyway, I'd like to keep my focus and end everything on a high note tomorrow.
    At any rate, I'm really disappointed today. I'd like to overcome this disappointment, pull myself together for tomorrow and nail everything without losing my concentration.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lakeside View Post
    If you can read Japanese, then you should know that Yuzru could not sleep well the night after the LP and had to apply ice compress.
    This statement doesn't make any sense. Ranting about people's reading ability and knowledge from such reading without actually providing the source to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommmy View Post
    Maybe this could be a source?
    http://p.twpl.jp/show/orig/BZwfT
    Thanks for the link. I assume it's a local Aichi newspaper. I am not surprised that major newspapers didn't focus much on this injury. It would make Yuzu look weak considering that some athletes actually win competions with way more serious injuries, like skating with a ruined disk in the spinal.
    Quote Originally Posted by giulia95 View Post
    Well. Thank for the link too. If for example Javi lost Euros, Orser would be saying exactly the same text, just changed the names only. Very generic talk with no skater's individuality, just like his coaching approch .

Whe will Orser get over Yuna? Three years have paassed, he still finds the reasons to bring her in each interview, even in 4CC-2013 Men stuff. Poor man.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Whe will Orser get over Yuna? Three years have paassed, he still finds the reasons to bring her in each interview, even in 4CC-2013 Men stuff. Poor man.
    Yuna was one of Orser's first students (if not THE first student). They had really good rapport -- you could see that in documentaries, kiss and cry, etc. Yuna has grown so much under Orser, and with Yuna, Orser finally got the gold medal that he had long yearned for. You never forget your first, and you never forget your best. Yuna was both.

Custom Title
    Misha has uploaded a video montage of the 4CC Pre-Gala Practice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqMrzAku66g

It mainly focuses on Misha himself, Dai and Yuzu. Seems that they had a lot of fun.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    Misha has uploaded a video montage of the 4CC Pre-Gala Practice.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqMrzAku66g

It mainly focuses on Misha himself, Dai and Yuzu. Seems that they had a lot of fun.
    Oh boy, and the (ADD) boys will be boys

Custom Title
    Interview in Japanese from Number (Issue No. 817)
    http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/307988

Summary / highlights translation would be much appreciated!!!

I like that title when translated to English " Graceful soldier's of figure skating".

Medalist
    A cute pic from 4CC by a famous photographer.

http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/be...best_shot.html

They also uploaded 4CC pics in Photo Gallery.

http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/gallery/index2.html

Introduction of an article of him after 4CC by Tatiana Flade on IFS magazine.

http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/...2nERW4.twitter

"I wanted to win. I always want to win." It's soooo Yuzuru.
    Last edited by Hanaka; 02-24-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    Interview in Japanese from Number (Issue No. 817)
    http://number.bunshun.jp/articles/-/307988

Summary / highlights translation would be much appreciated!!!
    17歳の目覚め
    The awakening of the 17 years old

Disclaimer: I do not understand Japanese. This translation attempt depends on Chinese translation by wxunxx on tieba (thanks!!) and google translate. I am sure there are mistakes, and corrections are more than welcome.

Page 1

"Training in Toronto is a strategic decision on my part. Not because Coach Brian Orser trained Kim Yuna, but because I must have rivals to motivate myself. I often grew from seeing other skaters in competition, ice shows, or official practices, and wanted to know how much will I develop under daily pressures. I also wanted to know the secret of Javier Fernandez who has two kinds of quads. These reasons brought me to Canada, not because of Kim Yuna. I wanted to train in an environment that simulates competitions."

Cricket Club is about 30 minutes by train and bus from downtown Toronto. Hanyu trains here under Brian Orser the "horse trader". (note: LOL for a good 5 minutes after figuring out what was the horse trading in google translation about - 名伯楽 is a Chinese idiom, according to weblio it means "Person with insight into the people who have excellent qualities.") During the interview, Hanyu uses different words to call himself - he is a humble 仆 when talking about competitors, but becomes an aggressive 俺 when talking about his strategies. This 17-year-old boy cannot hide his exhilaration facing huge changes ahead of him.

At 2012 Worlds in Nice, Hanyu was 7th in SP but led after his LP. Coach Nanami Abe watched the final group and said: "Next year, you need an overseas teacher." (note: note sure about this one)

Maybe Coach Abe only suggested (note: short-term?) overseas training. However, when the young World bronze medalist returned to Sendai, he pondered on those words.

"I am most at ease training in Sendai, I also do not want to leave my family. But with many people cheering for me, there is a lot of expectation on my shoulders. Skating is no longer about myself. When I stand on the podium, I'm no longer supposed to put my own feelings first. In order to take another step forward, I chose to leave Coach Abe and go abroad."

Page 2

“I went to Toronto. In the past I received information on the training environment there, and Coach Brian Orser was a major part of it. When Coach Orser received my request, he first consulted Fernandez about the possibility of training along side a rival. Fernandez welcomed the idea immediately, and my transfer was quickly decided.”

At Cricket, Coach Orser is assisted by a team of multiple coaches. Tracy Wilson focuses on skating skills, David Wilson is a world level choreographer, and there are specialty coaches on spins, steps, ballet etc. The elegance and prestige of the skating environment here is beyond and above Japan.

In May 2012, Hanyu entered the club gate excitedly, thinking "show me the quad salchow soon". His first trial, however, was to work on basic skating everyday.

"In Sendai my personal daily ice time was limited to an hour, and jump training became the priority. I did not practice enough basic skating and this weakness shows."

A famous Cricket tradition is group skating skills training, with 10-20 skaters from junior to elite senior all doing the same steps at the end of practice. However, the World Championship bronze medalist Hanyu showed weaker skating skills than anyone else.

"Well, I was very glad." Hanyu recalls a little excitedly. "Because I could see my weakness! By fixing it, my skating will fundamentally change, I can have more convincing performances and achieve a new stage."

Page 3

In conjunction with basic skating training, Coach Orser also challenged Hanyu with two new programs. "He came to impress fans with dramatic acting all the time. Now he needs to be able to present more maturely, this makeover could become his new style. So Jeff Buttle was asked to choreograph a different, mature SP. Unlike the LP by David Wilson, which by Hanyu's request is more dramatic. I asked David to put in a lot of highly difficult transitions that Hanyu has not done before."

Up-and-coming choreographer, former world champion Jeff Buttle chose classic blues, "Parisienne Walkways" for SP. Unlike music that calls for wild body movements, the "between" parts in this program clearly highlights quality basic skating. Hanyu used to avoid such programs, because it's more difficult to express emotions in them compared to the opera-type music he used in the past.

In the finished SP, a series of long steps are designed to show a feeling of "weakness", "slumber" and accelerate without using force. This part required intensive basic skating skills. "In a summer ice show with Jeff, I performed this new program. I kept practicing these basic skills. Apparently Jeff prefers that skaters stay faithful to his choreography, but as I gradually added my own feelings and touches, Jeff says 'it is Hanyu's now'."

LP is "Notre Dame de Paris". The dramatic song comes packed with technical details that Hanyu is not accustomed to. There were three main challenges.

Until now, Hanyu got away by forcing power through the program (note: not quite sure). However, the new LP does not have any part that involves forceful amateur acceleration. It is all refined skating.

"In the past, I rested whenever possible, jumped when jumps come up, and pushed harder when I had to. But now the whole program is about technique that integrates from beginning to end. So if I fall on a jump mid-program all becomes interrupted. It is painful anyway."

Rest of the interview not shown online. The other two challenges appear to be integrating revised jumps / spin layout into choreography, and the quad salchow.

Does anyone know any good web apps for collaborative translation projects?
    Last edited by jjane45; 02-24-2013 at 05:58 PM.

Custom Title
    Canon interview also from December 2012
    http://web.canon.jp/event/skating/in...nt_hanyu1.html

Packed with lots of information, will someone please translate highlights?

Here is a cute quote:

ブライアン(コーチ)に『ファンデーション、ファンデーション』って毎日言われます。でも僕としてはまだ化 粧水の段階って感じ。
    化粧水があって、乳液があって、やっとファンデーションにたどり着く……という感じ。
    Everyday Coach Brian says "foundation, foundation". However I feel I am only in the lotion stage. There is lotion, milky lotion, then finally get to the foundation... :D
    Last edited by jjane45; 02-25-2013 at 12:16 AM.

Custom Title
    Everyday Coach Brian says "foundation, foundation". However I feel I am only in the lotion stage. There is lotion, milky lotion, then finally get to the foundation... :D
    LOL. This made me chuckle. Thanks for the links/translations!

Packed with lots of information, will someone please translate highlights?

Here is a cute quote:

HAHAHA omg that's golden. Definitely gonna steal this joke :P
    Thanks for translating.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanaka View Post
    "I wanted to win. I always want to win." It's soooo Yuzuru.
    Yes! I really want to read following pages.

Just one part:

"The origin of my jumps is Axel. In the past, Single axel turned to be Double axel when I was in good shape. Axel is a jump with a forward take off unlike other jumps, and I think it's cool when you land it. My triple axel contributes to the score because it is consistent now."

I can watch his huge, beautiful axel all day long

Page 74 of 672 FirstFirst ... 24 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 124 174 574 ... LastLast