Page 18 of 397 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast

Thread: Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Partial translation of an interview with Natalia Bestemyanova and Igor Bobrin (only the part where Plushenko and Yuzuru are mostly concerned, Kovtun is mentioned a bit here), courtesy of LT over at evgeni-plushenko forum.
    Link to the original article: http://rsport.ru/interview/20131104/698256186.html

- As an ex-leader of the Soviet National Team, the European champion and the World Championship medalist, do you feel upset that Russian single skater in Men, whoever he may be, will unlikely medal in Sochi Olympics?

I.B.: Well, let's not discount Zhenya Plushenko. Although I do not know how well his health now is. His desire to participate in the Olympic Games is huge, but the health conditions are not always on his side in this. As for the other guys, there is sure a certain failure. And ironically Zhenya is partly the one to blame. Too many skaters tried to follow his syle, basicaly copying it. But it's a known fact that a copy is always worse than the original. That is where I see our misfortune: there's no individualities, no persons who could fully say that you can go in a different way. If you allow me to say it- to do what I did at my time.

- A Maxim Kovtun ? Do you believe in him?

I.B.: It all depends on psychology, how well he will be prepared. Sometimes he is the fifth in cometitions, sometimes- the fifteenth. The Olympics is a special event, you can't compare them to any other competition. This is a very different intensity of fight, someone must have nerves. In psychological terms, it seems to me foreign athletes are better prepared than we are now.

- You used to work with one of them- the Japanese skater Yuzuru Hanyu. Who found whom in your cooperation, he contacted you or you contacted him?

I.B.: My wife and I were invited by the Japanese Federation of figure skating. They knew about us, and about that I choreographed the programs for Lena Berezhnaya and Anton Sikharulidze with which they became the Olympic champions, as well as the program for Irina Slutskaya with which she became the World Champion. Natalia and I also choreographed the program for Sasha Smirnov and Yuko Kawaguchi, so I have some records in terms of choreography. And in all these contracts I was working not as a coach but as a choreographer and the creater of programs. Apparently, the Japanese watched all the stuff, they liked it and decided that it would be beneficial to invite such a choreographer for the young athlete.

I remember that from the very beginning we built a great relationships with him. It's incredible how he trains and follows all the demand of the choreographer! And sometimes the demands were to try something new, while we were not sure if that new will be included in the program. He implicitly tried everything what we said, and at each practice he worked hard, "till to sweat", literally to the point of exhaustion, feeling almost unconscious. When the Japanese television came to shoot his practice with us in Moscow, I thought this would be his last day in life, so hard he tried his best ( laughs).

N.B.: There is an idea that sits in our minds: the Japanese are different in terms of working hard. A year ago, before the World Championship where Hanyu won a bronze medal, the television visited us. After the interview with Hanyu they came to us, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong: they were just staring at us. Then the interpreter explained: "He said in the interview that he goes on every practice with the feeling of wild fear. He is afraid that he won't survive until the end of the practice." That's how he was given himself to work because he believed truly in what we were giving him. He's a very talented guy, and at every practice he worked really hard, as if it was his last time. Not so many athletes can train this way.

-Can Hanyu win in Sochi?

I.B.: Anyone in top 10 can win. They all go there for the Olympic gold.

N.B.: This is the main competition in any athlete's life!

I.B.: I can say that Hanyu is a very emotional athlete, he can make interesting creative programs. That is to some extent can be on his way: he doesn't have the nerves of steel. But, nevertheless, he has already gain quite a big competitive experience, he has proven more than once that at the decisive moments he can "gather" himself. Probably it's not a patriotic thing to say that I'll be rooting for him but I'm definitely wishing him to succeed.

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    Partial translation of an interview with Natalia Bestemyanova and Igor Bobrin (only the part where Plushenko and Yuzuru are mostly concerned, Kovtun is mentioned a bit here), courtesy of LT over at evgeni-plushenko forum.
    Link to the original article: http://rsport.ru/interview/20131104/698256186.html
    many thanks to LT and Zydeco for the article!!

0 Not allowed!
    I saw just now the video of Plush talking about Hanyu , loved it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy8MLBAT_yA

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    I saw just now the video of Plush talking about Hanyu , loved it!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uy8MLBAT_yA

A part from his left arm, Yuzu shares the same FS ending pose with Plushy !!! Is it a sign of destiny?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zoNehVl6Bw

Spectator

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, zydeco88 and seniorita.
    Glad to know quite a few Russian big names said great things about Yuzuru : Tarasova, Plushenko, Mishin, Yagudin, Eteri Tutberidze (if it could be considered as a praise ) and Bestemyanova & Bobrin.

he has proven more than once that at the decisive moments he can "gather" himself.
    It is exactly what Arakawa said in a recent news show. " Hanyu's mental strength at the decisive moment"

Good luck Yuzuru, at TEB!

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Yesterday's documentary: "What Yuzuru learned from Patrick at Skate Canada"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmvdCU_OcNI

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by msteach3 View Post
    Wow the documentary is so much more enjoyable when you know what they are saying! Thanks a second time zydeco88 for sharing.

Has anyone seen or read an interview with Yuzu after his skate in Canada? One in which he talks about how he was feeling, thoughts on the program, etc.?
    Quote Originally Posted by msteach3 View Post
    Have there been any interviews with Yuzu after the competition? I haven't seen any in the English press. Are there any Japanese fans that can share what has been printed in Japanese media?
    I found this video of Yuzu's interviews after SP, FP and EX and some news clips, although they are in Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_4Yn-BfrY

Summarized: After SP.
    Interviewer: You looked so frustrated after the performance.
    Yuzuru: Exactly as you saw. Very disappointed about my performance.
    I: What point was most disappointing?
    Y: Totally. I'm so frustrated about my performance totally today. I may not be able to switch the mood perfectly, but, my fans cheered me up "Tomorrow! You still have a chance to recover tomorrow!!" I thought they were right. There is not a desparate difference in the score yet. I'll do my best to recover tomorrow, using this failure as a springboard, for securing the position for Grand Prix Final.

After FP:
    Interviewer: I saw you smiled after the performance?
    Yuzuru: Year, as I just sighed "Oops, I messed up." I didn't failed any 3A so bad last year. So, I thought "Gosh, look what I have messed up," and, as I still have a chance for the Grand Prix Final, I will start afresh for the next competition.
    I: What do you have in your mind after Skate Canada that you said as the first step for Sochi?
    Y: This was a competition for me to realize there are still a lot of challenges left, just like after the Skate America last year. Challenges do not mean totally bad. I can make them as the springboard for the next competition, as we cannot change what happened in the past. Taking them as a good lessen, I'm going back to to my hard and bitter training

He said "Yacchattana" (sighed for messing up) with a rather self-deprecatory smile. I remembered his smile at the time of FP of NHK last year after he failed a spin, and after the program ended. Sorry everyone, I love this kind of smile of his too .

After EX, he said it took him time to remember the program (it's SP two years ago). He has not decided yet to make this program as the EX for this season. He was surprised his speed was increased from 2 years ago, and it was difficult for him to match the timing of jumps, it was a bit shock for him that his toe jump became "panku" (meaning flat tire in Japanese, and Japanese skaters call jumps released in the air. I don't know what it is called in English.

Comparison:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovZzkIiGkY4

I wish to see his "Change" again as EX! Or "True Love"?

Just forgive my rough English!

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
    ..... it was a bit shock for him that his toe jump became "panku" (meaning flat tire in Japanese, and Japanese skaters call jumps released in the air. I don't know what it is called in English.
    SuzyQ, "panku" in Japanese figure skating vocabulary refers to when a skater forsakes their rotational position mid-air which causes them to make fewer rotations than desired. The English equivalent of the word is "to pop a jump".

Medalist

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zydeco88 View Post
    SuzyQ, "panku" in Japanese figure skating vocabulary refers to when a skater forsakes their rotational position mid-air which causes them to make fewer rotations than desired. The English equivalent of the word is "to pop a jump".
    Thank you zydeco88! Hmmm, very interesting. Panku and pop may be originated from the same image, or same sound

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by gardenernaga View Post
    Yesterday's documentary: "What Yuzuru learned from Patrick at Skate Canada"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmvdCU_OcNI
    Thanks gardenernaga and SuzyQ for sharing. Our boy certainly works up a good sweat!

0 Not allowed!
    WOW!!! Yuzu ROCKS Paris!

I loved, loved, loved that program! His jumps were huge and he was having so much fun. What a joy to see.
    Good luck to him in the free tomorrow!

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Congrats Yuzuru for the silver medal!
    Yuzuru and Jason (they're seriously adorable!):
    https://twitter.com/niji1223/status/401762775896449024
    https://twitter.com/niji1223/status/401762638008680448

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Congratulations on the silver medal at TEB, Yuzuru

FS:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqzlj3A1Pf0
    Interview:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dvaoe1t_5s

Interviewer: How was your performance today?

Yuzuru: It couldn't be helped. Bad luck a little bit with 4s but after that I think that I could bounce back in the latter of the program and I could make progress on that point since SC.

I: Once again, could you tell me what happened with 4s in the beginning of the program?

Y: Well, probably, I was stuck in the ditch of the edge made by other skaters or something like that, but it couldn't be helped really.

I: You are decided to go to GPF, what is your aspiration for it?

Y: Well...all I have to do is to make progress...umm...to make it better and better for the Olympics and I want to skate "better Romio and Juliet" in the GPF.

Good luck in the GPF!! Now I'm looking forward to seeing the gala

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you, yude!

Congratulations on the silver medal and on the GP Final!

Page 18 of 397 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 118 ... LastLast