Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 176 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Schatz

Spectator
There's a change on F/Lz. Unclear and wrong edge is going to cost more scores both in GOE and BV.

And some change in spins and the jumps in SP.

channah

Rinkside
【video】Yuzu's speech before parade, very touching! :thumbsup:

Prince' victory, Parade of Olympics gold medalist - Hanyu

http://link.brightcove.co.jp/services/player/bcpid592369493002?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAiDPOpUo~,8ZTPNBC6qmb3e2ESD6OcDHNQJ4sjsu5q&bctid=816162789002

He mentioned Shizuka Arakawa twice; one is her gold medal motivated him to aim the Olympics Champion, and another is her effort to push the reopen of ice rink (his home training base) that play an important role to Yuzu’s success.

Yuzu ever mentioned in a book that the ice rink closed two years because of financial difficulty. Thus, he significantly reduced the practice frequency and could not have a chance to compete national games because Sendai was lack of male players making a team.

Until 2006, Arakawa won the gold medal to push the reopen happened. Yuzu can be trained locally and then we can witness his success.

No wonder he always took action to give back his hometown as he can. Good luck Sendai people, you have a sincere prince with great gratitude.

ps.
I won't be able to translate full length. Might someone can do it, please.

http://link.brightcove.co.jp/servic...C6qmb3e2ESD6OcDHNQJ4sjsu5q&bctid=816162789002

Here is a translation of Yuzuru’s victory speech aat the end of the parade.
“At this time there are too many people to count who have come out to see me today at the parade. I am so happy that the parade is happening here in Sendai. As a sports athlete I am very proud that I was able to get a good result at a competition of the highest level and leave a good record there.
Four years ago, I was a just coming out of the junior competitions and it was all I could do to compete in the senior competitions. And now, a very short four years later I have a gold medal. I didn’t think such a thing would happen so quickly.
Eight years ago when Arakawa Shizuka won the gold medal in Torino there was also a parade to celebrate the event. At that time I also started to think that I wanted to win an Olympic gold medal but I never imagined that I would do it so quickly.
I’m actually feeling a little nervous making this speech now….ehh…ehh…
Three years ago in this region there was a big earthquake. As a skater, sportsman and an athlete, I am competing on the world stage and in that realm I have been able to get good results but I always want to keep in mind the people of Sendai and Miyagi.
Also, in the Tohoku area there was only one ice rink, that was Ice Rink Sendai and that was the place where I used to practice. That rink was once closed down, but thanks to efforts by Arakawa Shizuka it got reopened and with the help of lots of people I was able to get the gold medal. There are still a lot of my juniors and young children who want to skate and they need to be supported and cheered on. That is what I ask of you today. This is the end of my speech and I want to thank you all very much.”

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
http://link.brightcove.co.jp/servic...C6qmb3e2ESD6OcDHNQJ4sjsu5q&bctid=816162789002

“At this time there are too many people to count who have come out to see me today at the parade. I am so happy that the parade is happening here in Sendai. As a sports athlete I am very proud that I was able to get a good result at a competition of the highest level and leave a good record there.
Four years ago, I was a just coming out of the junior competitions and it was all I could do to compete in the senior competitions. And now, a very short four years later I have a gold medal. I didn’t think such a thing would happen so quickly.
Eight years ago when Arakawa Shizuka won the gold medal in Torino there was also a parade to celebrate the event. At that time I also started to think that I wanted to win an Olympic gold medal but I never imagined that I would do it so quickly.
Three years ago in this region there was a big earthquake. As a skater, sportsman and an athlete, I am competing on the world stage and in that realm I have been able to get good results but I always want to keep in mind the people of Sendai and Miyagi.
Also, in the Tohoku are there was only one ice rink, that was Ice Rink Sendai and that was the place where I used to practice. That rink was once closed down, but thanks to efforts by Arakawa Shizuka it got reopened and with the help of lots of people I was able to get the gold medal. There are still a lot of my juniors and young children who want to skate and they need to be supported and cheered on. That is what I ask of you today. This is the end of my speech and I want to that you all very much.”

When I got to this I just lost it :cry:

Very moving speech, thanks for the translation channah :clap:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

Also, in the Tohoku are there was only one ice rink, that was Ice Rink Sendai and that was the place where I used to practice. That rink was once closed down, but thanks to efforts by Arakawa Shizuka it got reopened and with the help of lots of people I was able to get the gold medal. There are still a lot of my juniors and young children who want to skate and they need to be supported and cheered on. That is what I ask of you today. This is the end of my speech and I want to that you all very much.”

Very touching :) thanks for the translation ^^

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
I saw the post on tumblr and got curious. There is a new interesting interview with Yuzu which starts at 4:23. He says about his future plans and goals as well as gives a special message for children. He talked so kindly and touchingly, I wish we had translation. If someone can translate, please help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyID55LGh0

channah

Rinkside
^Thanks annca for the link. I don't know Japanese but persevered watching the video when I saw Sashida Fumiya (love his interaction and friendship with Yuzuru and of course "Hana ni nare") and was rewarded with seeing an unexpected message from Evgeni Plushenko! I don't know whether his "see you soon" to Yuzuru was in reference to that much talked about return to competitive skating, but I thought it was sweet of him to tell Yuzuru that "You're my big idol."

Hello Maria Victori.
Here is a translation for the interview Yuzuru gave after the parade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTsx1-5HQSI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Translation of the interview Yuzuru gave after the parade.
He was in the TV studio with Fumiya Sashida

Male Announcer (MA): The parade as just ended and were will have Yuzuru Hanyu in the studio live in a few minutes. He is now bowing to the orchestra who are his juniors from Tohoku High School. He is just making his way towards the studio now. We can hear people applauding as he approaches the studio. The parade lasted a full 30 minutes and now he is on his way here. Ahhh, he has arrived. Please come in. Thank you for coming.
Female Announcer (FA): Ohhh. They are giving a “High Five”. First things first, congratulations.
Y: Thank you very much.
MA : Please have this doll, too. And again congratulations. Please be seated.
Y : From Yesterday Fumiya san is really exhausted. Look, he’s done in.
MA: Congratulations and thanks for your effort shere today. Please do both be seated. I can’t thank you enough for coming here today. You too must be very tired.
Y: No, no, no.
MA: I am so glad today that the weather was good and that the sun was shining.
Y: Yes, that’s true. It really felt very comfortable and nice and the parade went well.
MA: That’s good. Sorry to bother you again, but we need to put a mic on you.
Y: I can do the earphone. (Drops the earphone)…Yaah.
MA: You seem to be very well and you were able to enter and give Sashida san a high five. It seems that you really are close friends. We are glad that you can both be here today. Mr. Hanyu. I would like to ask you about the parade.
Y: Well there were so many people. I was told there were about, 100,000 people lining the route but from what I saw it looked like there were even more people than that. I am so very happy.
MA: Can you give us some of your impressions / thoughts.
Y: It was difficult to hear individual voices but here and there I could see banners and people holding signs and I felt that I was really being cheered for.
MA: Is that so. We talked with Sahida san before and we noted how the parade was designed to match you / your personality. Everybody was waving and you too were using both hands to wave to as many people as possible. What was your impression of it?
Y: What should I say about that. (Shashida pretends to hold a microphone for him). Is that how it is? Truly, even considering the great weather, I need to thank god for that, I was able to see for myself all of the people who supported me. For that I am truly happy.
MA: We want to see the gold medal. Where is your medal? Can someone please bring the medal? We really want to see it.
Y: My medal…… (doing the medal gesture). Can someone bring it? Please ask someone to bring it.
MA: They are really making you wait for it.
Y: It’s ok. I don’t mind.
MA: So are you often in touch with Sashida san?
Y: Yes. We usually use PC mail and we are quite often sending each other messages.
MA: What kind of things do you talk about?
Y: Really ordinary, not exciting stuff. Probably rather boring actually.
MA: Is that so? In the 2012 after the Japanese National you used “Hana ni nare”
Y:Yes.
MA: What did you use that song?
Y: At first the record company asked me to use the song when they gave it to me. But when I heard it I was totally absorbed by Sashida’s music. I quickly learned all of the words. In particular on the “Shiro Kuro” album I can sing all of the songs from memory.
MA: So you like to listen to it.
Y: There is a lot of piano music and when I am warming up and I need to be quiet and relax it is perfect for me. (Turns to Shashida) “Thank you very much”.
S: Don’t mention it.
MA: Turning back to the topic of the gold medal. You have often said that it is your way to thank all of the people who helped you to achieve it. What type of memories did you have when the medal was hung around your neck?
Y: When the medal was hung around my neck, I of course did have feelings of happiness, but I realised that it didn’t have any direct effect and it was just one thing. But then I started to think that it could be the starting point to help people who had been affected by the disaster.
MA: Well, today we have prepared a surprise for you.
Y: On live TV?
MA: From a special person, we have had a message sent to you. Please watch this.
Message from Pluschenko.
MA: Especially for the parade day, Pluschenko prepared that message. How do you feel that he sent you such a message?
Y: He is truly my idol. My hero. It is hard for me to accept it.
MA: We all heard Pluschenko say that you are his idol.
Y: Well, this season I did try my very best and even in the Olympics I was able to get a good result so I think that is a good thing.
MA: Ahhh finally, your medal has arrived. So, this is the real gold medal. Mr. Hanyu, you did so well to meet everyone’s high expectations for you, under tremendous pressure. With all of those feelings of expectation and pressure, what were you thinking when you were performing?
Y: I think of pressure as a wall and because it is a wall, if I can get over the wall I know I can become stronger. That is something I know. Unfortunately, during the free program I was very nervous.
MA: Well that’s only natural. But by the World Championships you had a triple grand slam. Do you still feel you need to get better?
Y: Well, of course I think I need to get better. I kind of want to enjoy the feeling, but I know in myself that I am still in my teens and that I need to do my best from now.
MA: Pluschenko said, in addition to the message he sent that you can do other types of quad jumps, and that if you do those other types of jumps you will become a new breed of skater. What do you think about that?
Y: At the moment I am able to land one other type of quad, the loop jump, and my lutz jump is just a little way off. In fact the lutz is the most difficult of all the quad jumps, but I’m nearly there with it. However, I want to practice properly, and slowly giving full consideration to my health.
MA: Looking forward based on the results of this year it seems that you are truly the number one world champion. What do you feel about that and what is your next goal? How are you going to move forward?
Y: Personally, I don’t really focus on the results. I was able to get those results in this season and I look on next season as a completely new set of competitions. I want to try to enjoy those new competitions and try to get some more titles.
MA: Sashida san would you like to comment?
S: Hanyu has that side to him where he just thinks he should carry on as normal and do what he usually does. I think that we can keep being friends for a long time.
Y: Thank you. (Laughing) It feels very strange to be here and talking like this. It’s like talking to a celebrity. It’s weird.
MA: To end the interview would you be so kind as to say a message to our viewers.
Y: Hello, I’m Hanyu yuzuru. Thank you so much for the wonderful parade today. Being able to present my results to the people here makes me very happy. Please know that I am going to do my very best from now on. I would like to count on your continued support.
MA: Even though the parade is over, you are still going to have some events in Sendai. Everyone is looking forward to that.
Y: Please come and attend the event.
MA: It is great that you can have some performances in your hometown. Thank you so much for coming to the studio today. Once again, congratulations.

channah

Rinkside
I saw the post on tumblr and got curious. There is a new interesting interview with Yuzu which starts at 4:23. He says about his future plans and goals as well as gives a special message for children. He talked so kindly and touchingly, I wish we had translation. If someone can translate, please help.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKyID55LGh0

Hello AlexSaytor
Will try to translate the interview if I get some time tomorrow.
Please wait a little.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
Anyways, the evolution of Yuzuru Hanyu and Evgeni Plushenko, they are so cute:
http://hanyuedits.tumblr.com/post/84112487742/the-evolution-of-yuzuru-hanyu-and-evgeni-plushenko
Thanks for sharing this. I love how much they respect each other. Hoping for great things from Yuzu, though I also hope there's not too much pressure on him. He is only nineteen and at the start of his career, after all, even if he is already Olympic champion. (And gotta agree with you, he shouldn't keep the Biellmann as long as Plush did if it's a huge strain on his body).

Yuzusan

On the Ice
Well in english or not, but when Yuzu tries to speak english, his accent is so so so cute ..... The cutest that I have never seen ...

giulia95

Medalist
Channah thank you very much for your hard job!!!:bow: :)

Y: I think of pressure as a wall and because it is a wall, if I can get over the wall I know I can become stronger. That is something I know.

this is a typical Yuzuthought!

jimeonji

Final Flight
There's a change on F/Lz. Unclear and wrong edge is going to cost more scores both in GOE and BV.

And some change in spins and the jumps in SP.

Hes going to have to work on his flip edge, definitely. He lips somtimes and has an unclear edge often, and it could be quite costly if he doesnt work on it. Pops being worth less wont affect him as much as it might affect Javi as he doesnt have as much of a tendency to pop jumps. Im mostly concerned for his flip - no one knows until competitons begin how the technical controller will call for e and ! so Yuzuru will need to make sure that he has clear inside edge on his flips to keep his scores high. I think we may see an overall lowering of scores om average of a few points - perhaps 300 will be elusive after all.

makaihime

Final Flight
Hes going to have to work on his flip edge, definitely. He lips somtimes and has an unclear edge often, and it could be quite costly if he doesnt work on it. Pops being worth less wont affect him as much as it might affect Javi as he doesnt have as much of a tendency to pop jumps. Im mostly concerned for his flip - no one knows until competitons begin how the technical controller will call for e and ! so Yuzuru will need to make sure that he has clear inside edge on his flips to keep his scores high. I think we may see an overall lowering of scores om average of a few points - perhaps 300 will be elusive after all.

Depending on how the tech panel will call his flip, he might not even bother working on it because he doesn't put more than one 3F in his programs and his Lutz's are fine. His edges are usually borderline and not completely obvious so the panel might give him a pass. He'll probably just test the waters early on and see what happens.

Someone in another thread mentioned 3Lz+1Lo+3S combos and I'm more curious to see how those would be judged with the 1lo :unsure:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Depending on how the tech panel will call his flip, he might not even bother working on it because he doesn't put more than one 3F in his programs and his Lutz's are fine. His flip edges are usually borderline and not completely obvious so the panel might give him a pass. He'll probably just test the waters early on and see what happens.
I hope he will pay attention to all of these details, because a point is a point, he won WC with 0.33 point so I hope he takes into account that he should gather every point from the tech panel as much as possible. Even it's the flip or the salchow. He needs to perfect all the jumps, if he wants to become a perfect skater.

makaihime

Final Flight
I hope he will pay attention to all of these details, because a point is a point, he won WC with 0.33 point so I hope he takes into account that he should gather every point from the tech panel as much as possible. Even it's the flip or the salchow. He needs to perfect all the jumps, if he wants to become a perfect skater.

No skater can be perfect, and to be honest--he has other things that he needs to take precedence over. If the calls aren't too serious he will most likely let it be since he has said he really doesn't like the flip and his flip has always had edge problems. But if they give him an 'e' then he'll need to put some work in it...I think he can do it but its more of a personal taste thing with his flips. :laugh: The kid just really doesn't like doing them.

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
He doesn't have to be the perfect skater. That's an awful a lot of pressure to put on him, even if he's Olympic champion at 19 (Chan's Canadian and eternally cursed :laugh:). I think he should fix the lip if it starts killing his marks, but it's not the first thing that comes to mind in terms of moulding him into a better skater. Consistency on that quad salchow would be much better. I'd much rather see a minor edge problem on a minor jump over a fall in the opening of the program.

Meoima

Match Penalty
No skater can be perfect, and to be honest--he has other things that he needs to take precedence over. If the calls aren't too serious he will most likely let it be since he has said he really doesn't like the flip and his flip has always had edge problems. But if they give him an 'e' then he'll need to put some work in it...I think he can do it but its more of a personal taste thing with his flips. :laugh: The kid just really doesn't like doing them.
I mean perfect in the "clean" way. He is not mature yet so he can develop, why not fixing the flip?
If I remember correctly, his flip at WC 2012 and GPF 2013 was clean and they even reward him with 1.2 and 1.4 GOE. So he as the ability to perform that flip alright, it's just he has other big elements to focus on. I hope he will fix it, along with the consistency of his 4S. As long as he stays clean, his performance in the program will produce flow. And that is his purpose. To produce a program with flow.
Of course, I would rather him stay on his feet than some +GOE on the flip. Anything he wants to do, I hope he will achieve it, just stand still.
So yes, fixing that 4S before everything else, please Yuzuru. :laugh: