Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 79 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

smasma

On the Ice
Maybe he's in a routine like: home - rink - home - rink - home - rink - therapy - home - rink - home - grocery - rest - rink?

Yeah, robot Yuzu is in full auto mode! :laugh:

He's too focused on skating and schooling to venture out farther than where he should be, except of course when there's baseball. :biggrin:

Well, baseball field might be a little bit out of his "comfort zone", but I'll give him a push and tell him to go for it any day! I'll even do it for Niagara Falls too! Perhaps after he graduate from university. He's too young to refine himself in his daily routine. He should see the world! :p

Meoima

Match Penalty
Concerning his SP, no one will be better than PW, in terms of fun and points. He reached a peak. He will continue to win but with less interesting program in the future I think.
His artistry is not yet at peak, as well as his jumps. In term of choreography, maybe it will not be as fun. But in term of improvement, Yuzuru has lots to improve. Speed, edges, posture, flow... Everything and I am sure he is aiming for that.

SuzyQ

Medalist
In Japan, there is a category of Manga or Anime, or maybe novels, called "Spokon", mixed word of Sports+Konjo (meaning guts), featuring heroes or heroines who devote themselves in sports.

For example, "Captain Tsubasa, AKA Flash Kicker", "The Prince of Tennis", "Aim for the Ace!", "Star of the Giants" (a bit old one :laugh:), and also there are figure skater stories including "Blizzard Axel".

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スポ根

Interestingly, there is an Italian Wiki about this. Maybe you can google this into English.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokon

Lots of Japanese (including me :biggrin:) are thinking Yuzuru's life is nothing but a "Spokon" :laugh:

Kalina

On the Ice
In Japan, there is a category of Manga or Anime, or maybe novels, called "Spokon", mixed word of Sports+Konjo (meaning guts), featuring heroes or heroines who devote themselves in sports.

For example, "Captain Tsubasa, AKA Flash Kicker", "The Prince of Tennis", "Aim for the Ace!", "Star of the Giants" (a bit old one :laugh:), and also there are figure skater stories including "Blizzard Axel".

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スポ根

Interestingly, there is an Italian Wiki about this. Maybe you can google this into English.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokon

Lots of Japanese are thinking Yuzuru's life is nothing but a "Spokon" :laugh:

I am not surprised there is an Italian wiki page, that genre of anime is extremely popular here :) with people in their 20s and 30s. People who otherwise are not interested in anime/manga or Japan, but who all grew up watching Captain Tsubasa and Attacker YOU! :laugh:

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Maybe he's in a routine like: home - rink - home - rink - home - rink - therapy - home - rink - home - grocery - rest - rink? He's too focused on skating and schooling to venture out farther than where he should be, except of course when there's baseball. :biggrin:

It's this dedication and focus that enabled Yuzu to become Olympic and World champion at the younge age of 19. There are so few teens who could accomplish this much. He really is special and one of a kind. :clap:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
It's this dedication and focus that enabled Yuzu to become Olympic and World champion at the younge age of 19. There are so few teens who could accomplish this much. He really is special and one of a kind. :clap:

Yes! The focus that he has is huge!. It would be nice if he also spends a little time on more activities though

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Yes! The focus that he has is huge!. It would be nice if he also spends a little time on more activities though

I think it's all about balance :yes: It's the focus that drives him to such success, but of course he needs to have time for other things as well, lest he burn out.

yhmafan

Medalist
Sometimes what surprises me is that he is still 19.
Considering his age, I think there is still a lot of room for improvement and I hope he will accomplish whatever he needs ,beyond my imagination ;)

lbc2138

On the Ice

I think any Olympic athlete can tell a similar story. So it doesn't surprise me nor do I feel the need to wish them of any other life style since it's their own goals they're trying to accomplish. When Michael Phelps was training for Beijing, all he literally did was eat, sleep and swim. These athletes put so much into their sport and it's only the results that we really get to witness.

firal

Record Breaker
You mean he didn't mention his beloved Pooh, earphones, or games in the interview??? :laugh: I am quite glad he at least have these things aside from skating that he loves.

SuzyQ

Medalist
I am not surprised there is an Italian wiki page, that genre of anime is extremely popular here :) with people in their 20s and 30s. People who otherwise are not interested in anime/manga or Japan, but who all grew up watching Captain Tsubasa and Attacker YOU! :laugh:

Thank you Kalina :yay:

I heard lots of famous Italian footballer read Captain Tsubasa when they were children and wanted be like Tsubasa-kun. This surprised Japanese people and made us happy as well. Also, the reason why Italian valleyball team has become strong is that girls loved Atacker YOU. It's so interesting and we are glad to hear that. Actually, I loved Atacker YOU (don't ask my age please), and my favorite is "Aim for the Ace!" :rock:

It is true that many children start a certain sport because of Manga or Anime in Japan, although there is not so many figure skating stories, maybe because figure skating was not a major sport here.

In any case, the keys of Spokon is sweat and tears, rivalry and friendship, and defeats and victory.

I really thought his victory of the Worlds 2014 was nothing but the Manga world :eek:

Wo|flax

Final Flight
Thank you Kalina :yay:

I heard lots of famous Italian footballer read Captain Tsubasa when they were children and wanted be like Tsubasa-kun. This surprised Japanese people and made us happy as well. Also, the reason why Italian valleyball team has become strong is that girls loved Atacker YOU. It's so interesting and we are glad to hear that. Actually, I loved Atacker YOU (don't ask my age please), and my favorite is "Aim for the Ace!" :rock:

It is true that many children start a certain sport because of Manga or Anime in Japan, although there is not so many figure skating stories, maybe because figure skating was not a major sport here.

In any case, the keys of Spokon is sweat and tears, rivalry and friendship, and defeats and victory.

I really thought his victory of the Worlds 2014 was nothing but the Manga world :eek:

hehe lots of his come from behind victories are manga-y. hell the grand prix series with Patrick was like someone had practically copied the plot from a manga lol. It's interesting he describes himself as like a manga hero, but the single-minded determination is like duh.
Not really related- I have not read any of the manga mentioned here (or heard of some of it even), I've only read recent sports manga :slink:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I love sport manga: Captain Tsubasa, Dash!, Hikaru no GO (can be called a sport?), Chihayafuru (<3), anything by Adachi Mitsuru, OOKIKU FURIKABUTTE, KUROKO NO BASUKE , 21 Eyeshild, Prince of Tennis (the frist series), Giant Killing, all are great.

There is actually a manga about Ice Dance called Kiss and Never Cry

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I love sport manga: Captain Tsubasa, Dash!, Hikaru no GO (can be called a sport?), Chihayafuru (<3), anything by Adachi Mitsuru, OOKIKU FURIKABUTTE, KUROKO NO BASUKE , 21 Eyeshild, Prince of Tennis (the frist series), Giant Killing, all are great.

There is actually a manga about Ice Dance called Kiss and Never Cry

One Outs is so underrated.. :cry:

Meoima

Match Penalty
Back to Yuzuru, now they are bashing his body type which I find quite absurd. I mean it's not much different from bashing lady skaters for their weight.
I am so :bang: for Yuzuru because of his stubborn on the layout. I mean, seriously I think he could just win with his previous layout of last season, why make it higher I don't get it. So worried for his body.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Back to Yuzuru, now they are bashing his body type which I find quite absurd. I mean it's not much different from bashing lady skaters for their weight.
I am so :bang: for Yuzuru because of his stubborn on the layout. I mean, seriously I think he could just win with his previous layout of last season, why make it higher I don't get it. So worried for his body.
where?

Meoima

Match Penalty
In a unrelated thread to Yuzuru and you shouldn't go there. I don't think we should all go there and talk back since the one who said that is obviously an anti. I hope for the conversation to die out.
I am worried about Yuzuru's new layout, but given his stubbornness I guess there is no other choice. I wish him the best so all the body-type bashing should just stop. They even say Yuzuru's fans use his asthma as the excuse for him not doing well. Excuse me, Yuzuru not doing well yet he completed 2 quads 8 triples without any fall, a program that no one ever capable of doing. :sarcasm:

Pamigena

Record Breaker
I guess it's just about raising the bar. And right now he pretty much is the bar, isn't he? *shrugs* add that to the list of things that are wrong with his body. Too bar-ish :sarcasm:

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
Sorry, the drawings are not my style, so even when I have seem the title never have read it before. Care do to a sumary about it ?

Oh, I know. The art took me a while to get used to. Basically a MLB player recruits this guy who's sort of a streetrat and causes a commotion for being a good gambler. He plays one outs, which is this one game that American soldiers introduced to Japanese citizens during the war (I think that's how the story went) where one batter and one pitcher go up against each other. The pitcher throws three times, if the batter hits any of them the batter wins, if they strike-out each time, the pitcher wins. The main guy isn't so great physically, but he's really good at reading people, so he knows what kind of 'balls' to throw at him. He ends up getting recruited and making bets with the owner of the baseball team and the other players. There's a lot of greed and cheating involved in the story.

Ahem ok back to Yuzu ;)