Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 40 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Today (March 11) is the third anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake, a pivotal moment for Yuzuru both as a skater and as a person. We could have easily lost him and the magical moments he has created on the ice then. Yuzuru seems so childlike in so many ways, but in the essential things (knowing what he wants and dedicating himself, heart. body, and soul to it, holding nothing back; thinking of others and not just focusing on himself), he is really so wise and mature beyond his years.

The Yomiuri Shimbun, 3/11/14
Sochi Olympic figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu is determined to continue skating, using his performances to remind people of the Great East Japan Earthquake and the people impacted by it. The following is an excerpt from an exclusive interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun.

I wanted to win a medal as a gift to Japan, which was devastated by the earthquake. That was part of my frame of mind at the Sochi Olympics. But when I actually won the gold medal, I was hit by a feeling of helplessness. It was because I realized a gold medal would not directly help with reconstruction. I even moved my training base to Canada from Sendai, where I was born and raised, to aim for a gold medal at the Sochi Olympics. But at the same I wondered whether it was really good for me to leave my hometown, which had been struck by the disaster.

Three years ago, at the moment the earthquake hit, I was practicing at an ice rink in Sendai. The ice surface rolled in waves, and I could barely stand up from terrible shaking. I thought I was going to die, and I fled from the rink, crying. The memory of what I saw then still comes back to haunt me. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from crying and I suffer from nightmares.

Once I thought about quitting skating. I realized something when I won a bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships thanks to the support of so many people: I skated to encourage people affected by the disaster, but in reality I was the one who was being supported.

The same goes for the Olympics. I was driven forward by the cheering. The gold medal victory wasn’t my work alone, but the work of everybody who supported me.

As a gold medalist, I began to understand what I should do. I will continue skating to share my message: “Don’t forget the devastated areas.”

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Today (March 11) is the third anniversary of the Great East Japan Earthquake), a pivotal moment for Yuzuru both as a skater and as a person. We could have easily lost him and the magical moments he has created on the ice then. Yuzuru seems so childlike in so many ways, but in the essential things (knowing what he wants and dedicating himself heart. body, and soul for it, holding nothing back; thinking of others and not just focusing on himself), he is really so wise and mature beyond his years.

Sochi Olympic figure skating champion Yuzuru Hanyu is determined to continue skating, using his performances to remind people of the Great East Japan Earthquake and the people impacted by it. The following is an excerpt from an exclusive interview with The Yomiuri Shimbun.

I wanted to win a medal as a gift to Japan, which was devastated by the earthquake. That was part of my frame of mind at the Sochi Olympics. But when I actually won the gold medal, I was hit by a feeling of helplessness. It was because I realized a gold medal would not directly help with reconstruction. I even moved my training base to Canada from Sendai, where I was born and raised, to aim for a gold medal at the Sochi Olympics. But at the same I wondered whether it was really good for me to leave my hometown, which had been struck by the disaster.

Three years ago, at the moment the earthquake hit, I was practicing at an ice rink in Sendai. The ice surface rolled in waves, and I could barely stand up from terrible shaking. I thought I was going to die, and I fled from the rink, crying. The memory of what I saw then still comes back to haunt me. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from crying and I suffer from nightmares.

Once I thought about quitting skating. I realized something when I won a bronze medal at the 2012 World Championships thanks to the support of so many people: I skated to encourage people affected by the disaster, but in reality I was the one who was being supported.

The same goes for the Olympics. I was driven forward by the cheering. The gold medal victory wasn’t my work alone, but the work of everybody who supported me.

As a gold medalist, I began to understand what I should do. I will continue skating to share my message: “Don’t forget the devastated areas.”

:cry: he is amazing. I'm glad he was able to overcome that difficult situation and use it to be better. I remember when I saw the news about the tragedy, I hope everything is going better there.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
I thought I was going to die, and I fled from the rink, crying. The memory of what I saw then still comes back to haunt me. Sometimes I can’t stop myself from crying and I suffer from nightmares.

The gold medal victory wasn’t my work alone, but the work of everybody who supported me."

Poor kid. I feel like saying a big "thank you" to all those who encouraged him not to give up skating.

chloepoco

Medalist
Hanyu is an amazing person; he seems so delicate, yet, he's so strong. Wishing him the best, with more gold medals along the way!

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I also do appreciate the sentiment and share the same concern. I notice whenever he falls, he lands on his left hip. A lot. Hopefully he's doing some off-ice training in order to help perfect his quad before just going out there and jumping until he lands it. I think his way of going about jumps have definitely improved from the time he was with coach Nanami to Orser. It may not seem like it when it comes to competition but he doesn't fall as badly with Orser. Of course that could also just be attributed to his growth as a brilliant skater. It's kind of hard to pinpoint what's working exactly.

But this is the main diffrence between good sportsman and the great sportsman. Great will be always pushing to break new limits :)

I am courious what programs he will have next season. ( I think Rome style role fits him really well, it's something special around him in this programs ) Maybe something more dramatic, something like he had in 2012 LP on Worlds. I also liked his 2011 SP program style and his blue costume

Crylais

Rinkside
I'm still an idiot when it comes to the technical stuff, so forgive me for asking a possibly very stupid question :biggrin:
what makes a 4A more dangerous than other 4-jumps?
(to my untrained eye those jumps all look like you could break your neck doing them)

I am no technical expert but essentially a 4A requires an extra half rotation compared to other jumps. This means you have to rotate faster in the same given time and as we all know the faster you fly the harder you hit.

Right now skaters can get the rotations on other quads but just not land because the edge caught the ice or ankle landed incorrectly. With the 4A you will still be in rotating motion (if you get the same rotations as other quad)? So you are not ready to land hence more prone to injury? I dunno I am just speculating hahaha

giulia95

Medalist

Maria Victoria ,thanks for sharing!

I really hope Yuzuru will finally be able to get rid of his sense of guilt and betrayal feelings and will reach some peace of mind after Worlds, he really needs and deserves it . He gave everything he had , he was simply magic.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Maria Victoria ,thanks for sharing!

I really hope Yuzuru will finally be able to get rid of his sense of guilt and betrayal feelings and will reach some peace of mind after Worlds, he really needs and deserves it . He gave everything he had , he was simply magic.

You're welcome :) Previously, Yuzuru, young as he was (and still is) felt pressure as the hope of Tohoku, the region hardest hit by the earthquake and did not want to be labelled as the skater from that region and be an object of pity; but apparently he has now made peace with and embraced that identity, and I think in so doing is well on his way to winning against his demons of, as you put it, "guilt and betrayal."

This is what he said in the aftermath of 3.11: "There were incredibly difficult times, and there were great joys. I think I became able to handle a wider range of emotion because of these experiences. The joy I felt back in April [2011] when I skated for the first time in front of an audience was greater than any joy I felt before. Because of the disaster, I experienced stronger emotions than I ever felt before. I feel like I need to express these emotions, and also I feel like I am more capable of expressing them now." And thus bringing joy to us fortunate to have watched him skate.

giulia95

Medalist
You're welcome :) Previously, Yuzuru, young as he was (and still is) felt pressure as the hope of Tohuku, the region hardest hit by the earthquake and did not want to be labelled as the skater from that region and be an object of pity; but apparently he has now made peace with and embraced that identity, and I think in so doing is well on his way to winning against his demons of, as you put it, "guilt and betrayal."

This is what he said in the aftermath of 3.11: "There were incredibly difficult times, and there were great joys. I think I became able to handle a wider range of emotion because of these experiences. The joy I felt back in April [2011] when I skated for the first time in front of an audience was greater than any joy I felt before. Because of the disaster, I experienced stronger emotions than I ever felt before. I feel like I need to express these emotions, and also I feel like I am more capable of expressing them now." And thus bringing joy to us fortunate to have watched him skate.

I remember the shocking news about the earthquake very well, for some days nobody knew if Yuzuru was alive and safe.... then he struggled to overcome his feelings about quitting skating and finally embraced his new “Tohoku skater” identity during the 60 summer shows he performed all over Japan since he refused to go abroad to train .

Now it’s time to overcome his betrayl feelings and demons because he had to leave his hometown behind to move to a foreign country , and to be in peace with himself.It has been a very long and painful journey.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Now it’s time to overcome his betrayl feelings and demons because he had to leave his hometown behind to move to a foreign country , and to be in peace with himself.It has been a very long and painful journey.

I can't imagine having to deal with all of that at such a young age. While he is 19 and they always emphasize how super young he is during competitions, he is definitely matured beyond his years with the earthquake, the decision to leave home and going forth to represent an area that was worst hit. If that's not adversity, I don't know what is. He has certainly become my new source of inspiration!

Keep those that were affected during 3/11/11 and the people who still don't have a permanent home today. A lot of them are in the Sendai area, a place that Yuzu's done a good job of bringing attention to since the media had lost interest in it.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
I remember the shocking news about the earthquake very well, for some days nobody knew if Yuzuru was alive and safe.... then he struggled to overcome his feelings about quitting skating and finally embraced his new “Tohoku skater” identity during the 60 summer shows he performed all over Japan since he refused to go abroad to train .

I think Yuzuru's feelings of guilt and betrayal (such a heavy burden for someone so young) started even before the move to Canada after the 2012 Worlds, although the latter certainly exacerbated it. The CBC commentary in the 2011 CoR quotes his coach (Nanami Abe) as saying that after the disaster Yuzuru "went through a lot of guilt wrestling with his privileged status as a skater being able to leave the area." Since the ice rink in Sendai was damaged, he used the 60 tour shows as his practice, refining his first Romeo and Juliet program, a process that culminated in the masterpiece that is his 2012 World Championships free program. He was able to channel his emotions in that performance.

Like you, I wish and pray for his healing and also for those who are still suffering from privation as a result of the earthquake. My country has also gone through a natural disaster (Typhoon Haiyan) so I am aware of how important Yuzuru's advocacy is to keep the situation of the survivors who aren't still able to return to their "normal lives" in the public consciousness.

Becki

Medalist
I think Yuzuru's feelings of guilt and betrayal (such a heavy burden for someone so young) started even before the move to Canada after the 2012 Worlds, although the latter certainly exacerbated it. The CBC commentary in the 2011 CoR quotes his coach (Nanami Abe) as saying that after the disaster Yuzuru "went through a lot of guilt wrestling with his privileged status as a skater being able to leave the area." Since the ice rink in Sendai was damaged, he used the 60 tour shows as his practice, refining his first Romeo and Juliet program, a process that culminated in the masterpiece that is his 2012 World Championships free program. He was able to channel his emotions

Like you, I wish and pray for his healing and also for those who are still suffering from privation as a result of the earthquake. My country has also gone through a natural disaster (Typhoon Haiyan) so I am aware of how important Yuzuru's advocacy is to keep the situation of the survivors who aren't still able to return to their "normal lives" in the public consciousness.

Well said. I think Yuzuru is too harsh on himself sometimes. But he's just an admirable character, someone who is a true inspiration to me.

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Guys I finally found a video of the medal ceremony at sochi, for those who wanted to see it here is the link (it's a fancam):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgf1aby6qTQ

Thank you for sharing. :) So much emotion and beautiful gestures. Yuzuru bowing first before leaping on the podium and singing along as is his wont as the Japanese national anthem is being played. Patrick Chan taking off his cap as a sign of respect for the national flag and anthem of the rival who has edged him out for Olympic gold. Dennis Ten beaming at winning an Olympic medal, something many thought was beyond him in an injury-plagued season. This is what the Olympics is really all about.