Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 54 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Machida got 169 at the FS in Sochi with a very good performance. Yuzu got 193 points at the GPF with a fall. The kid still has a good chance to win (and maybe not so much pressure anymore)

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
Yuzuru showed his fighting qualities today. From the outset he looked nervous and very young (perhaps because of the haircut?) to me. I am praying for a stellar skate from him in the free. The day off hopefully will give him time to gather himself to focus on what he needs to do to win (land the quad salchow, etc.). He can do it.

phaeljones

On the Ice
Oh, I just came back for school and I'm very sad to see the results. However, I still believe the kid can win. Maybe it's a good thing he isn't the first one after the SP and he'll have a reaction similar to Mao's at Sochi.
Go Yuzu!:clap:

And he did not give up. His score and skate are pretty impressive even with the fall. That is character, even under adversity.

If his fs can be made equal to his character, the adversity of pressure on his 4S can be defeated and he can skate a whole clean program and win. I am so hoping.

Go Yuzu! :clap:

roxella

On the Ice
Yes,that's what I've noticed too...Yuzu was so ,so nervous today;before his program I thought he might faint...But now that the pressure it's not so big on him,I hope he'll perform a PERFECT LP and win!! I know he can do this! He is a fighter! GO YUZU!!:yay::clap:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Well SP is over. Yuzuru really seemed nervous during the warm up and that reflected since he fell on 4T, everthing else was well performed though. I think that being in 3rd place will push him to make a good FS like at worlds 2013. For now just rest Yuzu ;)

HanDomi

Record Breaker
Somehow I feel now he will have less pressure going to free, and he still have very good chance of winning it if he will be clean :)

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Now I am ok with the fact that I couldn't watch the SP. I don't want to see the videos right now and I'm sorry to hear that he looked nervous. Probably there were too high expectations and this didn't help him at all. Poor kid. :(

He can win, it only depends on him. And I can't wait to see that beautiful R&J program again!

exholica

Spectator
I'm still proud of him no matter what! But darn D: since his 4T is so beautiful and he's usually so, so good at it :) I don't even remember the last time he fell on it...but then again, my memory isn't that great. I think he was nervous and tense because of the Olympics, people are expecting more than ever from him. I hope he does well in the free though, because he definitely wants to prove himself there. But overall I think he did a fantastic job and had such a positive attitude about his SP because even though he fell he still thought he did well on the rest of his jumps and instead of worrying over that he just decided to focus on doing better in the FP.

HanDomi

Record Breaker
I'm still proud of him no matter what! But darn D: since his 4T is so beautiful and he's usually so, so good at it :) I don't even remember the last time he fell on it...but then again, my memory isn't that great. I think he was nervous and tense because of the Olympics, people are expecting more than ever from him. I hope he does well in the free though, because he definitely wants to prove himself there. But overall I think he did a fantastic job and had such a positive attitude about his SP because even though he fell he still thought he did well on the rest of his jumps and instead of worrying over that he just decided to focus on doing better in the FP.

I think there is one positiive thing about today's performance. This fall didn't affected the rest of the program at all in his mind. He was going after the fall like a unstoppable tank, like the fall didn't happened. I think that's why Brian looked so proud after the performance :agree:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I think there is one positiive thing about today's performance. This fall didn't affected the rest of the program at all in his mind. He was going after the fall like a unstoppable tank, like the fall didn't happened. I think that's why Brian looked so proud after the performance :agree:

I noticed that too, he looked happy with his performance and that's all that matters for me

exholica

Spectator
I noticed that too, he looked happy with his performance and that's all that matters for me

Yup! Yuzuru's happiness matters the most ^__^ But I'm just a little sad because PW is my all-time favorite SP haha! It's just so charismatic and I love that side of Yuzuru heh. It's too bad we'll probaboly never see it again...I guess I'm still hoping possible EX performances heh

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
I see a pattern emerging. Is this not the third year in a row, where Hanyu has "underperformed" in his short program, at the world championships?

At World's 2012 he was 7th after the short program. He had his back against the wall... but he produced THAT Romeo and Juliet FS, and fought his way onto the podium.

At World's 2013 he was 9th after the short program, and his back was against the wall again - Japan's 3 Olympic/World places were in jeopardy! But despite being not fully fit... he fought his way back up to 4th place (the best finish of the 3 Japanese men).... did his part to secure Japan's 3 Olympic places... and justified his National Champion status.

Now it's World's 2014. His isn't exactly cornered, and 91 is a huge score by anyone else's standards. But I am still betting he is furious with himself, and wants to "prove" himself. He's going to have to fight to stay in a podium position, and doubly so if he wants better than bronze.

So I think we may be about to witness another one of his breath-taking, historic, hurricane-force free skates! BE PREPARED! :-D GO YUZU!

By the way, to me he looked really tired at the SP - bags/rings under his eyes? Perhaps pressure is affecting his sleep? I hope he can relax and get enough rest over the next day or so...

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
I see a pattern emerging. Is this not the third year in a row, where Hanyu has "underperformed" in his short program, at the world championships?

At World's 2012 he was 7th after the short program. He had his back against the wall... but he produced THAT Romeo and Juliet FS, and fought his way onto the podium.

At World's 2013 he was 9th after the short program, and his back was against the wall again - Japan's 3 Olympic/World places were in jeopardy! But despite being not fully fit... he fought his way back up to 4th place (the best finish of the 3 Japanese men).... did his part to secure Japan's 3 Olympic places... and justified his National Champion status.

Now it's World's 2014. His isn't exactly cornered, and 91 is a huge score by anyone else's standards. But I am still betting he is furious with himself, and wants to "prove" himself. He's going to have to fight to stay in a podium position, and doubly so if he wants better than bronze.

So I think we may be about to witness another one of his breath-taking, historic, hurricane-force free skates! BE PREPARED! :-D GO YUZU!

By the way, to me he looked really tired at the SP - bags/rings under his eyes? Perhaps pressure is affecting his sleep? I hope he can relax and get enough rest over the next day or so...

I think the same, I'm totally ready if that's the case :popcorn:

Vanilla Smile

Rinkside
Despite Yuzu's fall, he could handle the pressure very well throughout the SP. When he started he sighed, he was clearly very nervous and stiff. But in the second part he gained a bit more of confidence, and then more and more...
I really think the fall was not anything negative. It will help him to motivate for the LP and he will have less pressure on his shoulders as well.
GO GO YUZU!!! :clap:

Rinkside
The beginning was so creepy, and then the rest of the SP was so cute. At first he looked like he was thinking 'OMG, OMG, everyone is staring at me, what the hell should I do now', as if they were going to hang him on a tree if he's not absolutely perfect, and then at some point it was like a burden was lifted off of his shoulders, like something clicked in his mind right then and he knew he obviously wasn't going to be perfect and there was no need to worry about it anymore, but he could still be awesome. And his smiles at the end weren't like the strained ones he sometimes makes after a bad skate, it was like 'Ok, guys, I kinda messed up at the start, but you know what, I'm relieved now and it wasn't so bad after all'.
At some moments right after the end of the program he looked like he wanted to burst out laughing, like he was so amused with the whole thing.
This certainly wasn't a perfect SP, but, in a way, it was so interesting to watch with all these transformations of what he felt. And, like everyone else, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great FS after this.

chea

Rinkside
The beginning was so creepy, and then the rest of the SP was so cute. At first he looked like he was thinking 'OMG, OMG, everyone is staring at me, what the hell should I do now', as if they were going to hang him on a tree if he's not absolutely perfect, and then at some point it was like a burden was lifted off of his shoulders, like something clicked in his mind right then and he knew he obviously wasn't going to be perfect and there was no need to worry about it anymore, but he could still be awesome. And his smiles at the end weren't like the strained ones he sometimes makes after a bad skate, it was like 'Ok, guys, I kinda messed up at the start, but you know what, I'm relieved now and it wasn't so bad after all'.

At some moments right after the end of the program he looked like he wanted to burst out laughing, like he was so amused with the whole thing.
This certainly wasn't a perfect SP, but, in a way, it was so interesting to watch with all these transformations of what he felt. And, like everyone else, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a great FS after this.

THIS! I didn't realize until about halfway through his program that I wasn't breathing lol After his 4T, as always he continued so strong but still it seemed he was fighting with himself to let go of everything and skate freely…then to me it seemed around 2.40 finally he let go of everything and every move he made was full of his passion and energy and I couldn't stop the smile. :) One thing I love watching Hanyu skate; I feel like he always takes us with him on his journey through the program and I think that is a special ability he has. I am glad that in the interview after, he said in the end, he is honestly happy because he was able to do what he originally intended - to have fun and enjoy his last time skating PW in competition, even though of course he is frustrated with the 4T and plans to focus carefully for LP on Friday. From the interview, it sounds like his goal now is to just be himself and focus on what is right before him, and I think if he can do this the season will end well for him regardless what happens with the medals.
Hanzu fighting!!!

I meant to say - I just found this forum, so Hi, I am new here :) I watched Hanyu skate in summer 2010 and followed his journey over last 4 years, so it is wonderful to see how far he come, and now to see him end this time at Saitama Worlds. It will be emotional ending the season, but already I am excited for what he can do next, and I know he is kind of person to face forward properly and continue with all his heart!

treeloving

Medalist
THIS! I didn't realize until about halfway through his program that I wasn't breathing lol After his 4T, as always he continued so strong but still it seemed he was fighting with himself to let go of everything and skate freely…then to me it seemed around 2.40 finally he let go of everything and every move he made was full of his passion and energy and I couldn't stop the smile. :) One thing I love watching Hanyu skate; I feel like he always takes us with him on his journey through the program and I think that is a special ability he has. I am glad that in the interview after, he said in the end, he is honestly happy because he was able to do what he originally intended - to have fun and enjoy his last time skating PW in competition, even though of course he is frustrated with the 4T and plans to focus carefully for LP on Friday. From the interview, it sounds like his goal now is to just be himself and focus on what is right before him, and I think if he can do this the season will end well for him regardless what happens with the medals.
Hanzu fighting!!!

I meant to say - I just found this forum, so Hi, I am new here :) I watched Hanyu skate in summer 2010 and followed his journey over last 4 years, so it is wonderful to see how far he come, and now to see him end this time at Saitama Worlds. It will be emotional ending the season, but already I am excited for what he can do next, and I know he is kind of person to face forward properly and continue with all his heart!

Welcome! When I watched him at junior world 2010, I think this guy will be an olympic champion one day, It is great to see his development and growing up process.

Btw, I still wonder why his 4T is called ur though.

lbc2138

On the Ice
Haha I howled like a banshee when he fell. But for some reason I had expected it. He had a lot of speed going into that quad toe. More than usual, and it seemed like he lost control. But I think that's a good thing since speed will give him more power in the jumps. Now it's about him controlling it for the free program. He's had a history of doing poorly in the SP and then doing amazing in the FS just because he has something to prove. If the trend that we see with his past World Championships, he could pull in the gold.

But even if he doesn't, it doesn't invalidate his gold medal on any level at all. I hope he isn't too hard on himself, I read this interview (link below) and he just seems super perfectionist but very mature. It's all mind over matter at this point since we know what he's perfectly capable of.

http://hanyusan.tumblr.com/post/80800860310/yuzuru-hanyu-interview-after-worlds-sp

I think his mindset is one of the most interesting ones out there. He first and foremost competes with himself, but he recognizes talent and greatness in others as well.