Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 37 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

sweet_Michelle

Rinkside
Yuzuru, I am so proud of you!!! You skated for Japan's 3 Sochi spots without regard to your own health. You are a true hero.

I hope that when you go back home, Japanese media will have only good things to say about you, and not focus on not getting a medal (THAT's going to make me mad). Be proud of yourself Yuzuru!!! And please, take care of your health -- I still want to see you in the next two Olympics!

Couldn't agree more!

Yuzu really fought for Japan's 3 spots, and 4th, 6th and 8th is actually not bad, congrates on securing 3 spot!

But...seems Yuzu hurt his right ankle again during 6min warm-up...please take care of yourself Yuzu, I'd rather see you not to skate than skate with injury...Hope he'll skip EX and WTT.

yude

Record Breaker
yude, is that not true? because if it weren't, that's so sad. I hate it when people just care about medals and not about all the hard work and injuries these athletes have to go through to give a good show. :(

Well, SOME people and the media are like that. They like "who' s falt is that?" kind of things.
Maybe it is the same for other contries.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Here's a recent article on Men's FS. http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20130316-OHT1T00061.htm

Translating Yuzuru's comments (too literal, sorry -- but I hope I get the message across):

Yuzuru: "It was fighting spirit. My knee and ankle are injured, but I thought I would strive to complete it even if I collapse at the end. I have this immense feeling of achievement. I thought practice is really important."

This is really touching, Yuzu. Such fighting spirit. I salute you. :'(

Thanks, sampaguita! Really proud of our boy. =) And agree with everyone that he should skip EX and WTT.

Becki

Medalist
Omgerd did Hanyu come back fighting! I'm sorry I ever doubted him :bow:
Did he say that his knee felt sore when he was in the KnC with Wilson? I hope he didn't end up making the injury much worse than it could have been. I still stand by what I said that he should stand down if he is injured.
Did anyone think that Hanyu could have gotten a bit more in PCS for his free?

Yes, I think he deserved more than 80.

sampaguita

Rinkside
News article about Yuzu:

Translation (yude and zydeco88, could you please double check? I'm especially unsure about the last sentence. I'm also not sure if all the direct quotes were from Yuzuru himself, or if they were said by somebody else. Thanks!):

He couldn't even stand. When Hanyu finished his program, he knelt on the ice with both knees and fell forward. "I was out of breath and my foot was hurting I couldn't move. But I said thank you to the ice." It was a free program in which the 18-year-old gave his body and soul.

It was a miraculous skate, considering what happened two days ago at the SP. He was able to land his opening quad toe. Despite having his hand on the ice in the quad salchow, the jump he kept missing in major international competitions this season, he still landed it. To conserve his energy, he decreased his speed in his spins and step sequences, but he was able to complete all 7 jumps as planned. "I wouldn't be satisfied with it if I were in my best condition, but I had a great sense of achievement."

In February, he rested for 10 days because of a cold, and he also injured his left knee. Without disclosing all of this (to the media), he sunk to 9th place in the SP. The World Championships is an important event that determines the number of slots for the Sochi Olympics. "As a Japanese representative, I feel I have no excuse (?). But now that I'm here, I think that I have to finish this without any abstention." In practice this morning, his old injury in his right ankle grew worse. However, without turning away from the responsibility placed upon him, he contributed to Japan's securing the maximum of 3 spots for Sochi.

It has been a year since he has transferred to Canada. He ended this season, where he has improved so much, with a difficult fight, but once again he has shown his strength of spirit. "The Olympics will be held next year. I have to work on basic physical strength so I won't injure myself." He faces this season amidst this feelings of regret. <sorry, not so sure about the last sentence.>

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Hanyu didn't give up in the FS :clap:
he has health issues but placing 4th is already commendable

my eternal dream is for Hanyu to OGM in Sochi
He will be back , Prince of FS waiting to finally sit in his throne

FTnoona

Final Flight
Yes, I think he deserved more than 80.

Now that I think about, 80 is reasonable for what he put out there. The low PE score is understandable because he showed his exhaustion and the last footwork sequence was quite subdued as a result. The range in his TR score from competition to competition is a bit strange since he doesn't really do his program that much differently competition to competition, but I guess the judges really put an emphasis on quality which would explain why he got 8.07 at 4CC and 7.75 at worlds :think:

Hoping that he is gonna get a nice R&R period after worlds for all his injuries to heal. It might be good for Hanyu to do less shows next season so he can have enough energy to peak at Sochi.

Omg is the old ankle injury the one from '12 worlds? He has a bum right ankle and left knee? He's Kobe Bryant-ing his way through his programs :no:

sampaguita

Rinkside
Here's another news article. I can't believe he actually said the statement in bold.

"It was fighting spirit...". He didn't have enough strength in his body. Hanyu, injured all over, collapsed on the ice after his performance.

He took medicine for his left knee which was injured just before the competition, but the pain didn't go away completely. Because he gave his all in his first performance on the first day, he fell twice even in the 6 minute warmup. This time, he injured his right ankle.

However, when he began his performance, he succeeded on his opening quad. His next quad was underrotated and his right hand touched the ice on landing, but he didn't fall. With a score of 169.05, he got a combined total of 244.99 including the SP.

What roused Hanyu was a sense of responsibility as a representative of Japan. To get the maximum of 3 spots for the Sochi Olympics like in Vancouver, the top 2 athletes must get a combined placement of 13 or better. A lot was expected of the Japanese champion (lit. king of all-Japan). "I felt that to say that I shouldn't challenge myself because of my condition is inexcusable, but I thought that I would aim to complete this until the end."

Before he injured his left knee, he had influenza for which he took a 20-day leave <I think this is wrong, he only missed 10 days>, and he felt his lack of practice. "I thought that everything that I've worked for in a year, I am not going to lose in a month." He was saved from his own dilemma by his training in Toronto.

Yuzuru, I admire you. I really, really do. And I'm happy that the Japanese media appreciated your hard work instead of bashing you for not getting a medal. Thank you Yuzu. Thank you.

Last edited:

yude

Record Breaker
http://pigeon-post.net/events/2013Worlds/quotes.html#G3

"Once I was better I went to training too hard without Brian (Orser). I should have taken a slow start, but I trained too hard, did quad toe and quad Salchow. "

I want to believe he finally learned something from this experience.
Nice comment from Javi, too!

Sampaguita, your work is just fine!!
I always thank you for your information and translations :)

treeloving

Medalist
Yuzu is just so strong, he really have champion mentality, but next time please care about your health first!

I think his 80 was deserved, except I will give him +10 bonus for his fighting spirit and being adorable!

giulia95

Medalist
Thank you Yuzu! My samurai!:cry:

Little Yuzu,you're umbelivable! Go back home and restore yourself, your health, your life, your skating and your magic -wild-raw-passionate artistry!

Next year i want to see you point your finger to the sky again !

sampaguita

Rinkside
http://pigeon-post.net/events/2013Worlds/quotes.html#G3

"Once I was better I went to training too hard without Brian (Orser). I should have taken a slow start, but I trained too hard, did quad toe and quad Salchow. "

I want to believe he finally learned something from this experience.
Nice comment from Javi, too!

Sampaguita, your work is just fine!!
I always thank you for your information and translations :)

Thank you yude! I'm glad the translations are okay. I also thank you for all your contributions to this forum. :) I always appreciate it when someone does the translating for me!

I'm glad that Yuzuru made this comment -- I hope he has learned to listen to his body and not to overtrain.

figuristka

Medalist
I was yelling "good boy" every time he landed a jump in his FS. Adore him always. Proud of his skate after the bad short. Hope he is healthy next year.

ser22

On the Ice
Little Yuzu,you're umbelivable! Go back home and restore yourself, your health, your life, your skating and your magic -wild-row-passionate artistry!

Next year i want to see you point your finger to the sky again !

Yes!:agree:

Tommmy

Rinkside
Yuzu is just so strong, he really have champion mentality, but next time please care about your health first!

I think his 80 was deserved, except I will give him +10 bonus for his fighting spirit and being adorable!

Lol, ITA :biggrin:

Lunna

On the Ice
Thank you Yuzuru for your fighting spirit! It was an amazing skate, so proud of you!
Also thanks for all translations in these thread)))
I hope that Yuzuru and B.Orser will learn a lot from these season and next will only be better! Now Yuzuru must take a rest and take care of his health and then we will wait for new amazing programs! (I surely will miss this year's SP)

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Yuzuru: "It was fighting spirit. My knee and ankle are injured, but I thought I would strive to complete it even if I collapse at the end. I have this immense feeling of achievement. "
(

So so happy he managed to skate the way he wanted to under the circumstances, I agree with the poster who said he has a champion's mentality. So proud to be a fan! Hopefully he'll skip WTT to focus on healing up and that no further damage was done to his knee... His team has serious work to do in coming up with a better method to keep him healthy heading into next season. I'm starting to think he's got a bit of a hot-headed teenager approach to his training though, and I don't agree that his health and injury problems can be entirely blamed on his coaching team. He's got to learn to be responsible about his well being and not do things like overtraining while away from his coach or practicing quads in secret. That's got to come from him, it's part of the growing process.

I think 80 PCS was a fair enough mark, but it definitely could've been higher when considered in the context of some of the other skaters' scores. Not to take anything away from him, but Javi pretty much won the bronze over Yuzuru based on the 5 PCS differential between them. It'd be a bit more understandable if Javi had another Euros kind of skate here, but :think:.