Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 31 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

Elsa G

Rinkside
Whether Yan is 16 ,18 or 19 has nothing to do with yuzu and 2013 4CC in Osaka is not 2005 Asian Novice Championship in Hongkong,where hanyu lost to Yan.I don't think yuzu cares about Yan's age,after all he did not lost to Yan this time;)

zydeco88

On the Ice
KozuS at tieba put this season's SP outings side by side:

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNTE0MTgzMjk2.html

Thanks. :yay:

2013 4CC Post-FS Interview - Yuzuru Hanyu
I ended today's performance feeling fairly refreshed. Well, I can finally relax tomorrow (Feb 10), so all is good. As I thought, my jumps were glaringly unstable, all of them, including the ones that I managed to land and the ones that I didn't. I kind of lost the feel for the jumps, and that caused my self-confidence to crumble a bit. Because of this, I think I need to properly adjust my condition as I prepare for the next competition.

- Hasn't your condition been good since yesterday?
Well, I was in a good condition. Regardless, I made those kinds of mistakes, so it was really regrettable. 'What's done is done, it can't be helped' (smiles bitterly), there are times when those thoughts cross my mind, but I'm glad this didn't happen at Worlds. Brian also told me that "Our ultimate goal has always been the Worlds Championships", so I'd like to solve the issues (I've encountered) while getting rid of the things that we need to reflect on towards the next competition.

- Regarding the misses in the second half (Tacked 2T instead of 3T at the back of 3A; Singled the Lutz)
As I thought, the failed attempt at 4S disrupted my concentration a bit and I was also subjected to (mental) pressure. I tend to start losing focus once the competition starts, so, I need to reconsider and give it some thought.
This time, I was so occupied with the quad sal that the mistakes in the second half didn't really drive me up the wall, or rather, it didn't really bother me as much. In retrospect, it was quite vexing to miss on the quad sal that I've been focusing on.
As for the other jumping passes I missed, I was doing well with them during practices and I seldom miss them, so I don't beat myself up over the mistakes. I had successfully landed them in other competitions and I was quite confident about those jumps, so I think I was quite shaken up by the mistake on the quad sal.

*On Quad Salchow - the main focus of this competition*
- On the mistake (doubling the 4S)
I can only smile bitterly at it. "I messed it up!", that's the first thing that came across my mind the minute I jumped. They were looking good during the official practices prior to the competition, and I was able to consistently land them successfully. So, I'm making sure not to forget the feel for it. Going into Worlds, I'd like to strive harder while keeping in mind that I need to keep practicing until I can properly execute it at competition.

- On the cause of the mistake
Well, I was nervous (smiles bitterly). When nerves kick in, I end up thinking about a lot of things and my body stiffens. I aim to be able to properly land them even under such condition.
When it comes to competition, it's really hard (to deal with it). Pressure is bound to be there regardless of the genre of sports you are doing. What's unique about this discipline is that it requires us to 'skate alone on the ice'. Under such circumstances, there are times when even the slightest feeling of detachment or disruption in our field of vision can distract us.

- On practicing it together back-to-back with 4T
Up until now, I've been practicing (quad sals) as individual jumping passes without being accompanied by the music. I started with triple toe, followed by quad toe and lastly quad sal, I did it in such successive order. I was able to land them during the official practices and have gotten the hang of it, but I failed to deliver at the competition. It can't be helped, I guess, I'm going to practice more!
Regarding quad toes, I'm pretty much confident about them and the fact that I've been doing them since last season is a large factor as to why I have nearly not made any mistakes with them this season and as to why I have been able to land them successfully in the free. That leaves me with the quad sal issue, anyhow, I'll do something about it!

*Regarding your preparation for Worlds*
Anyway, I really have to work on the consistency of my jumps. Apart from that, I've still had troubles of losing my focus half-way, I want to get rid of that. I'd like to get on with practices that will enable me to hold my stamina until the end even under nerve-wracking situation. After returning (to my training base), I'd also like to do training sessions that simulate real competition, something like rehearsals. I'm also taking into consideration doing run-throughs of my free skate while being subjected to various anxiety factors such as morning weakness, but at the same time doing my best to keep my concentration intact.

2013 4CC Medalists' Press Conference - Yuzuru Hanyu
- Looking back at this competition
First of all, I feel really gutted today. On the contrary, I felt reinvigorated right after I was done performing. And now that everything's over, I also feel mentally relieved.
I'm full of regrets over my performance, but on the bright side, I haven't lost my confidence and I feel that I still can manage to do this. This season, I haven't been able to land quad salchows successfully in most of the competitions, but I was able to land them during the official practices, and I think for the most part, I've gotten the hang of it, so I can say that (participating in) 4CC has been quite fruitful.
I also feel that it is important to practice quad toes and and quad sals back-to-back. Apart from that, without letting myself get carried away with the mistakes I did in the second half of the program this time, I'd like to keep practicing while keeping my focus on carrying over the flow, the steps and other aspects (of the performance) that I have at the start (of the program) to the end.
Going into Worlds, I believe that 4CC is an important competition and the outcome (of this competition) has some bearing on whatever happens next. And I think that finishing 2nd, in and of itself, is good. Personally, after watching Kevin's performance, I was so impressed that I couldn't help but think "I wish I could ask him about his training methods". *Laughs*
Kevin: *Laughs*
Regardless of the outcome, I had put a lot of focus on quad sals, but I made an unsuccessful attempt at it, not to mention I missed some of my jumping passes in the second half. These are the challenges I experienced at 4CC, and I plan to capitalize on these mistakes and make the best of them as I prepare for Worlds. These are the things that I've considered after 4CC, so, I think the main issue here is one's *tolerance level (as in one's capacity to endure hardship?)

Pardon me for my amateurish translation skills.

ETA: Forgot to include the link to the original transcript in Japanese.

Last edited:

sampaguita

Rinkside
Pardon me for my amateurish translation skills.

ETA: Forgot to include the link to the original transcript in Japanese.

Are you kidding? Your translation was great! I actually made a translation of this too, but you posted first! :)

Last edited:

sampaguita

Rinkside
Seems that it was also written somewhere in Yuzu's autobiography that he felt frustrated losing to Yan who was one year older than him at the 2005 Asian Novice Champs (can anyone who has the autobiography please clarify this?)

Hmm, not sure if this is the sentence you're looking for, but here's the original Japanese text:

また、ハン。ヤン選手も、強い。実は、彼のことは、よく知ってるんですよ。ノービスの一年目に、アジアンノービスという試合に最年少で出て、そこで戦ったのがハンヤンでした。
Literally: Han Yan is also strong. The truth is, I know a lot about him. In (his) first year as a novice, (he) entered the Asian Novice competition as the youngest, and competed there -- was Han Yan.

(Later sentences indicate that Yuzuru was on the same competition as Han Yan.) Based on grammar and the two sentences prior to the sentence in dispute, the youngest is Han Yan, not Yuzuru.

I can understand where the confusion came from. 一年目 means "first year", so that's probably where the "1 year" age gap came from; also, the lack of subject for "アジアンノービスという試合に最年少で出て" = "entered the Asian Novice competition as the youngest" may be misinterpreted as talking about Yuzuru, but the last part "のがハンヤンでした"="...was Han Yan" means that the one who entered the Asian Novice competition as the youngest and the one who "fought there [そこで戦った]" is one and the same person.

Last edited:

zydeco88

On the Ice
More Post-Banquet Photos

Intro
Stage Battle - Round 1 - Brawl amongst the Kings and their minions
Round 2 - Battle of the Kings!
Round 3 - R.I.P The Defeated One!

Dorks! :laugh:
Thanks, Misha for sharing the photos!

また、ハン。ヤン選手も、強い。実は、彼のことは、よく知ってるんですよ。ノービスの一年目に、アジアンノービスという試合に最年少で出て、そこで戦ったのがハンヤンでした。

(Later sentences indicate that Yuzuru was on the same competition as Han Yan.) Based on grammar and the two sentences prior to the sentence in dispute, the youngest is Han Yan, not Yuzuru.
Thanks, sampaguita. Can't always trust everything found on the internet, especially the ones without evidence, so that's why I was asking for clarification. :)

Last edited:

Elsa G

Rinkside
Can we stop the nonsense?
Give him a break.
How could hanyu knows?He only met Yan once when he was a child,he is a Japanese and Yan is a Chinese.They are not training mates or school buddies,they cann't communicate without interpretor.
:popcorn:

Next competition will be World Championship,can we talk about that?
He's got a lot of work to do if he want to win him a gold medal.

yude

Record Breaker
I can understand where the confusion came from.

Japanese language is very difficult indeed (even for the Japanese!).

Thank you for the links and translations everyone!!
As a fan, I thank Javier and Misha :)

lakeside

On the Ice
I just think it’s funny that someone would use Yuzru’s autobiography as evidence to show Han Yan’s age. What does Yuzru know about Han Yan? How many times has he seen Yan in his whole life? Even if Yan falsifies his age, like so many Chinese skaters and gymnasts do, how would Yuzru know that? Plus, Han Yan really has nothing to do with Yuzru’s fan thread.

Come on, if you guys care about Yuzru and speak Japanese so well, then can you please translate to us how’s Yuzru’s injury? Looks quite serious to me. I wish he’ll fully recover by the Worlds. I think that’s more important than someone else’s age.

sampaguita

Rinkside
Come on, if you guys care about Yuzru and speak Japanese so well, then can you please translate to us how’s Yuzru’s injury? Looks quite serious to me. I wish he’ll fully recover by the Worlds. I think that’s more important than someone else’s age.

You mean his ankle sprain? First of all, before we can translate anything, we need the source material. :) If anyone can give us that, we will do our best to translate it.

zydeco88

On the Ice
Yuzu never mentioned anything about the injury. Fans got the information from one of the Japanese color commentators during Fuji TV 4CC broadcast and from a Nikkan Sports article (which I sometimes consider as a tabloid newspaper). The summary of what's written there was already posted a few pages back. There have been some fans who over-dramatize the severity of his injury and even associate it with his lackluster performance in the free (ridiculous, I must say), but it looks to me that it is just a minor injury (or else he wouldn't have had a wonderful time @the banquet, fooling around with the other teenage boys). And he doesn't seem to be bothered by it in the slightest.

lakeside

On the Ice
Yuzu never mentioned anything about the injury. Fans got the information from one of the Japanese color commentators during Fuji TV 4CC broadcast and from a Nikkan Sports article (which I sometimes consider as a tabloid newspaper). The summary of what's written there was already posted a few pages back. There have been some fans who over-dramatize the severity of his injury and even associate it with his lackluster performance in the free (ridiculous, I must say), but it looks to me that it is just a minor injury (or else he wouldn't have had a wonderful time @the banquet, fooling around with the other teenage boys). And he doesn't seem to be bothered by it in the slightest.
I don’t think the fans are over-dramatizing. If you show his picture to an ophthalmologist s/he’ll tell you that with that kind of injury it’s dangerous to do jumps and spins. My friend who reads Japanese said Yuzru bleeded so much, he couldn’t sleep well and had to apply ice compress at night. Well, I don’t read Japanese so I tried to see if I can find something informative here, but I see a bunch of translation about someone else’s age but not much about Yuzru’s physical condition.

I’m not a longtime fan of Yuzru, but I also know that he has never mentioned his injury at any competitions. Like at 2011 GPF he had an ankle sprain and at 2012 GPF he had a stomach bug, which affected his performance, but he himself did not mention them either. Plus, he always has fun and would not let his injury affect him at the banquets. Have you seen his photos at 2011 GPF and 2012 Worlds banquets? He always has a lot of fun despite injuries.

sweet_Michelle

Rinkside

It's hard to tell how serious Yuzu's injury is, I mean above his right eye. Even he seriously injured his right ankle during 2012 WC, he never mentioned it throughout the competition and still managed to gave good performance at EX & had fun with other skaters during rehearsal.
As fans we may never know since he doesn't like talking about injuries and showing his weakness, no matter it's affected his performance or not. I think the injury is more serious than how it's looked and reported but hardly seems to have a long term impact. Hope he'll get better soon and be more careful next time.

Last edited:

let`s talk

Match Penalty
My friend who reads Japanese said Yuzru bleeded so much, he couldn’t sleep well and had to apply ice compress at night.
Really? I thought he had a minor accident with the door right before the FS event. Was he supposed to take a nap after that? Does you reading-Japanese friend knows something that no one else knows? Could you share the link?

zydeco88

On the Ice
My friend who reads Japanese said Yuzru bleeded so much, he couldn’t sleep well and had to apply ice compress at night.
The question is whether your friend's sources are reliable. I haven't come across a single credible source (such as Yomiuri or Mainichi Shinbun) reporting about the injury. Instead, I got Nikkan Sports and Friday (pretty much a gossip magazine) which have notorious reputations for disseminating questionable, exaggerated and, more often than not, false news, giving accounts about his injury. And that just puts me off. I guess we'll never know about the truth unless it comes directly from Yuzu himself. If he is indeed suffering from it, I hope he gets well soon.