Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 108 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

echotpe

On the Ice
I came across another interesting article, pretty touching actually: [link] :biggrin:

Thank Esopian's sharing. This article originally was from Sport Graphic Number #848, publishing in February 27 after Sochi Olympics.

Actually when I watched Yuzu’s new Ex program in FaOI video in the first time, the words of Tracy Wilson immediately came to my mind. Wow, he did learn new wrist rotation skill.

“I will teach him all of the skating skills to lay down a solid foundation, in addition to going into the smallest of details, such as how he rotates his wrists in order to improve the entire program altogether. In terms of his artistic skills, he has much more to learn in order to express his emotions and interpretation even more.

He has an immense amount of talent, and as long as he’s directed towards the right direction, there’s no saying what he can do. When all of this has been accomplished, he’ll definitely become a skater that seems to be out of this world.”

The time traveler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3th5CFvoOY

Interspectator

Record Breaker
"Japan's largest TV channels of the TV Asahi has acquired the exclusive rights to the October 10 to 12 . on the day of an international Finlandia Trophy Espoo -taitoluistelukilpailuun .

Figure Skating Association press release , the event will be in Japan, estimated at about 10 million viewers , possibly more. Exclusive rights in Japan, Finland, YLE television broadcast of the event .
-Google Translate"

Awesome. I hope they'll broadcast it live.

darazam

On the Ice
"Japan's largest TV channels of the TV Asahi has acquired the exclusive rights to the October 10 to 12 . on the day of an international Finlandia Trophy Espoo -taitoluistelukilpailuun .

Figure Skating Association press release , the event will be in Japan, estimated at about 10 million viewers , possibly more. Exclusive rights in Japan, Finland, YLE television broadcast of the event .
-Google Translate"
Same info from FT facebook: https://www.facebook.com/finlandiat...93597.399447143480000/678293305595381/?type=1

"Japanese TV Asahi has bought exclusive rights to the international figure skating competition Finlandia Trophy Espoo, to be held on 10–12 October 2014. The event is estimated to attract 10 million viewers in Japan. The exclusive right is limited to Japan, with the Finnish Broadcasting Company Yle televising the event in Finland."

Meoima

Match Penalty
Just copy and paste here, if any one interest:

http://ice-kingfisher.tumblr.com/post/96445744888/write-a-message-to-yuzuru
A Yuzuru Hanyu fan, Popular is collecting messages to Yuzuru, which she will print out and hand it to him at the Finlandia Trophy next month. She has done this at the 2013 Finlandia Trophy as well, and you can see a photo of Yuzuru with the roll of messages here.

The deadline is 5 October. You can directly comment to the page here, or if you like, you can send your message for Yuzuru to me, and I can translate it into Japanese and comment on the page for you.

Let’s send him our support!

smasma

On the Ice
Yuzu has just got himself a new job! This time he has been elected by the Japanese Cabinet Office to become the Tsunami Disaster Prevention Ambassador! Congrats! :clap:

Though I don't think he has to do much other than being the poster boy again and perhaps filming some short video clips. :laugh:

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
Yuzu has just got himself a new job! This time he has been elected by the Japanese Cabinet Office to become the Tsunami Disaster Prevention Ambassador! Congrats!
He is on his way on being the Ryan Seacrest of Figure Skating. As much as I aplaude his comitement hith the people affected by the earthquacke and tsunami I worry about his figure skating.

smasma

On the Ice
He is on his way on being the Ryan Seacrest of Figure Skating. As much as I aplaude his comitement hith the people affected by the earthquacke and tsunami I worry about his figure skating.

Well, we know he will never say no to these types of things as he likes to please everyone. We can only pray that this won't take up much of his time. Besides, he didn't have a choice on this one. He was being elected by the Cabinet anyways. I can't imagine he'll ever say no to his Prime Minister, right?! :biggrin:

dasani

On the Ice
Well, we know he will never say no to these types of things as he likes to please everyone. We can only pray that this won't take up much of his time. Besides, he didn't have a choice on this one. He was being elected by the Cabinet anyways. I can't imagine he'll ever say no to his Prime Minister, right?! :biggrin:

Pure personal speculation, but I think Yuzu, who has mentioned multiple times that he wanted to give back to those who are affected by the disaster, is probably happy that he can contribute this way, probably more so than taking on CMs of commercial products and such.

And don't forget back in April this year, when the Government of Japan announced Yuzu as one of the receivers of the Purple Ribbon Medal (紫綬褒章), fans were thinking Yuzu would need to prolong his stay in Japan after finishing the May ice shows (PIW in Hachinohe on May 10 & 11) because he would not dare to skip the medal ceremony (held on May 16). But lo and behold, he left Japan on May 14th to resume his training back in Canada! And opt to miss out on what is considered to be one of the most honorable medal ceremony to a Japanese citizen :laugh:

So i think we don't have to worry too much Yuzu being pushed around to do things, of course there are certain commitments that he cannot get away from (i.e. participating in so many ice shows during the off season), but in general I trust that him and those around him would take good care of his schedule. He did mention his desire of continuous involvement in rebuilding the disaster struck area after his retirement, the Ambassador campaign definitely helps to pave to the future of this goal. Plus these type of campaigns usually don't involve much activities so hopefully it won't take away too much of his training time.

But like many fans, I also can't wait for him to resume his training schedule! Brian and Javi seemed to have just wrapped up their vacation/summer camp, hopefully the crickets will reunite very soon for the new season kick-off!

Maria Victoria

Record Breaker
As it is off season, I would just like to share this interesting tidbit that I stumbled upon in "The Legendary Kurt Klub" website (http://www.kurtfiles.com/memorylane/m1990.htm) in its "Did you know?" section. It states that "In the Fall of 1989, Brian Orser gave Kurt his lucky stuffed animal that he had been carrying around in his skate bag for 10 years."

In light of that, I find Brian's describing Yuzuru as superstitious and before he became Yuzuru's coach, admittedly thinking of Yuzuru as this "weird kid" carrying Pooh around (Brian commented in a good-natured way that NOW he has to be the one to carry Pooh) a case of the pot calling the kettle black. ;) Further proof that coach and pupil seem to be a good match.

Thanks also to everyone who posted updates and links. I find the interview with Tracy Wilson particularly insightful. I have always felt she doesn't get as much credit as she should for Yuzuru's success (not from Brian Orser though). It was clear in her commentary in 2012 Worlds that back then she was already aware of Yuzuru's immense potential ("What an upside he has!") and obviously, she hasn't changed her mind. In fact she looked just as happy and as giddy as Yuzuru when he won Worlds two years later (https://33.media.tumblr.com/1b1cb9cde15f51d7583fcf3e29f03cd3/tumblr_nb5t4ogpf11tv8i85o7_r1_500.gif ). Credit to anniesgifs.

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
I came across another interesting article, pretty touching actually: [link] :biggrin:

Great article! Thanks Esopian for posting. Tracy seems to be an integral part of Yuzu's coaching team and she sums him up perfectly. Yes indeeed, the sky is the limit for this boy! :yay:

As for this : Tsunami Disaster Prevention Ambassador I find it worrisome that he is asked to do yet another job in Japan. He seems to be pulled in many directions there (shows, commercials, civic posts, interviews, etc.) that I wonder if he'll have any energy left to train. Hopefully when he gets back to Toronto things will settle down for him.

smasma

On the Ice
Pure personal speculation, but I think Yuzu, who has mentioned multiple times that he wanted to give back to those who are affected by the disaster, is probably happy that he can contribute this way, probably more so than taking on CMs of commercial products and such.

No doubt he's happy to be able to make his contribution in disaster recovery. I guess he also enjoys working on those CMs as well because he's been picking the products he likes such as video games and chocolates. :biggrin:

And don't forget back in April this year, when the Government of Japan announced Yuzu as one of the receivers of the Purple Ribbon Medal (紫綬褒章), fans were thinking Yuzu would need to prolong his stay in Japan after finishing the May ice shows (PIW in Hachinohe on May 10 & 11) because he would not dare to skip the medal ceremony (held on May 16). But lo and behold, he left Japan on May 14th to resume his training back in Canada! And opt to miss out on what is considered to be one of the most honorable medal ceremony to a Japanese citizen :laugh:

He did surprised everyone on that. But I guess he does have a schedule that he needs to follow. If he was scheduled to work on his new FP, then he needs to do just that.

So i think we don't have to worry too much Yuzu being pushed around to do things, of course there are certain commitments that he cannot get away from (i.e. participating in so many ice shows during the off season), but in general I trust that him and those around him would take good care of his schedule. He did mention his desire of continuous involvement in rebuilding the disaster struck area after his retirement, the Ambassador campaign definitely helps to pave to the future of this goal. Plus these type of campaigns usually don't involve much activities so hopefully it won't take away too much of his training time.

But like many fans, I also can't wait for him to resume his training schedule! Brian and Javi seemed to have just wrapped up their vacation/summer camp, hopefully the crickets will reunite very soon for the new season kick-off!

At this point I'm not worrying too much about his ambassador commitments, but rather than him being burnt out on all those ice shows during off season. Having said that, I'm glad it's all over and he can return to his normal live focusing on training and school. :yes:

PS: Have you noticed that both Brian and Javi jumped into the same lake from the same spot in their respective ALS Ice Bucket Challenge?? :laugh:

mikaboo

Medalist
Yuzuru's postage stamps set has its own twitter account now!
https://twitter.com/yuzustamp/media

Thanks for the links everyone.
I hope people can take pictures of Yuzuru's Sendai tourism PR if you find them in your local areas. He's doing a good job already. I want to go to Sendai now.

mikaboo

Medalist
Thanks also to everyone who posted updates and links. I find the interview with Tracy Wilson particularly insightful. I have always felt she doesn't get as much credit as she should for Yuzuru's success (not from Brian Orser though). It was clear in her commentary in 2012 Worlds that back then she was already aware of Yuzuru's immense potential ("What an upside he has!") and obviously, she hasn't changed her mind. In fact she looked just as happy and as giddy as Yuzuru when he won Worlds two years later (https://33.media.tumblr.com/1b1cb9cde15f51d7583fcf3e29f03cd3/tumblr_nb5t4ogpf11tv8i85o7_r1_500.gif ). Credit to anniesgifs.

I miss your posts Maria Victoria! Good to see you again here and there. ;)
I agree about Tracey Wilson not getting as much recognition as Brian and David.
I wish she would have sat next to him in Saitama at K&C when Brian was busy with Javi.
Pooh did a good job, but I would have loved to see Tracey there as well.