Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 82 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

skatefan22

Medalist
Totally agree with you. :agree:

Just a bit off topic about this. Apparently, Pasquale Camerlengo has nominated Akko-chan to participate in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. It has finally hit the Japanese figure skaters community! Let's see if she will accept the challenge and who she will nominate next. I want to see her nominate Yuzu and yet I don't want Yuzu to get sick accepting the challenge because he has to enjoy his family vacation as well as perform at the 24hr TV soon. :slink:

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a lot of fun. Love it. But Yuzu doesn't have an SNS account, which might make it a bit hard for others to nominate him. :think: (Considering he has asthma, hope he doesn't get a cold because of a game:slink:)

smasma

On the Ice
how about him just throwing a bucket of water at someone else? :biggrin: would you be good with that?

Yes yes yes, throwing a bucket of water at someone else is good! Way to go Kurt!! It'll be fun to see The Cricket Brothers to do the honors for their beloved coach! :agree:

Somehow I think I saw Nam throwing a bucket of water at someone already. Or I could be just dreaming about it.:slink:

smasma

On the Ice
ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is a lot of fun. Love it. But Yuzu doesn't have an SNS account, which might make it a bit hard for others to nominate him. :think:

We'll just have to wait and see. The challenge has already hit the Cricket Club! :biggrin:

Nicky_10

Rinkside
Also, that makes it much less OT for me to post an essay I've stumbled upon recently: So You Want To Learn Japanese. Reason two and three are a bit blah, but the first part had me in tears :laugh:
(and before anybody gets ready to stone me for "making fun of" a foreign language/culture [which I'm not], please realize that I had pretty much the same reaction to Mark Twain's remarks regarding The Awful German Language.)

This was funny :D
You know we have a book called "Japanisch - Sprache des Teufels?" (I don't know if there's an english version of it but translated it means "japanese - language of the devil?")
Actually it's kind of funny, because I succeded in learning japanese and still can't speak french.... (Which i started to learn way before japanese!)

SuzyQ

Medalist
You have no idea how much I love you people for this translation nitpicking :biggrin: I'm always happy when there's more than one translation for any interview.
Also, that makes it much less OT for me to post an essay I've stumbled upon recently: So You Want To Learn Japanese. Reason two and three are a bit blah, but the first part had me in tears

:rofl:

Kiss & Never Cry, Pamina :biggrin:

Actually, Japanese pronunciation is not so difficult, and the complicated grammer means that people do not mind the order of words so much in a sense. (It is my feeling that the order of words is more important in English.) You can even omit the subject term (I, you, he ....)!

The number of Hiragana is just around 50, and same for Katakana.
It's OK to memorize only 100 letters with some simple Kanji characters that Japanese children study at elementary school.

Even Japanese do not remember such huge number of Kanji all, memorizing 10 and forgetting, say, 7 at the same time :laugh:

Actually, most Japanese are always desparately lost in the level of "How to Master English Conversation in 10 Days". You Europeans seem to be bilingual, or multilingual. I envy you. In Japan, people who speak Osaka dialect and Standard Japanese may be called bilinguals (just joking).

Anyway, no Japanese have mastered Japanese language, I think. We make mistakes in the grammer or writing Kanji everyday. So, no afraid or hesitation to come into the exciting world of Japanese !

見られてなんぼ Mirarete nanbo. There is no show without the viewers (Thank you Sorrento !)

笑われてなんぼ Warawarete nanbo. It is nothing to be laughed at, or embarrasment even helps you (when learning a foreign language).

I will make this my motto in learning English :agree:

As Yuzuru's interview is very logical and his voice is clear, it is good for you to learn Japanese, I think.

foruiz

Final Flight
SuzyQ ありがとうございます。i will keep that motto in mind in learning your language as well. I agree that the news clips and interviews of Yuzu are a good way to practice one's comprehension of the grammar

Winnie_20

Record Breaker
Hi everybody, just a quick thanks for all the clips and interviews! Real life is so busy now, so I don't have time to check out tumblr etc., and it's really nice finding the clips here. :)

Time is flying by, I cannot believe the JGPs are about to start already, and soon Yuzuru Hanyu will be back in competitions, too. Yay!

Pamigena

Record Breaker
Kiss & Never Cry, Pamina
If only :party:

Actually, Japanese pronunciation is not so difficult,...
I guess not. Getting used to a completely different writing system, though... :biggrin: I feel you have to re-train your brain quite a bit before you associate those funny symbols with specific sounds and then in combination with a certain meaning.

In Japan, people who speak Osak dialect and Standard Japanese may be called bilinguals (just joking)
If you asked my parents, they'd probably tell you that I grew up bilingual, too (not joking). I was raised speaking standard German, but while my parents were at work the babysitter would always teach me Bavarian dialect, and when they came home I'd hit them with words they had never ever heard before. By the time I got to kindergarten they needed a dictionary for me :biggrin:

As Yuzuru's interview is very logical and his voice is clear, it is good for you to learn Japanese, I think.
That might just be the best incentive you can give people around here :laugh: awesome study material

and because I'm again feeling completely ON topic today: writing exercise, advanced level

Pamigena

Record Breaker
p. 620-625

From the other forum, I just copy and paste here:
post by yude » 15 Aug 2014 02:45

http://www.asahi.com/articles/DA3S11300320.html

This is the new article of Asahi news paper published on August 15, I don't subscribe for Asahi but I could read on this page (you have to log in but the membership is for free ) I am not sure if it is ok to translate whole article or not, so I'll make a small summary.

・He said, "The winning at the Olympics is the glory of the past."
・Having 3 quads in FP was Yuzuru's idea. "It was me said I wanted to".
・He isn't noticed by people very often when he walks on the streets in Canada. "Sometimes I am noticed by Chinese or Asian people in the places like super-market. By Canadian? No (laughs)." He said that it was good environment to concentrate on training.
・He hasn't been to Niagara falls (yet!). "I just go to the rink and come back home. I don't go downtown. But I hope I'll be able to see Masahiro Tanaka (a pitcher in Major league) in a game once."
・"I think I may be a passionate athlete in Manga or Anime. I don't like shopping in particular and I'm not interested in fashion. I am in Canada to do figure skating, so I like my life now more than using energy for other things."

I felt that Yuzuru had not been changed at all in a very good way, he said that he would be aiming for "different Yuzuru Hanyu", "New Yuzuru Hanyu" for next four years regardless of the results. "If I quit (skating), I might have been arrogant by now saying "I am the Olympic Champion!"", he said

In Japan, there is a category of Manga or Anime, or maybe novels, called "Spokon", mixed word of Sports+Konjo (meaning guts), featuring heroes or heroines who devote themselves in sports.

For example, "Captain Tsubasa, AKA Flash Kicker", "The Prince of Tennis", "Aim for the Ace!", "Star of the Giants" (a bit old one), and also there are figure skater stories including "Blizzard Axel".

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/スポ根

Interestingly, there is an Italian Wiki about this. Maybe you can google this into English.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spokon

Lots of Japanese (including me) are thinking Yuzuru's life is nothing but a "Spokon"

Actually, Yuzu sets his season's goal quite ambitious.

He left a wish message of Japanese star festival (Tanabata) in Ice Rink Sendai. He wrote two wishes this season:
* SP and FS, no miss at all.
* Japan Nationals, GPF and Worlds, the second consecutive year champions!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvALfchCYAAMD3n.jpg:large

Someone has just translated the latest interview with Yuzuru on tumblr. I will paste
Credit: 311mi@tumblr

http://311mi.tumblr.com/post/94888004868/yuzuru-hanyu-the-win-at-the-olympics-are-something-of
=>
Thank you Meoima for the information .

Very sorry for my nitpicking. I just felt uneasy for some difference in nuance. You can ignore if you don't mind.
I want to revise some parts as the bold parts:

“I want to be able to never stop going forward —to be able to keep on changing to improve my current abilities. The win at the Olympics are something of the past. That was a result that I had gotten in the previous season.”

"He will be skating to “The Phantom of the Opera” for his free skate. After having heard it in music class back in junior high, he’s always longed to be able to skate along to this song. “I'm not a type of skater who performs powerfully, but I hope that I will be able to express my own style of the Phantom to everyone.”

"When asked whether or not he’s recognized on the streets, he smiled and replied: “Very rarely.” He then adds that “Occasionally when I go to the supermarket, people of Chinese decent, or Asians in general, will recognize me. Canadians? Not yet… Ah, but recently, when I was getting on a bus, a Canadian old man asked me, "You are a figure skater, aren't you?" Anyway, this is a great place for me to concentrate in training.”

"This type of lifestyle allows him to live on in ease and away from all of the pressure. “I think I’m like the enthusiastic and devoted type of athletes in sports mangas… I don’t really like shopping, and I’m not too interested in fashion. I came to Canada in order to skate, and would rather focus on what I have right now than waste time and energy worrying about something else.”

"Nothing begins if not watched by the audience"

“When training, if nobody is watching me, I don’t feel as motivated. I think all figure skaters are like this… In the end, Figure Skating is such a sport that nothing begins if not watched by the audience, and I like being watched and attracting the attention.”

"I want to be able to focus all of my concentration into being foot perfect, and that’s all that’s been going on my mind lately. If I had retired by now, I might have boasted that I was the Olympic champion!

All the more, in these four years, I plan to become a completely different figure skater from my skating career till the last season. I don’t want to keep going at my current level. In the end, it’s not about the score, but that I want to be able to continue improving and creating something new.”

It is difficult to translate "見られてなんぼ”
"nothing begins if not watched", or "entirely dependent on whether watched", or "to be watched is the precondition", or ....

I expect your imagination from here.
=>
I think 見られてなんぼ could mean 見られなければいけない, which means "have to be watched", but I could be wrong. To me that means he enjoys to be the center of the attention. He wants people to watch him.
=>
Or,

As なんぼ is "how much" in Osaka dialect, I think it literally means "it becomes relevant, or having value only after being watched." ? So, "Figure skating is a sport which becomes having value only after being watched", if detailed, but too detailed

There are many (verb) してなんぼ as slangs. I want an equivalent slang in English

Anyway, we just understand Yuzuru likes to be watched and attract attention. No one denies he has an essential element as a figure skater
=>
Yes, I think you've hit the target! "Having value only after being watched" is exactly it!

New Video about POTO!
We are fortunate to have god-like uploaders

I don't think I heard "Point of No Return" before, so far that's 4 songs, confirmed, right? Angel of Music -> Overture -> Point of No Return -> Music of the Night

羽生結弦「オペラ座の怪人」 / 音源検証 "Music Inspection"

Using latest footage I linked before, someone has edited a probable music cut for the first part of the program/timed it to the music so we can view without the news commentators voice-over. (From 4:09 onwards the coloured parts are the parts that are definitely correct, the black/white parts are filler because no footage yet).

Another interview translation from 311mi tumblr, I will just post the link here, this time it's an old interview, in 2012. Yuzuru talked about how his mother and family supported him to continue skating after the Earthquake:
http://311mi.tumblr.com/post/94929582928/my-mothers-words-motivated-me-to-get-back-on-the-ice
All credit to 311mi tumblr.

Esopian

Final Flight
Hi everybody, just a quick thanks for all the clips and interviews! Real life is so busy now, so I don't have time to check out tumblr etc., and it's really nice finding the clips here. :)

Yeah, same. :yes: Sometimes life gets really busy and the time to go on the internet decreases (for example tumblr). Glad someone else thinks the same.

And about learning Japanese, a few years ago I attended a Japanese language class out of curiosity for an entire year and it really helped!! One reason I didn't continue was because it wasn't the cheapest class. Where I lived in North America, there weren't that many people who actually spoke Japanese ... so it was hard to practice. I really do hope to further study the language another time; overall learning Japanese was a new and interesting experience. :)

Sandpiper

Record Breaker
In case if anyone appreciates some classic 70's shoujo manga, someone drew Hanyu in his Chopin outfit in the style of Rose of Versailles: https://twitter.com/629Miky/status/500975886699470848/photo/1

I really like 70's shoujo manga aesthetics, especially stuff by the big names like Ikeda Riyoko, Hagio Moto, and Takemiya Keiko (Towards the Terra! :love:)
Woah, that's really interesting! Thanks for the link. Yuzu makes a wonderful prince, and the Chopin outfit looks much better in '70s shojo style. (Also reminds me I still have yet to finish Rose of Versailles, lol).

ayarose

On the Ice
I think we need to have more trust in Yuzu and his decisions. For him to be happy and fulfilled he needs to push the bar higher and contiune to grow. This to me seems admirable and is the mindset that has worked for him so far. I also think Orser is keeping a watchful eye and will make sure Yuzu stays healthy and strong. In other words...relax! He's doing what he loves and we need to be happy for him and not worry. :thumbsup:

Totally agree, I won't stop worrying for his knees but I totally understand his feelings of wanting to aim higher. I don't think I'll be happy if I'll stagnate, I tried that once and end up feeling like a candle flame slowly dying out. I was not happy and I caused people around me to be unhappy as well. Setting the bar higher livens up Yuzu's competitive spirit.