Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 36 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

zydeco88

On the Ice
I can see him wanting to push through with the competition despite injuries, unfortunately.

Yes, he's quite an overly ambitious kid (though the same can be said about his current team) and doesn't like to be viewed as weak and whiny. Borser actually proposed the idea of doing two 4Ts in the free instead of two different types of quads but he refused. And, in this number bunshun article, he refused to talk about his knee injury when asked by the media. I wish that his team had kept silent as well instead of blabbering excuses. I don't think he likes it, but in the hindsight, it could be because of the media attention. They demanded explanation for what has happened to him. It's just different from how it was in the past when he didn't have much reputation in the senior circuit and the media focus was not so much on him.
Anyway, glad that someone from his team consoled him and wiped the tears off his face. He needed it.

FTnoona

Final Flight
I hope that this poor showing at worlds won't affect his confidence going into the Olympic season, especially if Japan ends up with only 2 spots for the men next year. It might happen with Yuzu already in 9th, having crummmy practices, and Mura in 11th :cry:

It's good that he's got a fighting spirit, but imo someone's got to step up and put their foot down when it comes to his health. It just might not be his time in Sochi. There is no need to push all these quads because he is young enough to take the time to develop them. Why burn out to reach Sochi when he is young enough to survive another olympic cycle?

Becki

Medalist
I hope that this poor showing at worlds won't affect his confidence going into the Olympic season, especially if Japan ends up with only 2 spots for the men next year. It might happen with Yuzu already in 9th, having crummmy practices, and Mura in 11th :cry:
It's good that he's got a fighting spirit, but imo someone's got to step up and put their foot down when it comes to his health. It just might not be his time in Sochi. There is no need to push all these quads because he is young enough to take the time to develop them. Why burn out to reach Sochi when he is young enough to survive another olympic cycle?

I am debating if I should watch the Men's Long Program live tomorrow.....

Anyways, I'll still be proud of Hanyu for pulling it through no matter what happens tomorrow. I was reviewing the results from the previous World Championships, and Japan was really close to losing its 3 spots in 2009! Takahiko and Nobunari just made the magic number of 13!

giulia95

Medalist
Yes, he's quite an overly ambitious kid (though the same can be said about his current team) and doesn't like to be viewed as weak and whiny. Borser actually proposed the idea of doing two 4Ts in the free instead of two different types of quads but he refused. And, in this number bunshun article, he refused to talk about his knee injury when asked by the media. I wish that his team had kept silent as well instead of blabbering excuses. I don't think he likes it, but in the hindsight, it could be because of the media attention. They demanded explanation for what has happened to him. It's just different from how it was in the past when he didn't have much reputation in the senior circuit and the media focus was not so much on him.
Anyway, glad that someone from his team consoled him and wiped the tears off his face. He needed it.

- Yuzu is quite ambitious but he had a stunning trajectory of talent under his former coach.. I may say he's one of the best teen jumpers ever.:)

- he didn't talk about the sprained ankle last year because japanese skaters don't like excuses. The new team should respect the foreign skater's attitude and keeps silence.

- the team and the coach should ask themselves why this kid, who is known to be an amazing fighter and a very strong minded person able to overcome terrible personal situation, was crying after the SP ( and cried in 4CC K&C too) other then wipe his tears.:mad:

-may be they can watch some of the past FS and epic K&C scenes to have a better idea of the poor actual condition of their pupil, condition they don't seem to be aware of paradoxically. Their pupil used to be a very strong FS competitor .

-maybe we can start talking about how the coach change affects Yuzuru's jumping ability , since he is actually in truble even with a triple jump that he mastered when he was at the junior-middle school .

having that said I hope to see Yuzu smile for happiness tonight because I miss it so much and i'm upset when he cries.

FTnoona

Final Flight
- Yuzu is quite ambitious but he had a stunning trajectory of talent under his former coach.. I may say he's one of the best teen jumper ever.:)

- he didn't talk about the sprained ankle last year because japanese skaters don't like excuses. The new team should respect the foreign skater's attitude and keeps silence.

- the team and the coach should ask themselves why this kid, who is known to be an amazing fighter and a very strong minded person able to overcome terrible personal situation, was crying after the SP ( and cried in 4CC K&C too) other then wipe his tears.:mad:

-may be they can watch some of the past FS and epic K&C scenes to have a better idea of the poor actual condition of their pupil, condition they don't seem to be aware of paradoxically. Their pupil used to be a very strong FS competitor .

-maybe we can start talking about how the coach change affects Yuzuru's jumping ability , since he is actually in truble even with a triple jump that he mastered when he was at the junior-middle school .

having that said I hope to see Yuzu smile for happiness tonight because I miss it so much and i'm upset when he cries.

The picture of him forcing a smile while there were tears in his eyes was the most heart wrenching one.
I agree that it's very troubling that his triples have become a problem for him now. He had troubles with the lutz before, but now it's gotten to the point that he can't land them properly and he still lips.
Hasn't he been getting sick often this season? It might be his bad luck or possibly having problems adjusting to the new environment?

giulia95

Medalist
The picture of him forcing a smile while there were tears in his eyes was the most heart wrenching one. I Hasn't he been getting sick often this season? It might be his bad luck or possibly having problems adjusting to the new environment?

Yuzu has always had asthma and a very fragile body. That's why he didn't trained intensively , but it had worked perfectly for him till last season.

The point is if his actual coach is able to handle this physical frailty and -I would dare to say- is able to handle so much talent in its developing trajectory without killing it.

treeloving

Medalist
I saw the picture of him crying and my heart break, I don't care about placement anymore, I just hope that he is happy!

figuristka

Medalist
Hope Yuzuru has a good FS. Sorry he was unwell and had the knee injury. I think next season perhaps Dai and Yuzuru should not do so many shows leading up to OG, they could be tired as they had a long season and have done shows in Japan. I know when i lived in Finland with Asthma, any cold i got was much worse than average as it went to my lungs.

deedee1

Record Breaker
I am not a regular visitor here, so may not be welcomed by his devoted fans here I am afraid...but after seeing his SP showing, I sincerely hope Yuzuru is fine both physically and mentally. He, not only pale, but looked to me to have lost a couple of pounds again. :no:

Securing 3 spots for Sochi is important for the sake of JSF and its skaters, yes, but its skaters' health issue/conditions should come as the first priority no matter what. There is always a 'next' World Championship. every season. However, there is only one skater in the world named Yuzuru Hanyu. His team should think about WD in the Free if necessary. My belief is Daisuke and Takahito will, should and are very capable to do just fine to place high enough to secure 3 spots together. Especially Daisuke, as the most experienced skater on the senior circuit adn as someone who had to sit out the whole 2008-09 season due to almost-career-ending injury, without doubt will fight hard to get onto the podium at least, so that will give Takahito some room to breathe (i.e. 10th finish), you know. In the worst senario Japan may lose a spot in the end...so what? I would say. It's not the end of the world. It's just one spot in one skating competition at one olympic games. There will be another olympic games in 4 years. But if Yuzu still wants to compete in the Free, then I just hope Yuzuru does not further injure his knee. Fingers crossed.

treeloving

Medalist
I am not a regular visitor here, so may not be welcomed by his devoted fans here I am afraid...but after seeing his SP showing, I sincerely hope Yuzuru is fine both physically and mentally. He, not only pale, but looked to me to have lost a couple of pounds again. :no:

Securing 3 spots for Sochi is important for the sake of JSF and its skaters, yes, but its skaters' health issue/conditions should come as the first priority no matter what. There is always a 'next' World Championship. every season. However, there is only one skater in the world named Yuzuru Hanyu. His team should think about WD in the Free if necessary. My belief is Daisuke and Takahito will, should and are very capable to do just fine to place high enough to secure 3 spots together. Especially Daisuke, as the most experienced skater on the senior circuit adn as someone who had to sit out the whole 2008-09 season due to almost-career-ending injury, without doubt will fight hard to get onto the podium at least, so that will give Takahito some room to breathe (i.e. 10th finish), you know. In the worst senario Japan may lose a spot in the end...so what? I would say. It's not the end of the world. It's just one spot in one skating competition at one olympic games. There will be another olympic games in 4 years. But if Yuzu still wants to compete in the Free, then I just hope Yuzuru does not further injure his knee. Fingers crossed.

As a Yuzuru fan, I'm really glad to see your post and totally agree on every points.

FTnoona

Final Flight
Omgerd did Hanyu come back fighting! I'm sorry I ever doubted him :bow:
Did he say that his knee felt sore when he was in the KnC with Wilson? I hope he didn't end up making the injury much worse than it could have been. I still stand by what I said that he should stand down if he is injured.
Did anyone think that Hanyu could have gotten a bit more in PCS for his free?

yude

Record Breaker
He did it again. I can't believe it.
I am just SO proud of him.

Now please heel your injured left knee, Yuzuru.
You may come back to Japan for examination, but not for WTT.

sampaguita

Rinkside
Yuzuru, I am so proud of you!!! You skated for Japan's 3 Sochi spots without regard to your own health. You are a true hero.

I hope that when you go back home, Japanese media will have only good things to say about you, and not focus on not getting a medal (THAT's going to make me mad). Be proud of yourself Yuzuru!!! And please, take care of your health -- I still want to see you in the next two Olympics!

yude

Record Breaker

Thank you for your warm-hearted post.
I wish every Japanese skating fan was as nice as you were:agree:

sampaguita

Rinkside
I wish every Japanese skating fan was as nice as you were:agree:

yude, is that not true? because if it weren't, that's so sad. I hate it when people just care about medals and not about all the hard work and injuries these athletes have to go through to give a good show. :(

sampaguita

Rinkside
Here's a recent article on Men's FS. http://hochi.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/news/20130316-OHT1T00061.htm

Translating Yuzuru's comments (too literal, sorry -- but I hope I get the message across):

Yuzuru: "It was fighting spirit. My knee and ankle are injured, but I thought I would strive to complete it even if I collapse at the end. I have this immense feeling of achievement. I thought practice is really important."

This is really touching, Yuzu. Such fighting spirit. I salute you. :'(