Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season | Page 80 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2014-15 Season

satine

v Yuki Ishikawa v
Record Breaker
I guess it's just about raising the bar. And right now he pretty much is the bar, isn't he? *shrugs* add that to the list of things that are wrong with his body. Too bar-ish :sarcasm:

Yeah what a gross plank of a body he has. It really uglies up his jumps. -GOE all across the board. Shame on him and his family for giving him those genes :disapp:

Esopian

Final Flight
Agree, Yuzuru really likes to challenges himself like crazy!! :eek: Hopefully he doesn't tire himself out these days while practicing and does some other fun things (that's not skating). A visit to Niagara Falls would be refreshing for anyone; he should find some time to actually do some sight-seeing. ;)

Any more news on his possible appearance at the Cricket Club's exhibition gala at the end of August?

annca

On the Ice
In a unrelated thread to Yuzuru and you shouldn't go there. I don't think we should all go there and talk back since the one who said that is obviously an anti. I hope for the conversation to die out.
I am worried about Yuzuru's new layout, but given his stubbornness I guess there is no other choice. I wish him the best so all the body-type bashing should just stop. They even say Yuzuru's fans use his asthma as the excuse for him not doing well. Excuse me, Yuzuru not doing well yet he completed 2 quads 8 triples without any fall, a program that no one ever capable of doing. :sarcasm:

yeahh ive seen what she said :disapp:.. when she said that "hanyu fans" were using asthma as an excuse, i was getting ready to explain things but held back since i dont want to cause another stir... obviously fond of the 2 boys she compares to yuzu, wish she would stop though

I guess it's just about raising the bar. And right now he pretty much is the bar, isn't he? *shrugs*

the thing is.. pchan did the same thing after 2010 olys.. he raised the bar pretty high with his layout that only him could actually reach. then came someone who was able to do the same and beat(?) him at his own game... im afraid that it could actually happen to yuzu too..:cry:
he could have saved this layout for the next olys and just use the old layout since its pretty much still ahead of everybody's

Meoima

Match Penalty
the thing is.. pchan did the same thing after 2010 olys.. he raised the bar pretty high with his layout that only him could actually reach. then came someone who was able to do the same and beat(?) him at his own game... im afraid that it could actually happen to yuzu too..:cry:
he could have saved this layout for the next olys and just use the old layout since its pretty much still ahead of everybody's
We follow a skater's path not because of their layout, it's mostly because we see something special in them, and we want to see that special thing again. I don't care much about Yuzuru winning gold anymore, since he owns all. I mean, we couldn't ask for more, GPF, OGM and WGM. I will be glad if he wins more and more, but in the end I care more about his health and mostly, I hope he will have more clean programs.

The thing with P.Chan is, he set the bar but he stays comfortable with it. He hasn't increased his BV for a while. With Yuzuru it's different, he knows so well about the bar. He doesn't stay in the comfort zone. His BV just keeps going up. I am thrilled but also scared for him.

But nevertheless, by raising up the bar for himself, no one will ever dare say that he plays it safe like Yuna or PChan (don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Yuna and PChan, just repeating some lines people said about them). That mind set of Yuzuru, I know for sure will never change, regardless of the result.

Still feel very very worried over his health. I wish he would just stay safe, though.:slink: maybe he thinks it's okay to raise the bar as long as his body let him do it. But...crying!!! God damn it why does he have to be so stubborn?

PS: oh well, in the end the anti will just say, "His lack of body mass is bla bla bla, and he need to gain some weight....blabla, and he need to water down his program...blabla bla." :popcorn:

Wo|flax

Final Flight
The thing with P.Chan is, he set the bar but he stays comfortable with it. He hasn't increased his BV for a while. With Yuzuru it's different, he knows so well about the bar. He doesn't stay in the comfort zone. His BV just keeps going up. I am thrilled but also scared for him.

But nevertheless, by raising up the bar for himself, no one will ever dare say that he plays it safe like Yuna or PChan (don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Yuna and PChan, just repeating some lines people said about them). That mind set of Yuzuru, I know for sure will never change, regardless of the result.

Still feel very very worried over his health. I wish he would just stay safe, though.:slink: maybe he thinks it's okay to raise the bar as long as his body let him do it. But...crying!!! God damn it why does he have to be so stubborn?

PS: oh well, in the end the anti will just say, "His lack of body mass is bla bla bla, and he need to gain some weight....blabla, and he need to water down his program...blabla bla." :popcorn:

soo... totally unrelated to Yuzuru, so please tell me to delete if it's completely inappropriate; but any idea why Patrick never put a 4T in the second half (like another person who has not so good axel but good quad- Lambiel), and moved the 2A to the front, where he might have a better shot at not messing it up? like I feel he might have done better.

The anti-s are just scared ;) (I'm scared too tbqh, but excited also)

unico

Final Flight

There seems to be a mindset, particularly among the Japanese skaters, that you shouldn't win by just playing it safe, but should aspire to be the best that you can be even at the prospect of failure. Just like Asada who struggled through reworking her jump technique for years and refused to give up on her 3A, just like Takahashi who didn't even need the 4T which he fell on at the Vancouver Olympics (0 points!!!), in the end, it's not about winning because of other people, it's about winning against yourself.

People will say what they want about how Hanyu looks dead after an LP, but to me that doesn't show his weakness, it shows his strength. Strength of character, strength of his training, and strength of his self-belief.

sunnybear

Rinkside
Yeah. Just ignore the haters. It's just like how some people will call a skater with a skinny body type "anorexic", and turn around and call another more well-endowed skater "fat". There's really no pleasing everyone. :bang:

Actually I think Yuzuru has bulked up more compared to previous seasons. He still looks lean but he looks more muscular now. :D

Esopian

Final Flight
Wow, I love reading the comments here because they are really heartfelt, knowledgable and genuine. :) You guys practically write essays in the comments!! It just truly shows how much Yuzuru's fans care about him and his skating. :clap:

Wo|flax

Final Flight
There seems to be a mindset, particularly among the Japanese skaters, that you shouldn't win by just playing it safe, but should aspire to be the best that you can be even at the prospect of failure. Just like Asada who struggled through reworking her jump technique for years and refused to give up on her 3A, just like Takahashi who didn't even need the 4T which he fell on at the Vancouver Olympics (0 points!!!), in the end, it's not about winning because of other people, it's about winning against yourself.

People will say what they want about how Hanyu looks dead after an LP, but to me that doesn't show his weakness, it shows his strength. Strength of character, strength of his training, and strength of his self-belief.

:thumbsup: Even though I cried forever at Vancouver for Dai.

annca

On the Ice
We follow a skater's path not because of their layout, it's mostly because we see something special in them, and we want to see that special thing again. I don't care much about Yuzuru winning gold anymore, since he owns all. I mean, we couldn't ask for more, GPF, OGM and WGM. I will be glad if he wins more and more, but in the end I care more about his health and mostly, I hope he will have more clean programs.

well yeahh.. its not all about layouts.. his perseverance/competitive spirit (+skating style :) ) is what drew me to him in the first place.

i just meant that i wish he doesnt push himself too much (but i guess its not too much for him than i think it is :) ) if he wanted to win since i think his previous layout is pretty much still good to use, which could also be good health- wise. im just afraid of what will happen to his body once he pushes himself too much (what happened to plushy comes to my mind everytime.. no please :cry: )
but i agree, knowing his competitiveness.. i dont think he'll play it safe :laugh:

Rinkside

I really like what you just said here. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
Someone has just translated the latest interview with Yuzuru on tumblr. I will paste
Credit: 311mi@tumblr

YUZURU HANYU: “THE WIN AT THE OLYMPICS ARE SOMETHING OF THE PAST.” ; TOWARDS THE NEW SEASON

He has already become a world renowned skater. Having claimed the Olympic title back in February, he will be welcoming the new season with the title of “King”. Before it begins, Yuzuru talks about what his mindset towards his career is.

“I want to be able to never stop going forward —to be able to keep on changing to improve my current abilities. The win at the Olympics are something of the past. That was a result that I had gotten in the previous system.”

In order to fulfill his goal to constantly keep improving, he spends days on end in Toronto training with his coach, Brian Orser, to perfect the programs he plans on using this season. “When I skate, I’ll skate as if I won’t be able to skate the next day ever again. The four years prior to Sochi, and the four years after Sochi, I believe it’ll be completely different. I want to face this season as a new me.”

An Increase to Three Quads

As a method of challenging himself, he has increased the number of quads that make up his free skate. Compared to last season, he has added one more quad, equaling a total of three quads in his entire program. His plan is to complete a combination jump involving a quadruple toe-loop in the second half of the program, where skaters are rewarded more points due to fatigue. “I was the one who suggested putting the quad there. I like challenging hard jumps and combinations, as the satisfaction of being able to land it cleanly makes up for all of the previous struggles. My favorite feeling in the world is to be able to succeed after putting in all your concentration and hard work into something.”

He will be skating to “The Phantom of the Opera” for his free skate. After having heard it in music class back in junior high, he’s always longed to be able to skate along to this song. “My interpretation of the music isn’t the type that emulates strength or power, but I hope that I will be able to express my own style of the Phantom to everyone.”

A Lifestyle Free From Others’ Criticism

Yuzuru currently lives in Canada with his mother, which is completely different from Japan, where virtually everyone recognizes him. In Canada, he’s able to free himself from the constant watch of society, thus offering him a little peace of mind and a chance to relax.

When asked whether or not he’s recognized on the streets, he shyly smiled and replied: “Very rarely.” He then adds that “Occasionally when I go to the supermarket, people of Chinese decent, or Asians in general, will recognize me. Canadians? Not yet… Ah, but when I was on the bus one time, there was an old man who asked me if I was a figure skater! He told me to work hard in training, and that Toronto was a great place to train.”

Although the Niagara Falls are extremely close to Toronto, he has yet to head over to do some sightseeing. “I’m always either at home or at the rink. I’ve never been downtown either… I want to one day be able to see the MLB’s Masahiro Tanaka in action, though!”

This type of lifestyle allows him to live on in ease and away from all of the pressure. “I think I’m like the athletes in sports mangas… I don’t really like shopping, and I’m not too interested in fashion. I came to Canada in order to skate, and would rather focus on what I have right now than waste time and energy worrying about something else.”

Eager to Once Again Perform in Front of an Audience

Not only did he capture Olympic gold last season, but he also claimed the top spot on the podium at both the Grand Prix Final and the World Championships, thus being crowned as “King”. This season, he will be shouldering he excitement and expectation that “he’s definitely going to win” from the fans and audience. Interestingly enough, he has yet to feel the full weight of the burden. “Perhaps it’s because I haven’t competed yet that I feel indifferent towards everybody’s expectations. During the ice shows after the Olympics, however, I did indeed feel the pressure coming from the spectators… The “This is the Olympic and World Champion. He must skate very cleanly and perfectly.” kind of mindset. I don’t really think that this is a bad thing, though. If I feel that there is pressure being put on me to do well, I’ll train to the point where I will become perfect. Right now, I’ve been too busy training to really stop and think about everyone’s expectations of me…”

“When training, if nobody is watching me, I don’t feel as motivated. I think all figure skaters are like this… In the end, I think I’m just eager to perform in front of everyone and to receive all the cheering and encouragement once more, so I like being watched I suppose.”

Similar to his hero Evgeni Plushenko of Russia, who has been nicknamed as “King of the Ice”, he has become the target of all figure skaters this season. His ideal figure skater? “I don’t really have any ideal, and I don’t plan on setting one either. It’s because I have yet to retire, and I want to keep getting better and better. There are things I can do and things that I can’t do in practice everyday. I want to be able to focus all of my concentration into being foot perfect, and that’s all that’s been going on my mind lately. If I were to retire now, perhaps then I would be able to boast that I was the Olympic champion during my competitive career.”

“In these four years, I plan to become a completely different figure skater as the current Yuzuru Hanyu that everyone knows. I don’t want to keep going at my current level. In the end, it’s not about the score, but that I want to be able to continue improving and creating through my own hard work.”
http://311mi.tumblr.com/post/94888004868/yuzuru-hanyu-the-win-at-the-olympics-are-something-of

skatefan22

Medalist
Back to Yuzuru, now they are bashing his body type which I find quite absurd. I mean it's not much different from bashing lady skaters for their weight.
I am so :bang: for Yuzuru because of his stubborn on the layout. I mean, seriously I think he could just win with his previous layout of last season, why make it higher I don't get it. So worried for his body.

Just saw a video about Yuzu's 6-mins warm up at sochi fs. I don't speak Japanese, but it seems that the uploader was saying that some fans cheered for Dai whenever Yuzu was attempting jumps. It would be better if the video can show what Dai was doing. If Dai was also attempting jumps every time Yuzu jumps, then it is fine that the fans were cheering I think.

angelfacehanyu

Match Penalty
i'm so looking foward to what EXHIBITION NUMBER he will be skating to this season.

Hana wa saku or The Final Time Traveller?
OR even something new like ... something from the Phantom of the opera?

ioanna

Record Breaker
Just saw a video about Yuzu's 6-mins warm up at sochi fs. I don't speak Japanese, but it seems that the uploader was saying that some fans cheered for Dai whenever Yuzu was attempting jumps. It would be better if the video can show what Dai was doing. If Dai was also attempting jumps every time Yuzu jumps, then it is fine that the fans were cheering I think.
You can briefly see Dai skating at around 0:09 and 0:40. This was the 6 min warm up for the last group in the long program (top 6 finishers in the short). Dai was 4th after the short program so he's there with the rest of them. :)

Meoima

Match Penalty
You can briefly see Dai skating at around 0:09 and 0:40. This was the 6 min warm up for the last group in the long program (top 6 finishers in the short). Dai was 4th after the short program so he's there with the rest of them. :)
yes, Dai was there too so it's perfectly normal as his fans were cheering for him. Maybe the uploader was sitting near the section that had many Dai's fans.

i'm so looking foward to what EXHIBITION NUMBER he will be skating to this season.
Hana wa saku or The Final Time Traveller?
OR even something new like ... something from the Phantom of the opera?
I think in Japan it will be Hana wa Saku.
But in other country, maybe he will use PW as the ex since he never use music with Japan lyrics outside of Japan. And the Final Time Traveller is just a one time collaboration, the choreography was done in haste so I doubt that he even remember the choreography till now.

unico

Final Flight

Ooooh, those comments are really better left untranslated. :slink:

RE: Exhibitions, I thought that both Hana wa saku and The Final Time Traveller were quickly-put together specials (one for the NHK broadcast, one for FaOI with Sarah Alainn)? I would love to see a new exhibition, preferrably something fun and upbeat! I hate to say it but I really don't like Sashida Fumiya's voice during ballads... I would have loved Hana wa saku 1000000x more if it was with the children's choir.