Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season | Page 33 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2012-13 Season

sampaguita

Rinkside
Thanks for the article jjane!

Quite off-topic but: does anyone know from which soundtrack Yuzuru got his FS music? I know it's Notre Dame de Paris, but the original one had lyrics and the music that he used seemed to be an instrumental cover...Thanks in advance!

jjane45

On the Ice
You guys are welcome. Would be awesome if our Japanese experts could take a look at the questionable parts (notes with question marks) in post #1108 :D

The foundation joke was funny. Personally Orser will forever be the "horse trader" in my mind, LOL!

zydeco88

On the Ice
4CC - Q&A session with Japanese fans after the FS small medal ceremony
(Aaron was present earlier but switched places with Han Yan for the medalists' photo and Q&A sessions)

Source:
nico nico douga (registration required to view the video; longer version as it was taped from the beginning of the Q&A session)
YT (taped right as Yuzu began to answer the first question; marked with * below)

Some words are hard to decipher though, due to the background noises. Hope that the translation does justice and still retains the gist of the questions and answers

MC: Let's give a huge applause to the skaters.
(Yuzu, Kevin and Yan starts leaving the venue by mistake, only to be summoned back for the Q&A :laugh: Must have been embarrassed)
MC: Please raise your hand if you'd like to pose a question.
Q1: I'm directing my question to Mr. Hanyu. You've had some problems with your Lutzes this time and I'd like to know why you always looked over your shoulder the minute before initiating the jump take-off.
*Yuzu: Well, Brian suggested looking behind right before initiating the jump take-off. He said by doing so, I'll be able to confirm my body's axis and the flight path. So, that's why I did that. But more importantly, I've let myself stumble while on a stroll down Parisienne Walkways (Crowd: Laughs). I'll keep this in mind and do it properly next time. (Crowd: (Cheers) Do your best!)
[Parisienne Walkways = Pari no Sanpomichi (パリの散歩道) in Japanese. So, he was making a pun with the word Walkways (散歩道) and walk/stroll (散歩) to indirectly refer to his singled Lutz in the SP :laugh:]

MC: Has anyone got any questions for Mr. Kevin?
Q2: Is there any skater you aspire to be like?
Kevin: (In English)
MC: Is there anyone who has questions for Mr. Han Yan?
Q3: Um, why do you always take close-up pictures of your face and upload it on the net (on his personal weibo blog)?
Crowd: (Roars in laughters and cheers)
Yan: (Smiles sheepishly) Because I've got nothing else to do.
MC: Lastly, please pose a general question to all three skaters. C'mon guys, liven things up! Let's ask this little girl over here, who's probably the youngest among those who put up their hands just now.
Little girl: Please give me your autographs. (Crowd: Laughs)
MC: Let's ask another person, the one who wished to direct her question to Kevin just now.
Q4: Looking back, what do you think of your performance?
Kevin: (In English)
Yuzu: (Repeats what Kevin's said) Me too, right from the get-go of the short program up until the last pose in the free.... (Crowd: Laughs) Am I not allowed to say the same thing? Oh well, since I speak Japanese, I should give a proper answer. Firstly, I'm really disappointed for having missed the Lutz in the short and botched the quad sal in the free. Well, I did nothing but botched (a lot of things) this time. The result's turned out pretty disappointing, but I won't let it end like this, so I'd like to work hard to be able to stand in the same place as the person next to me is standing (1st place finish) at the Worlds Champs. And of course, we, Japanese men won't let this end on such a low note. Me and my seniors will band together, acknowledge this outcome and go the extra mile (for the next competition).
Crowd: (Cheers) Do your best! Admirable! Boss! Boy, you're really cool! :biggrin:
Yuzu: (Completely embarrassed, but there's no corner to hide in, so his knee-jerk reaction is to hide his face behind that scanty pint-sized box he's been holding :laugh:)
Yan: I think things have turned out quite well. But it's a little bit risky to have this kind of result.

Last edited:

zydeco88

On the Ice
At 2012 Worlds in Nice, Hanyu was 7th in SP but led after his LP. Coach Nanami Abe watched the final group and said: "Next year, you need an overseas teacher." (note: note sure about this one)
Exactly as written in the original text. :)

Maybe Coach Abe only suggested (note: short-term?) overseas training.
阿部コーチからすると、海外合宿程度の提案だったのかもしれない。
Literal translation from the original text:
Considering that (such a statement) came from Coach Abe, she could've probably suggested something along the lines of overseas training camps to him.

(So the writer of the article was just making an assumption about what Coach Abe's suggestion could've probably meant. So, in reality, we're not really sure whether Abe Nanami proposed that Yuzu be trained full-time by an overseas coach or that he live temporarily overseas and develop his skills through overseas training camps)

Until now, Hanyu got away by forcing power through the program (note: not quite sure).
今までの羽生は、ガツガツパワーで漕がないと前に進まなかった。
Up until now, he has been relying on his unremitting passion and energy to push himself forward (throughout the program).

Note:
ガツガツ = a Japanese phonomime which can be used to describe voracious/incessant/burning desire for sth
パワー = power, but I suppose it means something like youthful energy/passion here.

Thanks for your hard work jjane45. :)

jjane45

On the Ice
Thank YOU zydeco88!! That was a cute Q&A session, Yuzu was funny :D (cross-posting it to YAN Han thread)

And thank you so much for reviewing & correcting the most questionable parts of my translation, the last quote was especially hard and you framed it so beautifully!

pitterpatter

On the Ice
Quite off-topic but: does anyone know from which soundtrack Yuzuru got his FS music? I know it's Notre Dame de Paris, but the original one had lyrics and the music that he used seemed to be an instrumental cover...Thanks in advance!

sampaguita, his music is from the album of Notre Dame de Paris music recorded by the orchestra 'I Fiamminghi'. The songs he uses in his FS are Les Temps des Cathedrales, Les Sans-papiers, Tu Vas Me Detruire and Danse Esmeralda; in that order I believe. :)

jjane45

On the Ice
I am currently working with David Wilson, a master choreographer, on designing a new costume for Japanese national champion Yuzuru Hanyu, and I hope to help more skaters in this way.

Thanks for posting!! I assume the new costume comes out in time for Worlds in London and is for his LP?

Johnny Weir was on a Japanese TV show featuring his career, marriage and thoughts on Japanese skaters this afternoon.
About designing costumes, he said that Yuzuru was the first and would be the last male skater for him to design the costume while he has intention of helping pair teams or ladies.:laugh:
It was an interesting show (at least to me), I hope it will be on YT!

The youtube video is gone, but here is the relevant transcript:

For me its very important to support the young skaters because I remember when I was coming up, a lot of the older skaters were nervous about me, and weren't so nice all the time. So if young skaters ask for my help I'm always happy to do it. And Yuzuru's so talented and so interesting to look at on the ice, so I wanted to help even its just with his fashion. And it was his first year when he was competing at the senior level, so I wanted to help and give him an edge, so he didn't look like a baby.

Of course I will accept other people's ideas or wanting to work with me in some way, but I think it's just Yuzuru for me as my man skater. if lady or pair team ask me I would like to help but I'm very loyal to my friends. Yuzuru was the first and until he's done skating he would be the last.

Last edited:

zydeco88

On the Ice
I assume the new costume comes out in time for Worlds in London and is for his LP?
I was thinking the same thing, too. It could be a new costume for his Notre Dame LP. Cos, wouldn't it a bit too early to design next season's costume(s) when they still haven't decided on the programs?
Thanks ser22 for the info.

let`s talk

Match Penalty
:eek: weir costume.. "foundation, lotion, milky lotion", shichi-go-san girlish kimono, kawai skirt outfit in THE ICE... :slink:

Yuzu, come back home. :yes:

zydeco88

On the Ice
4CC FS CBC Commentary
LOL at Kurt's comment at 0:53 alluding to Yuzu's bad encounter with a door leaving the hotel:
What's obvious to me that walking through a door is harder for him than doing four revolutions. That is absolutely, quintessentially perfect. :laugh:

jjane45

On the Ice
Oh boy... CBC commentators surely found out about the accident very quickly.
Are there any more reports in Japan regarding of the new costume?

Hanaka

Rinkside
No, jjanet, since he is preparing for Worlds in Canada, no news, no reports, no interviews these days. But Worlds is almost 10 days away, so we'll see. :)