Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 52 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

jace93

On the Ice
He just didn't appear on many photos with them. He was like always far away from them. I don't want to think that the team treats Yuzu badly, I'm just worried about him. He's appeared on not so many photos while the Japanese team have been having fun together and taking photos together. He was also not with them during the closing ceremony of Olympics. He walked along with old doctor though I think it was because of such important reason as respect towards old man. Aslo, I've seen the photo where all skaters stood together but without Hanyu-san. I remember the fact that Daisuke's not admitted Yuzu's wins over him for a long time.

I must say that I also noticed it, especially some years ago... apart from kanako he didn't seem really close to anyone else, but in the last two years it seemed to change IMO, like I saw all the member of team japan interact with him way more often during competition, etc... I'm probably just over-thinking this, but maybe it was something along the lines of the new kid who is VERY competitive (something nearly anyone said about him) and much younger ( and that never helps) and that came in an already strong and well balanced group? anyway I think that even if this was real and not just something that my mind made up, I would say that it has changed and we shouldn't worry about it

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
Perhaps he misses out on a lot of "team building" and "networking" - due to training in Canada.

qigeshiliu

Spectator
Guys thank you very much! It seems my friends and I are just the part of another culture, that's why we can't convince ourselves that Yuzu's behaviour is 99%/100% natural. I really appreciated you help, I hope you all will enjoy the Worlds and our kid's performances! All of you helped me so much, I'm glad there are such kind and thoughtful people in this blog.
It seems that his obsession over Pooh and cute behaviour is really sincere and not made up. Right? :) Haha, we just can't realize that such young man can be obsessed with toys and children! But I've seen Yuzu crying many times just because of his sensibility and it can assure us that he's natural I guess...
All Japanese skaters from the team are really nice, I also see it. By the way, do you know why the team treats Yuzu, like, coldly? Many fans from my country think that they treat Yuzu as stranger even though they are so polite and nice with him.

I am not Japanese but I am familiar with their anime and TV dramas. You have to watch a lot of their anime and TV to get the tone of their culture, if you have not been there. Yuzuru's behaviour is very very very natural in my eyes. His behaviour is also very typical of what teen boy's mangas / animes depict: perseverance, never give up, better, higher. That's why he is often related to Japanese manga characters. He himself grew up in that culture. I'd imagine he picked those traits up naturally.

Think from another perspective - if one is so focused on what he/she does, who barely has any time left for any other things in life, do you think he will have time left for trying to fake? He/she will simply has no energy for nonsense...

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
I must say that I also noticed it, especially some years ago... apart from kanako he didn't seem really close to anyone else, but in the last two years it seemed to change IMO, like I saw all the member of team japan interact with him way more often during competition, etc... I'm probably just over-thinking this, but maybe it was something along the lines of the new kid who is VERY competitive (something nearly anyone said about him) and much younger ( and that never helps) and that came in an already strong and well balanced group? anyway I think that even if this was real and not just something that my mind made up, I would say that it has changed and we shouldn't worry about it

Well, thank you, I hope it really changed if there was some kind of discomfort between them. Personally I think that he was only close to Kanako because of his age. I mean, some people and he himself hinted that he's really shy when he's off the ice. I think this is what kind of relationships sempais and kohais usually have. Maybe Yuzu is so shy he can't go out with sempais very often or take photos with them. Maybe he thinks like "I don't want to intrude myself" when it comes to his sempais.
Also as YesWay said, he might be not so close to Japanese team because he trains in Kanada while Kanako, Akiko and now Mao train in Japan (I think I'm right?). Machida and Daisuke I think also trained together in the USA, didn't they?
I just hope Yuzu has close and really nice relationships with different skaters. I've heard of his really close friendship with Sashida Fumiya.

qigeshiliu

Spectator
I'm sorry I'm out of the topic!
Hello everyone! I love Yuzuru so much and this awesome forum as well! :love::laugh: And I'd like to ask you for some help so I could understand Yuzuru and his behaviour better.
When I found out about him I was shocked by how outgoing, kind, honest, modest and, what is the most important for me, how sincere he is (and in his behavioiur). But recently my friends have denied Yuzu and his personality. They said that he is too good to be true. They said his personality is too nice to be true. They said something like "He's too perfect to be a human who acts sincerely. He must have affectedness in his actions, behaviour and his personality." So they insisted that his actions and behaviour are affected. And their arguments were like "He's mathematician. His mind is that of a mathematician, analytical mind. He can't act like a girl or little baby. He's very smart and artistic. He may act like that in order to appeal to the audience. And his 'love' towards children, Pooh, his cheerful personality, childish pureness can be affected, "handmade". They mentioned his friendship with other skaters. "His friendship with Javi is strange. Why don't they go out together or make photos together and we rarely see them together? Maybe his sincere character that videos and articles show us is mere fake." They also mentioned his words when his classmates told the interviewer about him in the interview: "Please don't destroy the image of Yuzuru Hanyu!"
Please help me handle that. I can't reply anything against that, I don't want to be mistaken either. I've always thought that Hanyu is a person that has these qualities as his natural qualities and is always natural and organic, sincere with people, audience and himself. I really want to understand Hanyu, not have any doubts about him and tell people true things about him. :cry::bow:

I think your friends are sad people, who refuse to believe there are pure goodies in the

PatricksGaze

On the Ice
I think your friends are sad people, who refuse to believe there are pure goodies in the world, and constantly try to pick faults out of nothing.

They sure have tendency for that :biggrin:
By the way, what do you think about Pooh-obsession? Does he really like Pooh THAT much?;) It's so magical for me.

BusyMom

Medalist
Perhaps he misses out on a lot of "team building" and "networking" - due to training in Canada.
:agree: This team ,except Yuzuru, has been together for 10years more or less. When Yuzuru got into the team, he was still in school. After graduated, he left for Canada. Machida always looks uncomfortable around these guys too.

Another Asian culture, seniority is very important in every ways of life especially in male groups. That might be another explanation.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
:agree: This team ,except Yuzuru, has been together for 10years more or less. When Yuzuru got into the team, he was still in school. After graduated, he left for Canada. Machida always looks uncomfortable around these guys too.

Another Asian culture, seniority is very important in every ways of life especially in male groups. That might be another explanation.

:agree: They have a lot of respect towards seniors,I think they are careful to what they say or do around them because of that respect.

PatricksGaze

On the Ice

Don't really know. During the closing of Olympics Machida and Daisuke got along really well and comfortably. They danced and hang out together that time. I think they are really good friends.

BusyMom

Medalist
Don't really know. During the closing of Olympics Machida and Daisuke got along really well and comfortably. They danced and hang out together that time. I think they are really good friends.
Since Yuzuru is always nice, you think that he is faked. Now you saw Dai and Machida had a good time together during parts of Gala, you think they are really good friends.
umm this is started to get weirder and weirder every times you questioned Yuzuru's actions. I'm out.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania

Look, I think it's very nice that you worry about Yuzuru, but he's fine and (no matter if sociable or not) he looks happy and pleased with the way he is.:)

Poice

Final Flight
umm this is started to get weirder and weirder every times you questioned Yuzuru's actions. I'm out.

ITA, I read some of the last pages in this topic and I don't know if this discussion is appropriate. I mean - no one of us know Yuzuru and to be honest I think fan should focus on skating not personal life. That's why I wish Yuzuru great SP tomorrow! That could be 6th clean SP in a row, right?

FTnoona

Final Flight
Why in the world does it matter if his personality is fake or not. He is a figure skater first not some type of celebrity that makes money off of his personality. All his interviews come off humble and mature and if people choose to stay fixated on his "fake" personality you might wanna ask yourself if they are a fans of his outward appearance (personality included) or his skating :rolleye: As long as he gets the job done I for one couldn't care less if his personality is "fake" or not. Hanyu is about to skate his short program in less than a day and yet we fans are fixated on defending his personality.....

I'd imagine the pressure on Hanyu is enormous as it seems like it's only acceptable for him to come out of this world championships with gold.

i.v.v

Spectator
Most of the skaters in japan either train at kansai university or chukyo. Even before yuzu went to canada he already wasn't part of either group. Also machida and takahashi go to the same uni and use the same rink, so i actually found it odd that they aren't closer and didnt sit together during the ladies event. Anyways, all this doesnt even matter, not everyone has to be best buds with everyone.

Meoima

Match Penalty
Why in the world does it matter if his personality is fake or not. He is a figure skater first not some type of celebrity that makes money off of his personality. All his interviews come off humble and mature and if people choose to stay fixated on his "fake" personality you might wanna ask yourself if they are a fans of his outward appearance (personality included) or his skating :rolleye: As long as he gets the job done I for one couldn't care less if his personality is "fake" or not. Hanyu is about to skate his short program in less than a day and yet we fans are fixated on defending his personality.....

I'd imagine the pressure on Hanyu is enormous as it seems like it's only acceptable for him to come out of this world championships with gold.

Agree! :clap: poor Yuzu, he is still a kid, hasn't passed the coming of age day in Japan and now people are discussing his personality. He is an athlete not some idol. He does not sell character, all he does is skate. But I guess that is the price of the gold medal. Too much expectation and now it's his personality into the spot line. I think we should pay more attention to his skating. I do believe he will do well no matter what, the kid has a strong will, he can do that.

FTnoona

Final Flight
This world championships will be a real test for Hanyu. Will he be an athlete that wilts under pressure or will he be able to come out on top. Sochi showed that he could control the nerves in the SP, but the FS was almost a disaster even though he still fought through it. If I am not wrong, the last time Hanyu skated a clean competition was at '10 junior worlds. It would be really special if he could deliver that clean competition that's eluded him so far in the senior level in front of the home crowd in Japan.

Silvia451

Record Breaker
Country
Romania
Only a few hours left and probably my last post until I come back from school sooo...

GOOD LUCK, KID! I hope you'll shine as always and, more than anything, I hope you'll enjoy your performance! Over 100 points or not, it doesn't even matter. PW is already a memorable program and you are a memorable skater!

Yuzu fans, enjoy watching the competition!:biggrin:
*going to sleep*

Becki

Medalist
Most of the skaters in japan either train at kansai university or chukyo. Even before yuzu went to canada he already wasn't part of either group. Also machida and takahashi go to the same uni and use the same rink, so i actually found it odd that they aren't closer and didnt sit together during the ladies event. Anyways, all this doesnt even matter, not everyone has to be best buds with everyone.

Well, Tatsuki is 4 years younger than Daisuke so by the time Tatsuki began university, Daisuke already graduated.

Hanmgse

Record Breaker
Only a few hours left and probably my last post until I come back from school sooo...

GOOD LUCK, KID! I hope you'll shine as always and, more than anything, I hope you'll enjoy your performance! Over 100 points or not, it doesn't even matter. PW is already a memorable program and you are a memorable skater!

Yuzu fans, enjoy watching the competition!:biggrin:
*going to sleep*

:clap: I'll enjoy it no matter the result. Rest well :)