Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season | Page 20 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2013-14 Season

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Hey guys, have you read his Olympic profile yet?

http://www.sochi2014.com/en/athlete-yuzuru-hanyu

The bit that got me giggled is his hero is listed as 'British' Figure Skater Johnny Weir :laugh: (sources ISU 2013) I know it is cooler and more credit worthy to be a British fashion designer this days, but this is a new one!
The profile is also incomplete with mention of Winnie the Pooh, what is wrong with these writers?!

Anyway I was one of his earlier champions and remember I predicted him to be a future OGM since the beginning. Let's see if I am right :p To be honest, I didn't think he could do it this quad with the likes of Chan, Dai, Jeremy, Plushy, but more like 2018, but Plushy's quad rules since Vancouver really paved his chances, and how JSF seem to have really push him as their #1 these past 2 seasons has really boosted his PCS this year, so ultimately maybe he can exceed himself (regardless he was ranked 3rd and 4th at consecutive worlds)! If he manage to do it, I'd be happy to swallow my pride willingly!!

Maxi

Rinkside
During both the low and high season, she trains in Toronto, ON, Canada. (ISU, 14 Jan 2014)

Poor Yuzu... They wrote SHE?! I know he is totally adorable but still ....:bang:

Kittosuni

Medalist
Does he have girlfriend? Or he's a gay? I know its wrong to judge but a feminine demure doesnt really help and his choice of costumes too really confuses casual fans like me

yude

Record Breaker
Does he have girlfriend? Or he's a gay? I know its wrong to judge but a feminine demure doesnt really help and his choice of costumes too really confuses casual fans like me

What is your favorite program of Yuzuru? Since this is the thread for the ubers you know ;)

http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140201-1251665.html

It says that Yuzuru is supposed to arrive in Sochi on Feb.3 and that Japan and Russia are in the same group in the official practice for men's single, so Yuzuru and Plushenko might be together in the afternoon practice on Feb.4.

I think it's good for Yuzuru to see Plushenko before the competition :)

Paola D

Rinkside
http://www.nikkansports.com/sochi2014/figureskate/news/p-sochi-tp0-20140201-1251665.html

It says that Yuzuru is supposed to arrive in Sochi on Feb.3 and that Japan and Russia are in the same group in the official practice for men's single, so Yuzuru and Plushenko might be together in the afternoon practice on Feb.4.b

News clip about Yuzu and Plushenko.
"Here comes Hanyu's another rival whom he should watch out : Russia's tzar Evgeni Plushenko. He is also Hanyu's long-time idol since he was a little kid. Their battle is going to be a must to see. " (very, very rough summary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkS-03rW41M&feature=youtu.be

What if Plushenko comes to him, and whispers into his ear, "What'd you say if I said, I wouldn't mind coaching you?" ?
Can Yuzu concentrate on his skating?

phaeljones

On the Ice

It says that Yuzuru is supposed to arrive in Sochi on Feb.3 and that Japan and Russia are in the same group in the official practice for men's single, so Yuzuru and Plushenko might be together in the afternoon practice on Feb.4.

Thank you, Yude. I so admire Plushenko, not for just his skating, but for being a great mentor and inspiration to Yuzuru Hanyu. Plushy has been very kind throughout. These are two great giving souls and it is fantastic that they will be skating at the same Olympics.

airin

Rinkside

I have to say, I think the sexuality of an individual is not something that should be talked lightly in a public place. We need to be really sensitive and careful if we talk about that kind of things, and this is a fans’ thread so let’s be respectful to skaters:)
About your question, the only thing I would be able to say is that there is no way to know because Japanese skaters and other athletes rarely talk about their personal lives such as their girlfriends etc. in public unless they are exposed by paparazzi. Actually Oda and Mura have got married, but there had been no information about their girlfriends before they got married.
Personally I don’t enjoy his LP costume so much, but I’d like to point out that we need to consider the social way of viewing toward gender and sexuality differs among countries and cultures, as other posters has said in another thread. A way of viewing is merely a way, not the only way. I live in Japan, and as far as I know, I don’t think men’s figure skating is regarded to be gay-ish in Japan (of course it’s not thought to be macho though). Or rather, I think I can say people do not see in the way whether it is effeminate or not, well... at least compared to North America. So, I think it wouldn’t be a surprise if he had the same kind of way of viewing as a Japanese.
But this is my personal thoughts; other Japanese fans may have different viewpoints.

airin

Rinkside
News clip about Yuzu and Plushenko.
"Here comes Hanyu's another rival whom he should watch out : Russia's tzar Evgeni Plushenko. He is also Hanyu's long-time idol since he was a little kid. Their battle is going to be a must-to-see. " (very, very rough summary)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkS-03rW41M&feature=youtu.be

What if Plushenko comes to him, and whispers into his ear, "What'd you say if I said, I wouldn't mind coaching you?" ?
Can Yuzu concentrate on his skating?

I’m not taking it very realistic that Plushy might be his coach after Sochi:think:
But it will be a wonderful experience for him. Competing with his hero from his childhood, who is 12 year-old older than him, is almost a miracle! Hope Plushy can skate in good health, and Yuzu can focus on himself:yes:

giulia95

Medalist
I disagree about his beloved Pooh!!!:biggrin:

Yuzu just need to be himself and nothing else... I aspect some Pooh Bears with lots of flowers raining directly on the ice!!!!!!! Do you remember at TEB , when Yuzu said "no more!!"?:laugh:

moonkat

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Poor Yuzuru...
Pooh is his long-time charm. When he becomes nervous at competitions, the look on its face makes him relaxed.

By the way, Mishin and Plushenko always praise him very highly.
Mishin said, "Evgeni needs to compete with a skater who will embody the future of figureskating, but it is a great honor for him."
http://news.sportbox.ru/Vidy_sporta/Events/Sochi2014/spbnews_NI433341_Vidishi-Plyuschenko-esti

what no!!!
bring it!
give it a bow on top and name it poohka!

msteach3

Medalist
Country
United-States
Yuzu doesn't need Pooh to do well. He's a grownup now and has all the talent in the world. He'll be fine. :)