Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season | Page 1464 | Golden Skate

Yuzuru Hanyu: 2016-17 Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danibellerika

Medalist
Thanks for the references above! I'm also trying to learn kanji. Did you guys find it helped practicing writing the kanji while memorizing them? Or are reading/flashcards/mnemonics usually enough?

In my experience it is absolutely necessary to write them. The ones i haven't practised much i can read them but i can't write them (that's the sole reason why i was placed in level three and not level four at japanese school haha)
And i REALLY recommend the Anki app. I am using the All in One kanji deck, which might not be the best one to learn since it's in the order they teach the kanji at school but i'm beggining with 4th grade kanji already (plus some others i've learned from doing a ton of reading) so it might be ok for you guys.
And if anyone has a Nintendo DS and can acquire the game, i also use this to practice the stroke order and do drills when i have free time :)
(Or you could install an emulator on your phone like i did... :slink:)

Darn it, I have a Nintendo DS but now I don't know where it is. But this is a great idea. I usually don't have time to do a decent amount of writing practice, so anything that I can do on the go would be of great help. Maybe I'll try the emulator...

How do you maintain exposure to the language though? I know that helps a lot with retention, and it's kind of difficult when after doing studying, everything around you is in English so you have to shift right back.

(And sorry for the OT guys! Just really wanted to get some tips from fellow Nihongo learners.)
Definitely going to agree with Hydroblade. Writing, or at least familiarizing yourself with the stroke order, is essential. If you don't use it, you lose it. I have a DS and had that app, but I haven't used it in a long time myself. And when I had it I wasn't very serious in my kanji study. But if you can't find your DS and have a smart phone or tablet there are kanji apps there where you can practice the stroke order with your stylus. I use this one: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mindtwisted.kanjistudy&hl=en

There's probably one like it for iOS too. Even better, the first 100 kanji are free so you can test out the app and see if you like it.

As for maintaining the language, my Japanese is always a lot better when I am there. I find myself thinking in it more. And when I'm drinking it flows even better. I recommend listening to music or looking at news clips or commercials a few times in a day. Maybe take up watching some j-dramas. And using the apps and programs gives you the exposure too.

Idk how much money he got from commercials but I assume it must be huge. I stanned Korean idols before and I know their local commercials fees are in the range of a couple of million dollars. In the kpop community, it's a pretty famous general knowledge that Japan pays around 3 times more than in Korea. So I think for Yuzu to be fancy for his clothes is supposed to be easy? Especially considering his super high end taste of earphones ^ ^
I've said this before but I am so curious about his networth. How sweet can it be for the most popular MALE skater in this sport? I am really wondering if NBC will be able to tell us his yearly earnings like they did for Yuna Kim and Shaun White. She was at $8million/year before winning the Olys. And though Japan may pay more I had the impression that Yuna's richer than Mao.

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I will have to go back into the dark pages and look, lol. It was more leather, I think.

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
Zigeunerweisen... it will look better as nails than as a costume lol

OH.
MY.
GOD.
This. I will do this. I have another graduation event this week and our color is red.
:luv17: Definitely going for this!
Anyone wants tutorials? I did a RJ1 and my latest swan one :slink:
Ah, success!! On page 2340 there is a link to a facebook picture of him at the airport. I think it is Alia's post.
Such a brave soul. I feel like going back on the thread is like sinking into a neverending Ball Pit but instead of balls is just Yuzuru faces floating everywhere :slink:

Last edited:

liv

Record Breaker
I wanted to dip my toe in and look because my beloved Toronto maple leafs are trying to stay in the NHL playoffs as we speak and while I have the tv on, I am very nervous.... so diving back to Boston days was almost welcome, lol.

YuzusHydroblade

Match Penalty
I wanted to dip my toe in and look because my beloved Toronto maple leafs are trying to stay in the NHL playoffs as we speak and while I have the tv on, I am very nervous.... so diving back to Boston days was almost welcome, lol.

I suppose it's easier because our season ended with a big "Thank you!" and his request for us for next season (i forgot how you translate "来シースンまたよろしくおねがいします" :slink:) from our boy. Completely different to the season before it i guess :)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd like to see Yuzu bust out a cowboy Ex next season. He's already overloaded my creativity circuits with the Swan and my artistic vibes were satisfied. I'm formally submitting my request for a fun(ny) overload next season. It must include a cowboy hat.

#NotJoking

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
I'd like to see Yuzu bust out a cowboy Ex next season. He's already overloaded my creativity circuits with the Swan and my artistic vibes were satisfied. I'm formally submitting my request for a fun(ny) overload next season. It must include a cowboy hat.

#NotJoking

You rang? :biggrin:

Hanmgse

Record Breaker

#NotJoking

I second this! Bring funny and sassy Hanyu for EX :dance2:

AnyaFei

On the Ice

sublimeskating

Crouching Dreamer, Hidden Badass
On the Ice
>> not to be that guy but remember this is the Yuzuru thread not the evgenia thread. Not everyone is obligated to like her or be on board with the low key shipping going on. If you want to talk about her do it on her thread on take it to pm.

Anyway...
I kinda thought Yuzu didn't go for a quad battle at the end cuz none of the other boys did, he didn't want to pull any focus from Kanako or he was happy to let the girls have their moment since the girls were pretty much how team Japan won...
Or he was just tired and didn't want to [emoji38]

very impressed with how far the japanese girls have come! they did very well at WTT :thumbsup:

it was fun to see the girls enjoy themselves with their own quad battle! :)

also, thank you all for posting links, videos, pictures, etc.

there are SO MANY posts to go thru you guys update so quickly LOL

i sleep for ONE NIGHT and it's like 30+ pages!!!!!

Last edited:

narcissa

Record Breaker
Wow, I can't believe some people are trivializing Yuzuru's injury at Worlds last year. I just...can't. I know figure skating brings out strong emotions in people, but there should be limits, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.